windows vista

Jun 28, 2005
Visit site
do you have windows vista?we have it and it is sooooooo slow,it keeps freezing.does anyone know how to speed it up,as i feel like throwing the tower out of the window.were on xp before this and never had any probs,any ideas,thanks,adrian

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Adrian

I'm on Vista and haven't had any problems.

I'm no teckie but check that you have enough memory and that you processor is fast enough.

Windows is very memory hungry and if you dont have enough it will slow the PC.

My home laptop came preinstalled so is built to the minimum spec. However my works one (which is about 4 years old) isn't and so I'm getting a new one in a couple of weeks......it'll be like Christmas in my office !!!!!

Do some basic checks to make sure that you dont have any programs running that you dont need or any sheduled scans that can be done later. Some firewall settings can also cause slowness as can anti-virus software.

Failing that , does your works have any PC support , you could always buy them a coffee and get them to check it out.(Works for me and our vending machines are free!!)

Dec 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Adrian

I'm on Vista and haven't had any problems.

I'm no teckie but check that you have enough memory and that you processor is fast enough.

Windows is very memory hungry and if you dont have enough it will slow the PC.

My home laptop came preinstalled so is built to the minimum spec. However my works one (which is about 4 years old) isn't and so I'm getting a new one in a couple of weeks......it'll be like Christmas in my office !!!!!

Do some basic checks to make sure that you dont have any programs running that you dont need or any sheduled scans that can be done later. Some firewall settings can also cause slowness as can anti-virus software.

Failing that , does your works have any PC support , you could always buy them a coffee and get them to check it out.(Works for me and our vending machines are free!!)
My laptop has business spec vista and runs super quick. Our 'local' pc dealers IT guru sold it to me having loaded "onecare" anti virus after removing manufacturers pre-loaded Norton.

He demo'd the basic machine with Norton running against another running with "onecare" and "ms 2007 Office Professional suite. Without Norton and with the suite loaded it still ran a lot faster! I have 4gb memory & 300 something hard drive. Anti virus choice could be causing a major speed problem.

G

Just out of interest what is the general opinion of Vista? Is it worth the trouble to upgrade from XP. I have the upgrades but have never actually installed them as what XP does is more than adequate for me, at least i think it is.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi there

I have windows Vista only thing I would say is: It does seem to have a mind of its own. The old XP did what I wish it to do. Sometimes Vista just will not do as its told.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Scotchlad ,

I have to say I prefer XP , I just feel that Vista is less user friendly.

For instance , when Defragging the drive in XP you get to see the grid as the systemmoves files.In Vista you dont.

Call me old fashioned but I like to see something happening.

Also I do feel that there are times on Vista when the laptop seems to stall as if its nodded off for a few seconds. But having read other posts this could be my UncleVirus package.

It came with Norton preloaded , which I thought I'd disabled but it keeps firing up , also I've got the Virgin media PC Guard which is rubbish. I haven't been bothered to change either up till now but I think I need to get organised!!

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I work in It as a software developer. Whilst I am no Operating Systems expert I do know about using them. Its like asking a delivery driver about vans.

We've been here before. Does anybody remember windows ME? It was a mess. Just as windows 98 had settled down, ME was put upon us, Windows NT followed and then by XP. XP has been a massive success. Measure that success by how long its been with us and not replaced. Microsoft has become one of the richest companies in the world. How? by selling operating systems mainly. Their income from this stream is truly massive. They then become a victim of their own success. They want us all to upgrade every few years and they become richer.

In the IT development world, many people are very reluctant to upgrade to Vista. XP is now very stable and as you say does everything you want. Vista needs huge amounts of memory to function well. Now be brave, find out what memory is in your computer and then you can buy it online for a few quid. Its really easy to install yourself. Computers are designed to allow you to do this. Its not like changing a circuit board in your TV or anything.

Microsoft has extended the period within which you can buy a PC with XP installed. They wanted us all on Vista by now but the big boys said 'no chance yet'. If you think you are going to need a new PC next year, get it this year and get XP while you can.

End of sermon.......

May 5, 2005
Visit site
my laptop came with visat preinstalled and my sonin law,a tech geek for tiscali at milton keynes removed it and put XP on.I was used to this for spreadsheets and word and it works for me.Xp costs about

Dec 31, 2008
Visit site
Vista has not been the overwhelming success which Microsoft hoped it would be. There has been a lot of customer resistance to it and has seen people tending to stick with XP. Fear not though, Microsoft have seen the light and are in the process of issuing yet another Operating System which in it's Beta form is known as Windows 7. I have had a quick look at it but it seems to me to be yet another bundle of 'bells & whistles'. Only time will tell!!

Quack

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Rats. The maimsahibs laptop runs on Vista. Main pc is XP.

Why do these boffins keep fixing things that aren't broken?

Cheers

Dustydog

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Adrian, I would suggest 2Gb memory as a minimum. If you need advice with what you need, google crucial memory and they have a great feature which will identify what RAM you are currently using and what would match it.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
adrian

I have win 98 on my desktop, it works fast enough, but is prone to crashing, it's not used much now.

On my 4 year old acer laptop i have win xp, it is really slow, even though i've defraged it etc, it got worse after going on broadband and downloading upgrades?

Anyway it gave me a good excuse to upgade to a 17" laptop.

Its really good, and is preloaded with vista, i have had no problems.

The spec makes the difference.

core 2 duo t5800 processor

4gb ram

Its the spec that gives the speed?

Oh and its another acer, the last ones never failed so i bought another.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
My experiance with vista has been fine, my desk top runs xp and my lap top vista. the laptop was purchased with vista pre installed so the spec is fine with 4 gig of memory and dual processor but when i tried to upgrade the desk top it just would not work. my desk top has 4 gig of memory but only a single processor and a much older (3 years) motherboard so i think that the pc is just too old and incapable of running vista properly.

my advice is if you bought the pc with xp then stick to it if you bought it built for vista then you will find vista is a fine operating system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts