Windscreen issue

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would not try any "special" techniques to clean the window in case you could be accused of doing something that might have affected the windscreen, and the fact you have only had the vehicle for a few weeks, it is clearly (pun intended) a job for the seller to sort out.

As others have said you seem to have a good handle on your consumer rights you should know this.

As you will also know you need to advise your seller of the problem and also know that if they don't play ball when you ask them nicely to resolve it, you have to formally reject the vehicle to initiate your statutory rights.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You are correct. Dealer has stated that any film would be a factory fit. This is confirmed in the two links I posted in an earlier post where some others have had a similar issue.
The link I posted is clearly for aftermarket fitment so dealer may be wrong about factory fit.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The link I posted is clearly for aftermarket fitment so dealer may be wrong about factory fit.
Apologies I was not clear. Apparently according to the dealer it is standard on the windscreen even before the windscreen is fitted. I am not sure why it is fitted and its function. When they deliver new vehicles they normally have a white plastic film covering on the car across the front. I am wondering if perhaps there was a reaction between the two different plastic films which then caused the issue?

The biggest issue is that if it is an overcast or dull day, you cannot see the speckling. I have no idea if night time driving would be affected as I have not driven the vehicle at night. On country lanes with an approaching vehicle it may be a bit hazardous and the best option is just to stop until the approaching vehicle has passed.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Did you buy brand new. Sorry can’t remember
It is a 4 year old car bought from a franchised dealer. They are investigating.

What is the other of the two plastic films that you are referring to? The outer surface of a laminated windscreen is always glass, not plastic.
Dealer has stated that windscreen has some sort of protective film on it so only going by what dealer told me and looking at the issue, it seems to make sense? If you read the links that I posted earlier it seems that other Jeep owners have experienced something similar.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Dealer has stated that windscreen has some sort of protective film on it so only going by what dealer told me and looking at the issue, it seems to make sense? If you read the links that I posted earlier it seems that other Jeep owners have experienced something similar.
It’s quite possible that a previous owner decided to have plastic windshield protector fitted. And the installation hasn’t been successful.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

Hang on Buckman. All your links relate to problems over 10 years ago! Surely you are not suggesting Jeep windscreens have been that bad for so long?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I was not asking anyone to rectify the windscreen problem so not sure of your reply? I was asking if anyone else had come across anything similar.

Have I upset you in some way?
I was packing the caravan down ready to tow back home from North Yorkshire, hence the brevity of my earlier reply.
I'm home at last now, after an accident which led to the closure of the M1 delayed us for a couple of hours.
You haven't upset me, apologies if you formed that impression.
It's just that if I bought a car from a dealership which was under guarantee and the windscreen was opaque, I'd be straight back up there to see when they were going to fit my new windscreen, irrespective of whatever caused the problem.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I would surmise that any film that may have accumulated on the windscreen before it was installed could be due to failure to cover stocks of finished windscreens in their racks while awaiting shipment and these were then exposed to contaminants in the atmosphere which deposited themselves on the glass over an extended period of time. That would explain why only limited volumes are affected.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was packing the caravan down ready to tow back home from North Yorkshire, hence the brevity of my earlier reply.
I'm home at last now, after an accident which led to the closure of the M1 delayed us for a couple of hours.
You haven't upset me, apologies if you formed that impression.
It's just that if I bought a car from a dealership which was under guarantee and the windscreen was opaque, I'd be straight back up there to see when they were going to fit my new windscreen, irrespective of whatever caused the problem.
Thanks Parksy. I was a bit concerned that maybe I had done something that may have upset the apple cart.

The big issue here is that it only shows up in a certain light and it was only recently noticed and i was unsure if it was just me or an issue with the windscreen. I have emailed the dealer who investigating.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just wondering if the treatment is something like "RainX" fantastic when done properly but if not night time driving is horrible, and a home done one only lasts 25 hours of heavy rain.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Just wondering if the treatment is something like "RainX" fantastic when done properly but if not night time driving is horrible, and a home done one only lasts 25 hours of heavy rain.
That's what I was referring to when I mentioned nano particle coating, but as I said, even when the treatment was applied under laboratory conditions it never lasted very long.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Two days ago in the late afternoon I came to a T junction with the sun on my right. I could hardly see out of the driver's window as it had the same issue as the windscreen.

Later in the day I checked the passenger window when the sun was on the left of the vehicle and it also had the same issue as windscreen.

After discussion with dealership we have both concluded that the issue is not in the windscreen, but something that has been sprayed onto the vehicle at some point in the past and there is the possibility that the whole vehicle is affected and in addiotn to the windows even the bodywork may be affected.

We are hoping that a professional valet will remove all signs of the over spray if that is what the issue is on the vehicle. As said no way would any dealer of any brand have picked up this issue, but they have to carry the can.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Hope you mange to get it resolved as it sounds a real safety issue.

Bad enough driving in this mucky weather when the road spray covers the windshield and the low sun just blocks the view completely.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Dealer collected the vehicle for inspection and noted the following. Their driver experienced the problem with the windows on the drive back from ourselves. I was a bit worried that they might not pick up the issue.

Upon examination, it appears that the car is covered in some sort of industrial fall out or over spray and if you run your hand over both the glass and the wings etc you can feel a roughness to it.

At least they have confirmed that the issue is with the glass and also the paintwork. The car is now in their body shop and they will clean it off with solvent or at worst, will acid wash the car what ever that is. It is to be hoped that this will be completed by today at which point the dealer will then valet it so that they can re-assess.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Time for an update regarding windows. Dealer sent the vehicle to their body shop who cleaned it off with solvent or did an acid wash on the car.

They returned the vehicle today and no more specks on windows or paintwork and I am now a very happy bunny!

To be honest it was only when I posted a picture on the Jeep forum that someone else who has the same paintwork mentioned that their vehicle did not
have the white specks on the paintwork otherwise neither the dealer or myself would have been any the wiser so forums do work!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Time for an update regarding windows. Dealer sent the vehicle to their body shop who cleaned it off with solvent or did an acid wash on the car.

They returned the vehicle today and no more specks on windows or paintwork and I am now a very happy bunny!

To be honest it was only when I posted a picture on the Jeep forum that someone else who has the same paintwork mentioned that their vehicle did not
have the white specks on the paintwork otherwise neither the dealer or myself would have been any the wiser so forums do work!
Pleased that the outcome was positive for you. Not many more nails to drive in are there? Caravan sorted, car sorted things are looking up for you. 👍

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch and Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

But have they only done half the job? After stripping everything, I'd want to negotiate having a professional valet done to re-establish the paintwork protection.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But have they only done half the job? After stripping everything, I'd want to negotiate having a professional valet done to re-establish the paintwork protection.
They have done all that already as part of the refurbishment of the glass and paintwork. The valet was done after the specks had been removed.

Reactions: RogerL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts