Wine on Ferry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are again using Norfolk Line for our channel crossing this year, just wondered what red wine (Boxes) are on offer onboard. Last year was very good with 'Hardies' a good duty free buy, anyone know?

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
Better still , while still in France go to the local Cave Co-operative and buy your wine in 11 L Cubitainers - cheaper still and fantastic value .

We have been doing that now for several years - and the wine stores well , providing we clean the cubitainer Bags carefully and sterilise them they are fit for re-use too. They are made from heavy collapsible Plastic liners in a cardboard box and an opened Cubi lasts a looooooong time. Normally we only draw 1 or 2 glasses each a night.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Better still , while still in France go to the local Cave Co-operative and buy your wine in 11 L Cubitainers - cheaper still and fantastic value .

We have been doing that now for several years - and the wine stores well , providing we clean the cubitainer Bags carefully and sterilise them they are fit for re-use too. They are made from heavy collapsible Plastic liners in a cardboard box and an opened Cubi lasts a looooooong time. Normally we only draw 1 or 2 glasses each a night.
I in the past did the same but gave up on the drawing and drank it instead much better:eek:)

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Is "duty free" available on the ferry if you are travelling between EU countries or is it just a shop.

Plotter...you are obviously a different kind of "artist", the same kind as me !!!!!!!

We are taking the van abroad this year for the first time, so I am very interested in bulk buying !!!

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
Is "duty free" available on the ferry if you are travelling between EU countries or is it just a shop.

Plotter...you are obviously a different kind of "artist", the same kind as me !!!!!!!

We are taking the van abroad this year for the first time, so I am very interested in bulk buying !!!
honestly if you are taking the van I would not buy in bottles - they weigh far too much . Nice 11L containers fit well in the caravan .

OH and of course if you buy enough there is often a nice wee freebie thrown in as well.

Our good 14% Bordeaux Superior is costing us just over

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
honestly if you are taking the van I would not buy in bottles - they weigh far too much . Nice 11L containers fit well in the caravan .

OH and of course if you buy enough there is often a nice wee freebie thrown in as well.

Our good 14% Bordeaux Superior is costing us just over

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Rioja,as you commented I like a drop and in all the years going to France buy some in bottles the god stuff but the rest often in wine boxes as you can often get the likes of Hardys in boxes at prices well below those here and being square pack easily.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
An alternative if only going on a booze cruise or even on the way back from your hols id to do what I did once.I logged onto Tesco's website for the store in Calais I ordered online told them what day I would be there and approx time and when I got there it was waiting caged up,loaded into boot,paid and gone.Valuable drinking time saved!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've just got back yesterday - and sadly without our usual summer supply of wine! We had clutch and turbo problems with the car - and limped home - finally gave out this morning as OH was driving it to the local Ford dealership - they came out to tow it in!!! Were we lucky, or what? (We also had a tyre blow-out on the van, thank goodness for Tyron bands and a spare wheel for the caravan - minimal damage to van, maximum damage to tyre!!!!)

We just didn't dare fill the car with boxes, cubis, bottles, etc., and then have to unload them onto a towtruck! We brought back only those bottles from a local vineyard that we'd bought on the first day, before the problems arose with the car. Still, I'm just planning the ferry booking for mid-August, so we'll have to restock our 'cellar' then! However, certainly found prices in the local shops better than those in so-called 'Duty Free' - even the perfumes were cheaper in France than on-board.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts