winter caravanning

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Could anyone give me any tips on winter caravanning. Although we have been caravanners for the last 6 years our caravan is usually stored away for the winter by October. Thanks in anticipation.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not done very much of it.. but make sure you have an electric heater with thermostat and leave on a comfortable level all the time even if you go out.

The one I have is very steady and only needs to be on very low to keep a nice heat..

Always have a toasty van then..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony, go for it. The things to think about are when it freezes - need to put a domestic water cylinder jacket around the water barrel. If using a direct hookup then disconnect at night and roll the hose so that all the water is out. The heater in the van will keep you nice and warm. Use hard standing (most sites do insist) as it can get muddy.

Feb 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tony - The word 'Survival' springs to mind. We do as much as we possibly can. Caravan's are generally winterised and usually have sufficient comforts. DO NOT RELY ON ELECTRIC ALONE!!!!! also the words 'POWER CUTS' spring to mind!! Make sure that you use PROPANE GAS and NOT Butane this is absolutely essential, make sure that you have plenty of it and always have full bottles when empty, change immediately. Have plenty of FOOD and WATER and warm clothing. Bring your pump,in at night. These are only just a few of many things to bear in mind. Good luck. Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've just bought our very first van (6yr old) and were determined to use it so have sited it for the winter (brave, I know!). We have already had a few lovely weekends with very many more planned. We do keep the thermostat on low at all times and have bought a hot water cylinder jacket and pipe lagging to cover our water containers/pipes etc as recommended by a friend. I also have a good number of damp collector 'thingy-ma-jigs' that I leave all over the van when not in use, making sure I keep open all locker doors (other than large one as it will warp I believe) and I open all windows in the morning and give quick wipe round to get rid of any condensation that may have collected. I have also been told to move the van every so often to lessen the chance of the wheels cracking. Go for it and enjoy.....we are!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts