Winter covers

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
If this picture shows it should be of a cover that I assume is a winter cover that I should remove when heating water using gas, if on mains the cover can stay on I think.

BP

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
36F20EF2-A55C-4E6F-B496-0B176D77C969_zpsjnmtcblb.jpg

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Almost got there, first I forgot to click insert then when it did I realised the picture is of 2 vents that have covers over them and one with one of them with cover removed, I'm guessing these should come off when using the fridge on gas?

BP

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
261803A6-AFA4-40B1-8958-5DAD4F8A1C48_zpsmdk9qmui.jpg

This is the vent that again has a cover on and this I think has to come off when heating the water on gas and can again stay on if on mains electric.

BP

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Beepee can you clarify if you are on about the water heater or the fridge?

Edit just seen 2nd photo, yes remove the cover for water when on gas, my heater wont actually ignite if the cover is on, not sure on the fridge ones as i dont use them but I would remove them any way as they are winter cover's

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
They are fridge vent covers and should be removed at outdoors temperatures above about 5 degrees Celsius. Below this temp they need to be left on or the fridge won't work properly.

Edit - I am on about the fridge vents, 2 off letterbox size.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok so, first effort at posting pics and bit of a **** up so let me explain, the first picture shows two vents with covers on, as these are on outside where fridge is I assume they are for the fridge when using on gas, the second picture is of a vent with a cover on which lines up with where hot water tank is so I assume is for when heating water on gas, so do I need to take these covers of when using fridge or water heater on gas but leave them on if on mains electric? As clear as mud now lol

BP

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Don't think so, they should only be used when temp gets down to about 5c , and can be used with gas or electric, we caravan all year round, in snow etc, and have never found that I have had to use them, often thought maybe I should.

Ok ready, to be found wrong.
Hutch

Just saw the last photo, thats gas vent always off when on gas. .

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Having just got this caravan the covers are new to me, didn't have them on the Avondale, so the covers can just be left off for water and fridge all the time unless I'm using caravan in winter?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Beehpee said:
Having just got this caravan the covers are new to me, didn't have them on the Avondale, so the covers can just be left off for water and fridge all the time unless I'm using caravan in winter?

Wrong ;)

Fridge - covers OFF above 5 deg when fridge in use on gas. Also leave on during storage to keep flies out.

Water heater - cover OFF ALL the time when in use on gas. As above re flies and insects.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok got that guys thanks for the help, probably will want to clarify one or two other bits while I'm getting used to this caravan but that's me done for today.

BP

May 24, 2014
Visit site
In respect of the other topic "Blowing a Gale", I find that when my winter vent covers are on it reduces the airflow inside the van considerably.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Beehpee said:

Wrong ;)

Fridge - covers OFF above 5 deg when fridge in use on gas. Also leave on during storage to keep flies out.

Water heater - cover OFF ALL the time when in use on gas. As above re flies and insects.

Why only when on gas? Surely the electric element also needs to dissipate the same amount of heat as the gas burner .

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
Why only when on gas? Surely the electric element also needs to dissipate the same amount of heat as the gas burner .

The vent is to put the gas combustion fumes outside the caravan, not to dissipate heat. ;) Therefore not used for electric only.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......I have come to the conclusion that caravan refrigerator cooling vents should actually be thermostatically controlled from fully closed to fully open, depending on what is required for efficient operation.
That would be the case if a caravan was built to an optimum specification.
They are actually built with vents of a size able to cope with the hottest ambient weather temperatures they are likely to meet.
Therefore most of the time in the UK the vents are too big.....they are in fact a cheap compromise by the caravan builder.
This is especially true when towing and running the refrigerator on 12 volts........the air sucked through the vents at speed vastly over cools the workings which actually have to get quite hot to efficiently refrigerate.
I always tow with winter covers fitted for this reason.

I don't believe that caravan manufactures have ever made much of an attempt to seal the air flowing through these refrigerator vents from the inside living space, although the gas burner vent is usually well sealed.
I therefore fit either one or both winter covers in a situation where the wind direction is such that it is creating cold draughts around the refrigerator cabinet.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
chrisbee1 said:

The vent is to put the gas combustion fumes outside the caravan, not to dissipate heat. ;) Therefore not used for electric only.

You will note my reply was in reference to the fridge covers, not the water heater. The fridge has a lower and upper vent to allow the flow of air to take away heat. They are not there to allow gas exhaust fumes to escape although the upper one usually has an exhaust port to one side. Therefore they are necessary when using either gas or electric as a means of powering the fridge. :whistle:

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
chrisbee1 said:
You will note my reply was in reference to the fridge covers, not the water heater.

Your reply was indeterminate and unfortunately I can't read your mind on a forum. ;)

The text highlighted in red was a clue for the more astute amongst forum readers.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Please re-read your reply, as I said, we are NOT mind readers. You made NO reference to the highlighted text and both clauses made reference to gas.

This is my last comment on this thread. :(

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Please re-read your reply, as I said, we are NOT mind readers. You made NO reference to the highlighted text and both clauses made reference to gas.

This is my last comment on this thread. :(

Probably just as well as you don't appear to understand the purpose of the fridge vents, as shown by you comment in post #415209.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hey ho in for penny in for a pound.

We need to be clear which products we are writing about.

The Fridge: has the two horizontal rectangular vents in the side wall mounted above each other.

Most caravan fridges (Three fuel versions) use a clever process called absorption. This uses a heat source to drive a vapour/liquid exchange system. Its great for most UK users as it can be powered by 230V mains, gas or 12V dc, all of which are available at different times for most caravans. It has no mechanical moving parts, so it's generally very quiet, and lighter than equivalent compressor driven fridges, which is great for small spaces like caravans.

All fridges need to get rid of the heat they pull from enclosed space, so they tend to have a radiator coil at the back and this needs free flowing ambient air to take the excess heat away. Its not widely known but most fridges have a minimum temperature for the ambient below which the fridge will loose performance and eventually stop working. absorption fridges are more sensitive to this than compressor driven ones and as caravans are increasingly used all year round or indeed abroad in more severe conditions it can be necessary to limit the free flow of air around the back of the fridge to keep it working. At what temperature the vents need to be restricted will be determined by the fridge manufacture, but as a generalised guide anything below about 5C and the vents may need restricting.

These vents also serve a second purpose. If the fridge is being used on gas, then both the gas burner and the flue exit needs free access to fresh air. Without this, the gas burner may not ignite, go out, or it could start to burn very dirtily (solid yellow 'candle' flame with black tip) Generally there are separate sections in the vent slots or plastic mouldings specifically for gas side of things, and any supplied 'winter' covers will leave these sections open so gas can be used.

Its best to get hold of the instruction book for the model of fridge you have. You could try the manufacturer's website.

Water Heater (TRUMA single vent cover) though similar points may apply to other manufacturers products)

Most of the water heaters fitted since 1995 will be dual fuel devices using 230 Main and LPG gas. As with the fridge above if gas is being used the burner needs access to fresh air. In the case of the Truma it uses a single vent moulding which allows for a 'balanced flue' operation. For the burner to work the solid vent cover must be removed.

However if the Truma is only being used on mains 230V power then there is no need to have the external cover off,and in fact with the cover on it will prevent fresh air circulating through the gas and flue ways and reduce the cooling effect of that air motion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts