WInter in Portugal

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Looking at winter trip in Portugal,with CMC anybody done it ? If so which is the route to go and how long does it take? Any advice welcome.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Looking at winter trip in Portugal,with CMC anybody done it ? If so which is the route to go and how long does it take? Any advice welcome.
I have been to Portugal on a holiday but never took the caravan it be interesting to know , and there bound to be someone who has good luck

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
We go every year to Turiscampo in Lagos.
Brittany ferry to Bilbao (or Santander).
One night in Salamanca ( Camping Regio).
One night at Foz do Arelho (part of Orbitur chain- clean but not special - there are alternatives)
On to Lagos.
It's autoroutes all the way which isn't cheap, but we prefer the easy driving despite toll costs.
It is possible to stay off the autoroutes but the roads are slow with heavy traffic.
If going via autoroutes it's worth registering for a windscreen "blipper" which automatically deducts toll fees from your a/c. This means you can drive right through on the Green lane at toll booths- and at the Spanish/Portuguese border in non covid times - and saves the faffing about with cash or debit cards.

Some Brits come down via Casares from Salamanca. More scenic but slower.

We love Portugal (and the Portuguese). Highly recommended.

If there is anything else I can help with just let me know.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Done it in a motorhome spending Xmas at Albufeira. Calais to Bordeaux (rain all the way), StJean Pied-De port, (heavy snow)Pamplona, Valladolid, E82 to Porto (campsite in cemetery?) .then IC2 to A15 Obidos down A8 Torres Vedras.Then Lisbon IP7 ,heading for Alcacer do Sal. There are several routes from there to Albufeira. We choose scenic routes rather than motorways when ever possible. I would not do the same routes with caravan though in winter as we had very exciting times in the snow. but once nearer the coast it was plain sailing so to speak. Time, our schedule was only to get to the one place we had booked and that was Albufeira. Very rarely do we book sites with a motorhome. I think it took about five days to get there. Keeping with that holiday we came back via Barcelona Spain and Andorra.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We have been in Albufeira in February/March - weather was OK, but not as good as Andalusia. Atlantic winter winds as opposed to Mediterranean I guess). We did like the Portuguese people though and intend to go back and have a look at the more Northern parts in the spring. Bilbao will be our start point in Europe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts