winterhoff tow hitch

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Thy can be tricky at first but once you get the hang of it their easy.After reversing onto your pitch apply the van hand brake and pull slightly forward this takes the pressure of the hitch,then lower the jockey wheel then lift the big blue handle up and when it seems it wont go any more lift and again and you should feel the stabilizer part disengage then pulling the handle to wards you and winding the jockey wheel down it should just lift from the tow ball. Hope this helps.

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
I have experienced difficulties with unhitching the Winterhoff.I understand what is required but mine sometimes gets locked on the tow ball and will not disengage and the only way is as previousley stated you have to pull forward to make it release which is all well and good but is useless if you are trying to level the caravan up using the car.This has happened to me on numerous occasions so if anyone has any answers let us know

PS have had the Winterhoff on 2 vans for last 5 years same problem on both

Jun 15, 2008
Visit site
I have experienced difficulties with unhitching the Winterhoff.I understand what is required but mine sometimes gets locked on the tow ball and will not disengage and the only way is as previousley stated you have to pull forward to make it release which is all well and good but is useless if you are trying to level the caravan up using the car.This has happened to me on numerous occasions so if anyone has any answers let us know

PS have had the Winterhoff on 2 vans for last 5 years same problem on both
I saw a comment somewhere on a forum saying that after towing Winterhoff hitch can be hot and be difficult to unhitch. This person suggested that when arriving at the site disengage the stabiliser by raising the leaver before going in to announce your arrival etc. and by the time you have found your pitch it will have cooled down and become easier to unhitch.

I also have experienced problems as I am brand new to it all. It took me a while to realise that for the open position the handle needs to be pulled back and up.

Jun 15, 2008
Visit site
I saw a comment somewhere on a forum saying that after towing Winterhoff hitch can be hot and be difficult to unhitch. This person suggested that when arriving at the site disengage the stabiliser by raising the leaver before going in to announce your arrival etc. and by the time you have found your pitch it will have cooled down and become easier to unhitch.

I also have experienced problems as I am brand new to it all. It took me a while to realise that for the open position the handle needs to be pulled back and up.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Ive had the problem getting the caravan of the hitch.I found the problem to be applying the caravan handbrake before unhitching.

I now chock the caravan wheels then just when the caravan releases from the tow hitch apply the handbrake,never had a problem since worth a try?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At least I'm not the only one then!

This is my fifth season and I've only had problems during the last couple of seasons. My solution is usually to level up (Horizontally), then lower jockey wheel, apply handbrake and pull forward slightly before disconnecting. I won't feel quite so embarrassed now when I'm tugging and cursing the thing!

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Goodness I thought it was just me. I have always had the alko hitch, then switched to Winterhof this year, what a carry on. I put the van on the drive, unhitch and there am I trying to close the handle from the up position to the down, am just about to burst into tears of frustration (65 year old male)when I stick the little plastic ball that comes with the Robstop hitchlock up the orifice and it works. I had the the dealers technicions visit my home for another matter. I am in Teignmouth and the dealer DISCOVER is in Weston S Mare,great service. When they had finished the job they came to do, I asked then about the hitch and explained the difficulty I was having. He then put his finger inside the reception part of the hitch that takes the towball and said press this little catch and it will close. Problem solved. Hope this helps.

Regards

Bill

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Goodness I thought it was just me. I have always had the alko hitch, then switched to Winterhof this year, what a carry on. I put the van on the drive, unhitch and there am I trying to close the handle from the up position to the down, am just about to burst into tears of frustration (65 year old male)when I stick the little plastic ball that comes with the Robstop hitchlock up the orifice and it works. I had the the dealers technicions visit my home for another matter. I am in Teignmouth and the dealer DISCOVER is in Weston S Mare,great service. When they had finished the job they came to do, I asked then about the hitch and explained the difficulty I was having. He then put his finger inside the reception part of the hitch that takes the towball and said press this little catch and it will close. Problem solved. Hope this helps.

Regards

Bill
PS I have had the same problem unhitching when I get to journeys end. Now I lift the handle and stand on the towball hitch assembly.

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts