Wintering In Spain

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
When my and I wintered in Spain on our boat getting a berth was an issue which meant you had to sort something out towards the end of the summer to be sure of having somewhere to stay.

Is it the same with wintering in a caravan? In an ideal world we would like to get down there some time towards the end of October this year with a view to staying till April.Will all the good sites/pitches be full up by then?

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
My wife and I have wintered in Spain for fifteen or so years. We usually go in mid-November and return in mid-March. We have never booked. There are hundreds of sites which are open all the year along the Spanish costas from Valencia all the way round to the border with Portugal. Short term site fees don't vary much throughout the year, however if you bookin for 30 days, the fees are reduced to 50 to 65%.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We too have been to Spain for a number of years, but not until immediately after Christmas. Some years ago sites could be quite full at that time but more recently this has not been the case. Recommend the CC Europe 1 guidebook which shows open all year sites.

You may find some pitches are reserved but this is usually because most sites have "regulars" who like to be on the same pitch each year and reserve them for the next year on leaving around Easter.

You will probably find that there are significant discounts for long stays with several discount bands typically after 3 10 30 60 and 90 days (with all days at the lowest price). The high charge for the first one to three days is said to discourage overnighting by "wild campers" who come just to use facilities, laundries etc. but unfortunately it also applies to thoses who are in transit and only need to stay one night. Earlier this year, the higest price i paid for one night was 26 euros whereas my over 60 nights long stay was 12.5 euros/night.

As John has said there are plenty of sites along the coasts, but not so many inland open in winter. The same is true in France if you are taking a short or medium distance ferry , not going UK to Spain directly. Living in Somerset, i use the western crossing and then down the Atlantic coast of France to Irun, then across to Valencia. Popular OAY sites in France include "Futuriste" near Poitiers, then La Rouletta at St jean de Luz - virtually on the border. From there it depends on your intended destination and how long a drive you feel comfortable with, but one or two more stops should get you most places in Spain.

if you look at some of the earlier postings on this topic you wil find lots of information and suggestions about routes and stops.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts