Witter or Westfalia towbar

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Time to select a new tow bar, use 13 pin latest wiring kit and convert the caravans 12N &12S to 13.
Any preferences between the above two manufacturers?
Is a detachable as safe as my fully fixed previous?

Any thoughts?

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Time to select a new tow bar, use 13 pin latest wiring kit and convert the caravans 12N &12S to 13.
Any preferences between the above two manufacturers?
Is a detachable as safe as my fully fixed previous?

Any thoughts?

p
Dusty,
I'm in the same position I've priced my tow bar for my Kuga all the prices are more or less the same but I will be going to a company in Leicester 'Bemick' to have a fixed swan neck with dedicated 13 pin electrics fitted hopefully on the 6th of Jan my mate had one fitted to his brand new Kia after being sent there by the dealer, once my tow bar is fitted Ucan see my caravan hoiday season starting early,

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
p
Dusty,
I'm in the same position I've priced my tow bar for my Kuga all the prices are more or less the same but I will be going to a company in Leicester 'Bemick' to have a fixed swan neck with dedicated 13 pin electrics fitted hopefully on the 6th of Jan my mate had one fitted to his brand new Kia after being sent there by the dealer, once my tow bar is fitted Ucan see my caravan hoiday season starting early,

Witter for me

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had a Trust towbar fitted with detachable tow ball and it looks just like the Witter except about £100 cheaper

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We had a Trust towbar fitted with detachable tow ball and it looks just like the Witter except about £100 cheaper

I’ve always had Witter but this time it will be Westfalia because Witter did not have the vehicle specific harness and seemed to have some concerns about vehicle software update required prior to fitting and recoding.

Yes a detachable is a safe fitting. All mine have had interlocks that tell you if it’s locked on properly. Followed by a good tug and shake from moi. If your car requires its rear cross member to be removed fir the towbar to fit then ask if the towbar has a hole for the rear towing eye. If not you will need to carry the towball with you.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My main concern is not to mess up the cars reversing radar system. Hopefully the chap I will use, used him before , will know all about remapping codes etc. Not quite sure what you mean about the tow ball. Isn’t is an integral part of the removable fixing?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve never had a fixed or detachable one interfere with the reversing sensors.

In my Subaru and previous Skoda the rear cross member was removed and the towbar cross member replaced it. The cars own cross member had the threaded hole that the recovery “ eye bolt” screws into. But the towbars did not have such a threaded hole. So I had to carry the detachable towball just in case I ever required a rear tow to be attached.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Witter detachable on mine, with dedicated wiring kit. As above, tow bar replace car cross member, stow tow ball in spare wheel bay, just. My motor did not need remapping, with wire kit, get a warning that reversing censors are disabled.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Witter and Westfalia are now both owned by the same (American?) company. Witter are made in Romania, Westfalia in Germany.
From choice I would go for Westfalia every time.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whats the benefit of Westfalia compared to Witter? Many mainstream auto parts and Airbus components are made in Romania. The Royal Netherlands Navy had one of their assault ships constructed in Romania. Are you implying that German is always best?

Reactions: DaveA1 and Dustydog
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
My fitter stopped fitting Westfalia and Witter, because their build quality and reliability had dropped. His company now use TowTrust...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I’ve just looked at Towtrust detachable for my previous car (Skoda) as they don’t do Subaru. The Towtrust website shows £393 ex vat whereas Witter or Westfalia are coming in at £215-237 inc vat From PF Jones. My complete installation for the Forester is £600 with vehicle specific wiring, fitted and coded.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Detachable seems to cost about £120 extra - and a couple of my friends leave it attached anyway... I need a bar fitted to my replacement car and will expect to have a permanent fitted- flange type as on many previous cars over the years - for one thing the wiring socket is then alongside the ball and easily accessible. (On previous cars the towbar has replaced the main steel crossbar behind the plastic bumper so the advice about carrying the detachable with you is wise as the supplied rear towing eye can no longer be screwed into place if a rear tow-point was needed.) Always go for the dedicated kit for the wiring and ensure that you stipulate full wiring to include charging and the fridge - you will not regret the ease and security of the jaeger 13 pin type. See if they'll throw in the green alignment tool that you can use on the plug while in storage and to prevent the unwanted movement of the collar (misalignment). Look forward to hearing your report and experience as I have always used a mobile fitter who has already given me a quote!

Reactions: DaveA1
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If the towing eye is removed never ever use the tow ball as a substitute. The towball is designed for "fixed" forces and not for having a tow rope connected to it and then being subjected to "snapping while towing another vehicle. The towball could snap off and become a lethal missile. Perhaps the eminent Prof John can explain better than a mere mortal like me. The link may give you an idea of what could happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFD4Fd03bq8

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Witter and Westfalia are part of the same group and should be equal in quality. In many cases I suspect there is no difference.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That was on off roader trying a dynamic recovery. It doesn’t even look as if he had the correct tow strop either. When I did a course at White Cliffs off road school it was much more carefully controlled. But in a few years of off roading I never had to use such a technique to free anyone. Nor would I have allowed anyone to use a dynamic recovery on me either. My SWB Pajero had a fixed towball and that was my rear recovery point as it was neigh impossible to fit two shackle points without major structural work.

I don’t see anything wrong in using the towball if it’s all you are left with after having a towbar fittted. My previous Witter handbook even reminded me to carry the towball in order to expedite rear recovery. But realistically it’s only suitable to slowly pull a car rear wards until you can get it onto a point where it can either be driven or recovered. You certainly are not going to tow a car rearwards any distance with either a strop or bar are you? The towing vehicle couldn’t control it.
Have you seen the strength of the makers towing eye points? They can only be used with care otherwise you risk structural damage.

54420815-C1F8-4179-AFF4-930C1C3BBD98.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On my Santa Fe, I removed the Witter fixed towbar unit, fitted from new at hyundai, as it was too far back from the axle. "Approved Hyundai part number as well.
Fitted a TowTrust one.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Had both Witter and Westfalia-Westfalia in our Duster last; both rusted like heck so was regularly spraying with black smoothrite to keep them looking decent; wasn't very impressed with the quality of either but both lasted ok in terms of towing!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Had both Witter and Westfalia-Westfalia in our Duster last; both rusted like heck so was regularly spraying with black smoothrite to keep them looking decent; wasn't very impressed with the quality of either but both lasted ok in terms of towing!

I used to spray periodically with Waxoyl but now tend to use ACF 50 or Corrosion Block. The former being okay too with electrics so battery terminal gets a spray too.

Reactions: camel and JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts