Witter or Westfalia towbar

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Witter and Westfalia are part of the same group and should be equal in quality. In many cases I suspect there is no difference.
Just because both brands are owned by the same company does not always mean products from each brand are exactly the same. There have been plenty of examples where one company has taken over a competitor, yet the new owners continue to run the brands independently.

What I am sure about regarding tow bars, is that which ever brand you go for providing its an approved design for the tow vehicle, and it should work equally well .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I have mentioned before, I replaced my Originally fitted Towbar, on my Santa Fe to a Towtrust as the original made by Witter was too far behind the rear axle.
I'm not sure when the regulations became law, but presently the car manufacturer sets the specifications for the design of the tow bar. This will stipulate the size and position of the fixings, the required strength of the members, and the maximum permitted loads and it should also define the position of the rear bar (to which the tow ball or coupling is attached).

Perhaps:
Your witter was pre-current regulations,
Or you did not have the correct witter towbar fitted for your model?
Or perhaps the towbar was a for a commercial coupling (which may not be subject to the same regulations).

I stand by my previous statements.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As I have mentioned before, I replaced my Originally fitted Towbar, on my Santa Fe to a Towtrust as the original made by Witter was too far behind the rear axle.

Hutch
“Too far behind the rear axle”. Did it protrude too far behind the car then such that it’s overhang was unacceptable? I’ve seen different tow bars fitted to car models ie Skoda Superb such that the clearance between ball and bumper varied quite noticeabley. But presumably all had achieved type approval. My last one was Witter and it’s bottom edge of the detachable section was low to the ground such that when hitched and loaded it gently scraped the drive as I drive off with the van. But another Superb in the area had a fixed Swan neck and the base was a bit higher off of the road. And to pre empt comments re suspension sag mine was checked out and was within spec. So I fitted MAD springs. Problem solved.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
With the Witter, factory fitted fixed towbar, with both a Witter and Hyundai, part Numbers, correct for the model, and year , 2014. The distance from the centre of the rear axle to the centre of the tow ball was exceeded by , about 3 cms. From the max distance stated in the Cars hand handbook. Witter and Hyundai, didnt want to know.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the Witter, factory fitted fixed towbar, with both a Witter and Hyundai, part Numbers, correct for the model, and year , 2014. The distance from the centre of the rear axle to the centre of the tow ball was exceeded by , about 3 cms. From the max distance stated in the Cars hand handbook. Witter and Hyundai, didnt want to know.
I'm sure with your engineering experience you are reporting the facts accurately, and it would appear there is a discrepancy with the original towbar. I cannot possibly explain it, as I have not seen the parts no been party to any of the discussions you may have had.

Hyundai may have supplied the wrong dimensional data to Witter
Witter may have interpreted the information incorrectly
It may have been manufactured incorrectly
or the parts may have been incorrectly marked, but by coincidence still enabled the tow bar to be installed.

I still stand by my previous statements on the subject, but obviously there is some possibility of the system failing. after all Humans are involved.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Camel, what part of the uk are you located, was the price with twin/single or 13pin electrics and detachable or fixed, I’m asking because I’ve recently purchased a Kuga, I have only had a quote from Towtrust for detachable with 13pin and price was around 650, any info your happy to share would be appreciated.

thanks

BP

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi Camel, what part of the uk are you located, was the price with twin/single or 13pin electrics and detachable or fixed, I’m asking because I’ve recently purchased a Kuga, I have only had a quote from Towtrust for detachable with 13pin and price was around 650, any info your happy to share would be appreciated.

thanks

BP
I'm in the East Mids and the company is in Loughborough , I had a Brink towbar fitted ,dedicated electrics and coded for £495.00 , I'm afraid I can't name the company on this site because it is free advertising but the tow bar firm is on Prince William road in Loughborough near B&Q,

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the East Mids and the company is in Loughborough , I had a Brink towbar fitted ,dedicated electrics and coded for £495.00 , I'm afraid I can't name the company on this site because it is free advertising but the tow bar firm is on Prince William road in Loughborough near B&Q,
I thought we could name a company, if you had good service, but not if you wanted to slag them off. Best I reread the forum rules

• Haha
Reactions: Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I don’t think there is any objection to mentioning a company name. The problem comes if you are in dispute and are complaining about something. After all you have posted the name of the towbar manufacturer :)

Reactions: Parksy and Hutch
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I don’t think there is any objection to mentioning a company name. The problem comes if you are in dispute and are complaining about something. After all you have posted the name of the towbar manufacturer :)

Well if thats the case they are Motor fit tow bars and Auto Electrical, and do tow bar fitting for Most of the main dealers in Loughborough including Merc and VW,

Reactions: Parksy and Hutch

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
That's correct.
We can't name companies involved in disputes because we don't have their side of the story.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Camel, thanks for the details, I might find it worth the drive as it’s less than an hours drive, I’ll have a phone round in a couple of weeks and then decide, thanks again.

BP

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A Westfalia fully fitted with detachable swan neck . The entire rear chassis girder was unbolted and removed permanently. The tow bar replaces it using all the original mountings.
The remapping of the car software took as long as physically fitting the tow bar. Now if a bulb fails on the caravan a warning appears on the dash board. No audible noise whilst flashing. How technology has changed!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A Westfalia fully fitted with detachable swan neck . The entire rear chassis girder was unbolted and removed permanently. The tow bar replaces it using all the original mountings.
The remapping of the car software took as long as physically fitting the tow bar. Now if a bulb fails on the caravan a warning appears on the dash board. No audible noise whilst flashing. How technology has changed!
I had my towbar fitted yesterday. It was Witter as Westfalia had no stock with no delivery forecast either. I’ve had mainly Witter before so no complaints as they have always been okay. Yet another car cross member to stow in the loft.

Reactions: JezzerB
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Well I had a Brink tow bar fitted last monday Brink are a Dutch company and are the Witter of the Netherlands and sell right across Europe in my case I left the car at 1000 and they completed the job by 1430, just glad this company are also auto-electrictions the coding seems a little bit involved,

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Well I had a Brink tow bar fitted last monday Brink are a Dutch company and are the Witter of the Netherlands and sell right across Europe in my case I left the car at 1000 and they completed the job by 1430, just glad this company are also auto-electrictions the coding seems a little bit involved,
Hate to say it but Brink are also part of the same conglomerate as Witter and Westfalia. In practice there is little or no competition for your business despite the different names.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hate to say it but Brink are also part of the same conglomerate as Witter and Westfalia. In practice there is little or no competition for your business despite the different names.
I think the EU competition commission put a stop to that aspect of the merger.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Hate to say it but Brink are also part of the same conglomerate as Witter and Westfalia. In practice there is little or no competition for your business despite the different name
I'm happy with it be it witter or whatever,
Brink were purchased by Thule back in 2006. As far as I can see they are nothing to do with Witter/ all the EU tow bar manufacturers must come up to EU standard
Does it really matter what tow bar you have fittef?, my answer comes from the back pocket, I'm happy with my price for fitting and the enginerring of the tow bar,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
More than likely all these tow bars come out the same foundry in China, am I worried NO,
Actually Witter are manufactured in Romania. A country that makes Dacia, parts for Airbus and numerous car makers, and an amphibious ship for the Royal Netherlands Navy. So I’m quite relaxed about their technical constructional skills.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Actually Witter are manufactured in Romania. A country that makes Dacia, parts for Airbus and numerous car makers, and an amphibious ship for the Royal Netherlands Navy. So I’m quite relaxed about their technical constructional skills.
Well done to Romania producing goods and materials on cheap day go labour , hopefully when we get out of that EU we will get all the brit work back here,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts