Wondering where to Wander!!!!

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
We are off to the Tunnel in a couple of weeks to travel through France to Alicante. For a week we will be staying at Liguiel at Camping de la Touche and then on to Spain with a couple of night stops on the way.We have looked at Via Michelin and what we need to know is how to make sure himself puts the right info in the SAT NAV so that Navi Kate doesnt take us up any mountain passes.What is the best route through the mountains at this time of year?It all seemed so easy when it was a "next year " trip but now we have overloaded ourselves with stats, so some personal advice is needed from all you Marco Polo"s out there.The reason for using the tunnel is the dogs.OH YESSSS!!! We have had good advice here before so many thanks to all.

Sandra (Thursdays Child)

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hiya Sandra

Just read that you will be taking your dogs with you, Well my partner and I will be going through europe for a year and we are taking my best mate with me (Molly). Can you give us any advice on taking the dogs with us

Cheers

JohnT

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Can't help with the SatNAV as we always use paper maps, but maybe the following site will help you find open campsites en-route http://users.pandora.be/leo.huybrechts/camp1.htm. You can also use 'viamichelin' or mappy.com to calculate routes, and you can select an option 'without maintain passes' - then you can make sure you're keeping on roads which are going to be open.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Hiya Sandra

Just read that you will be taking your dogs with you, Well my partner and I will be going through europe for a year and we are taking my best mate with me (Molly). Can you give us any advice on taking the dogs with us

Cheers

JohnT
Hi John,this is our first time with the dogs abroad.We had their rabies blood tests and jabs last year as you cant bring them back into UK until 6months after the rabies results.You can take them out without the passport but cant bring them back in.Maddie and Ruby are only tiny (Poms) and they are used to travelling long distances in their securely strapped cages on the back seat of the car.They sleep most of the time and we stop regularly for them AND US!!!We booked the tunnel and it cost an extra 60pounds for them. If you go by sea they have to stay below decks for the journey.On the way back we will stop near Calais to get the tick and worm treatment done about 36hours before taking the train back.

Wish I could give some advice based on experience.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!!!

Sandra

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Val, thanks for your advice.I have checked out the sites you suggested.We are going to put in LORRY ROUTE for "NAVI KATE" so that should help too.We went to France for first time last year and found the sat nav invaluable when roads were closed and had to detour in middle of night on outskirts of Paris.My husband,Robert,is a retired HGV driver and he still ends up going

LONG DISTANCE if he uses maps.However he still argues with "KATE"

sometimes but like all us women she usually knows best.

REGARDS

SANDRA

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Val, thanks for your advice.I have checked out the sites you suggested.We are going to put in LORRY ROUTE for "NAVI KATE" so that should help too.We went to France for first time last year and found the sat nav invaluable when roads were closed and had to detour in middle of night on outskirts of Paris.My husband,Robert,is a retired HGV driver and he still ends up going

LONG DISTANCE if he uses maps.However he still argues with "KATE"

sometimes but like all us women she usually knows best.

REGARDS

SANDRA
Sandra lorry / truck option on sat nav will not give you a route suitable for large vehicles It only adjusts the estimated journey times, which is why so many trucks end up in narrow country lanes. The best option is to set fastest route as this tends to keep to motorways & A type roads, but you still have to be carefull(bitter experience)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts