Woolworths

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Love 'em or hate 'em. I do like Woolworths shops. However, I'd heard that all stock was being reduced to 50% today.

So off I sped in my trusty car at 11am this morning. Rushed to my nearest Woolworths only to find that the majority of stock was reduced by 10%, then some at 20%, and a few at 30%, and only minging rubbish to 50%.

What a disappointment. I have to say, it's probably the first time I've ever been to a sale and bought NOTHING.

I'm off to take some photos of the moon now, to de-stress (new camera and lenses (NOT from Woolworths though). LOL!!

Lisa

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
If you look very carefully at the 50% off signs in the top right hand corner in small print it says 'up to'. I went to have a look but they wouldn't let me without a track suit and a half hundred weight of Argos bling

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
'a track suit and a half hundred weight of Argos bling'

-------------------

Really, I'm surprised a man of your calibre frequents shops such as Woolworths.

---------------

Oh god, don't even go there, the chavs were out in full force, init. Do they ever take their baseball caps off? It's amazing how many pushchairs, pushed by gum chewing pregnant 'young ladies' you can get in these shops.

Lisa

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Obviously none of you have family or friends work in Woollies?

Please let us know when they have job cuts so we can also have a laugh at your families expense!

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Vultures springs to mind!!!

Please think about the staff/workers at woolworths who will be looking for none existant jobs in the new year,how would you feel?

Maybe you should not have a moan,just a thought.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
I agree Andrew

If the moderators have hearts they will delete this post immediately!

I have a sister, niece and a daughter working in 2 Woolworth local stores, if these stores go there will be nothing left in the towns.

They have taken the pits and now they want to take Woolworth. nothing more left for them to take!

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
I don't know anybody that works at woolies but we are all affected by the current climate,my overtime has been stopped for the next 12mths and our holiday to France with the van put on hold to see how it goes, wouldn't like members of the forum mocking me and i sure in hindsite neither would they,

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
That a shame you are unable to go to France.

Sophie my daughter her works in Woolies just passed her test last Thursday and pass plus on Sunday saving her 30% on her inurance NFU, that will help a little if she loses her job.

She's coming with us again next year back to the Vendee, then she off to Uni.

She was working part time in our local caravan shop, but they laid staff off in September, cannot believe she's may have to look again so soon!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't believe I have been disrespectful to staff, please highlight my comments to that effect.

I stated I love Woolworths thank you very much. Woolworths has been going for years and years and has stocked a great variety of goods at competitive prices.

I think you may find that there are thousands of people out there who have suffered from job cuts/redundancies etc, got me twice.

I don't think this thread should be deleted but we'll see what the mods think.

Lisa

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Of course it's not the fault of the loyal staff at Woolworth that they are in this terrible position.

I have to say however that I had a look round our local Woolies when the 50% sale was first announced last week. This was partly for sentimental reasons and partly to try and support Woolworths in a small way in the vain hope that a British icon could be saved if enough of us did the same. I'm not a vulture.

I'd say that the owners of Woolworths have tried to con the shoppers by using the large 50% off signs to lure shoppers in to a non existent sale with negligible discounts.

Not a great way for the owners to cultivate customer goodwill when shoppers are very bargain hungry and are very willing to shop around.

An example : A tin of Quality Street

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Of course I was disappointed there wasn't 50% off.

-----------

Well said Parksy. In fact, my mother told me when I saw her last night, that all day people had been phoning in to the local radio station to complain that they too were under the impression massive bargains were to be had (50% off), only to find when they went into the store that most of the reductions were 10%-30% off.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My daughter has just received redundancy notice from a large plant hire firm. I don't hear the country crying about it though. Alyson, sadly redundancy is a fact of life nowadays, and no-one was poking fun at your daughter. LMH and others simply stated facts. Its a rotten thing to lose your job at any time, but two weeks before Christmas is hitting below the belt.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Some idiot from a private job agency suggested all the redundant Woolworth Employees in Wiltshire should look to Manchester for a job. Even if it means moving house!! What a to$$er!!

So who was the Civil Servant who this week came up with the idea that people on income support etc should actively go looking for a job? What impeccable timing!!

Cheers

Alan

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I have mixed thoughts about Woolies really. I remember going in there as a little girl in the 60s and my oustanding memories are the shiny light wooden floor because my shoes clip clopped on it, the monkeys with dungarees that had hands moulded to allow them to hang them from bars over the counter (I never did get one because my Mum said they gave her the willies) and a little bright red dressing gown that had buttons shaped and designed like ladybirds - I adored it.

I went to our local one last week to get some pick & mix for Christmas - it was nothing like the pick and mix counter that I remember with fruitellas, peanut brittle, raspberry coconut sweets, quality streets etc. In fact there was no counter. Just plastic boxes with scoops and huge jelly snakes, oversized smarties and other hideous objects. I was mortified, shows I hadn't been in there for a long time. BTW there was a write up in The Mail about the situation with the "Sale" so a lot of people must have been miffed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts