Woosie Club

Page 340 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think Mid country would probably be best as more central for everyone or maybe Welsh Wales, I don't think we have been there, Dusty when does your Scottish tour start. ?
Hopefully 9/10 May.
Bill, if you need a chauffeur from Wantage to hospital always happy to help, DD.

Reactions: Gafferbill
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sir Ducktail,
I have been looking at Kettleby lakes, site, I remember you saying your within a Melton Mowbury pie throw from there. Is there a dog friendly club house or Pub nearby ???

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
There's a pub in Dalby then the cherry tree at the end of our street . But there not that close. used to be a pleasant foot path to Cherry Tree but thats been moved to the perimeter of a building site doubled its length. will check the pub in Great Dalby. but still a good walk away.. No not near by you would have to drive.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There's a pub in Dalby then the cherry tree at the end of our street . But there not that close. used to be a pleasant foot path to Cherry Tree but thats been moved to the perimeter of a building site doubled its length. will check the pub in Great Dalby. but still a good walk away.. No not near by you would have to drive.
Could always take a bottle and walk over to see the blast walls of the old Thor missile base that’s nearby 😱Good windbreaks.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DaveA1

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hutch there is a bar and eatery actually on the Eye Kettleby site. They often have entertainment as well. Been many years since e stayed there so can’t comment on quality and price of booze and food.
Mel

Reactions: Hutch
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Could always take a bottle and walk over to see the blast walls of the old Thor missile base that’s nearby 😱Good windbreaks.
Could see them missiles from my bedroom window during the Cuban crises, They sat ready to launch for days.. I was 19 didn't think I would see 20.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Could see them missiles from my bedroom window during the Cuban crises, They sat ready to launch for days.. I was 19 didn't think I would see 20.
I cycled over from Leicester to see them, also cycled to the airbases at Cottesmore and Bruntingthorpe as I loved seeing the aircraft movements. and also for airshows. I would have been 15 when the Cuban crisis arose; dad was busy seeing how quickly he could remove doors to make a shelter. I'd have found it difficult to get home in 4 minutes though.!!!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Is this for a May meet? Hope some of you can make it. Melton Mowbray is a nice town as is Oakham ( and it has a Lands End clothing factory shop!)
Mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hutch and I have been chewing over the next Woosiefest. A lot has been going on with health issues with a number of us.
Who could make this September ? Or April next year? We have Woosies from Devon to Scotland so need to consider a location that is reasonably achievable for them .
Two things seem to be essential
WiFi
FSP.
Ingleton was a good location. I am sure there are other similar sites if we put our research heads together.

Any ideas Guys?? We still have to crown a new Queen / King.

Everyone who posts on here is also very welcome to join us at the legendary Woosiefest.
Happy Touring DD👍👍

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I would love to see September happen (Don't the months and the years go by much too quickly).

Wifi ---- No problem if it doesn't, most areas have phone signal so I can tether from that, if no phone signal then I can live without it.

FSP ---- No Problem, (I do appreciate that it matters for others).

Pub\Restaurant ---- The wonderful company that we will be in will ensure that we always find one or more to have our get-together(s) in.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I may have resently had a woosie moment or even moments.

Last trip to Norfolk. so made my lists packed everything away (had a bit of trouble getting my nose weight) running a bit later than I wanted. Off I go in a bit of a rush.
Bombing along towards Oakham when I suddenly thought "canallocks" I haven't put the van steps in, still not to worry I'll manage somehow. Then "were's my phone" last I remember was putting it on the top of my motor.

So I performed a perfect U turn , at a cross roads and headed back to Melton then I thought "I wonder", bought the outfit to a suddering holt and looked on the top of the car, there it was just where I'd put it ------------Few.

Being as I was faceing in the right direction I went back home to pick the steps up, + the dogs dish + the dogs water+ a few other things that I'd lined up for me to load into the van.

Must remember not to rush a few minuits late are not going to make any differance at all.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've had a woosie moment this afternoon.
We went to the caravan storage to sort out the interior loose objects in the caravan and to tow it to our drive for cleaning etc tomorrow before our fortnight's holiday in St Ives on Saturday.
It was the first tow with the Sorento that I bought last December.
I fitted the leisure battery and the caravan came out of the barn using the motor mover, so far, so good.
I hitched up, and tried to connect the 12n lead to the car to test the lights, indicators etc before we set off for home,
The caravan plug just wouldn't go in.
The car socket is difficult to see, being lower on this Sorento than on my old one, and the sprung cover is quite strong, so I ended up kneeling down to have a good look.
Doh!
The car socket is 13 pin, unlike the 12n socket on my old Sorento, but it didn't occur to me to check before I left our house.
A frantic phone around after I discovered that our local Towsure has closed down, then a rush hour drive to Black Country Caravans a few miles away to buy an adapter and the caravan is now safely on the drive at home, and my wallet is 26.99 lighter.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I've had a woosie moment this afternoon.
We went to the caravan storage to sort out the interior loose objects in the caravan and to tow it to our drive for cleaning etc tomorrow before our fortnight's holiday in St Ives on Saturday.
It was the first tow with the Sorento that I bought last December.
I fitted the leisure battery and the caravan came out of the barn using the motor mover, so far, so good.
I hitched up, and tried to connect the 12n lead to the car to test the lights, indicators etc before we set off for home,
The caravan plug just wouldn't go in.
The car socket is difficult to see, being lower on this Sorento than on my old one, and the sprung cover is quite strong, so I ended up kneeling down to have a good look.
Doh!
The car socket is 13 pin, unlike the 12n socket on my old Sorento, but it didn't occur to me to check before I left our house.
A frantic phone around after I discovered that our local Towsure has closed down, then a rush hour drive to Black Country Caravans a few miles away to buy an adapter and the caravan is now safely on the drive at home, and my wallet is 26.99 lighter.
Dont forget the cost of fuel you used as well Parksy :LOL:

PS. Enjoy your two weeks away, I know where you're going, lovely site and you'll be looking out to sea from your pitch. ;)

Reactions: Parksy
Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
My 1st ever caravanning Woosie moment occurred about 40 years ago. I had a petrol station & had very few holidays but we had a caravan. A 1980 Abbey Durham. My only day off each week was a Wednesday so I decided to drive over to Sandhead near Stranaer with the van & get it pitched up ready for our forthcoming week away. I was towing with a diesel Sierra & it was slow going, hence why I thought it was a good idea to get the van on site then it would be a speedier run over on Saturday morning.
All went well, pitched up, awning up, water containers filled, Porta Porta ready for action! So we set off from Durham early Saturday knowing we were ready to rock when we got there. We get to somewhere around Hexham on the A69 when my wife asked if I had the caravan key, I didn’t so pulled over to do some brain racking, to no avail. This was in the days before mobile phones so I had to find a phone box & phoned my Dad, who was looking after the garage, & asked him if the key was hanging up behind the door, which of course, it wasn’t.
No option but to turn round & head back home. On the way I remembered where the key was, (there was only one) it would be in the pocket of the joggers I’d had on on Wednesday, which were in the laundry basket! Durrr, where else? Got home, checked pockets, no key. Then I had a thought, those joggers were notorious for things falling out of the pockets while I was sitting down. Loose change, keys etc.
There was the key all the time, well hidden down the side of the car seat.
We got to the site about 3 hours after we would’ve done if we’d just set off on Saturday!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts