Work and caravanning

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Today have been told I can't take holidays in October.Add this to the list of "forbidden" times and we get....

February

March

August

September

October

Xmas

New year

Bank holidays

Any other time some one else is away.

So heres the dilemma, do I

(1)sell the van

(2)Go sick a lot

(3)Have holidays close to work

(4)Tell them were to poke their job

You answers please as Im struggling to come to a decision.

Brian

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Get another job Brian, this is 2006 us workers have rights. There must be some other suitable employement you could consider.

Lisa x

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
I have to ask....where do you work???

I need to know so that I never work there myself :)

They need to have some series reasons why you cant take time off when you like.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nicci, I'm one of those people everyone on the Forum loves to hate.....A car salesman !!!!got to be there when it might be busy, 11 hour days , no lunch, work every Saturday and alternate Sundays. And you all wonder why we act the way we do.

Brian (still smiling) (",)

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Nicci, I'm one of those people everyone on the Forum loves to hate.....A car salesman !!!!got to be there when it might be busy, 11 hour days , no lunch, work every Saturday and alternate Sundays. And you all wonder why we act the way we do.

Brian (still smiling) (",)
You need to get yourself a new job :)

I work in a county court and that is madness everyday, but I always get me lunch *L*

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Brian

Been there and got the t-shirt.

Yes I used to have a boss like that did not like me to have holidays.

I used to give him a lot of notes that I was going on holiday and they say it was ok but when it came to the week before I went a way they have me in the office to see if I cud work and I would all ways say you pay for my holiday and ret a car for the wife so she and the kids can still go. It all ways work I got to go a way.

I got sick off it and I started to look for new job.

But before I get one I started to get back pain.

When I look back now Brian I was not help my self. I work my self in to the ground for them and they did not care one bit.

Mark

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
My choice would be

(1) go sick a lot (providing you get paid). Keep your eye open for the reaction of your bosses and if things get a bit dicey from taking too many sickies pass go and collect one more sick period then go to

(4)Tell them to stick their job where the sun don't shine.

If both of the above fail consult The Oracle.

Good luck in whatever you do Brian :O)

May 12, 2006
Visit site
It sounds about normal for the type of work you do.So the only option open to you is change your Job, but don't forget if you start to pull the sick line you won't get another job.

Frank & Val

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian - My Father in Law was Dealer Principal at Premier Motors (Ford) on the IoW. He made sure his guys got regular weekends off and his highest producer was the guy that worked the least hours. But the hours he did work were those that had the highest viewer/customer numbers.

Sadly if you are in retail the facts are that people shop when they are not working.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Brian tell them to stick the job and get a job on the railways driving trains, i work a 4 day 35 hour week which gives me friday saturday sunday monday tuesday off every 3 weeks so i can use the van and in between i get a wednesday and thursday off for a bit of midweek caravanning. on top of this i have 4 weeks annual leave plus 8 floating days that i can have off whenever i like. driving trains and caravans go hand in hand, its great. soundsto me like your company havent heard of human rights or unions.

G

Icemaker,

Which rail Company do you work for? My son works as a driver with Firstgroup and he has nothing like the shift pattern you are describing. In fact he has worked for the railways since the days it was British Rail and has always had to take holidays on a rota, which meant that every 3rd year he missed the school holidays. Yes, he does have days off, but these can be cancelled at the last minute if someone else calls in sick. His wife also ironically works for the railways and in the last 3 years they have only managed to get 1 week where they were both allowed off at the same time.

If your Company has vacancies then let me know. I have heard there is a vacancy on the Kyle line and it is a 4 hour day, but the last driver transferred because the boredom was driving?? (nice pun eh!) him insane.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Sorry about the delay Scotch lad ive not looked at the forum much today as ive been having a debatewith someone on railchat.co.uk.

I work for northern rail in manchester, we have a 4 day 35 hour week and a basic wage of 31 k, i'm on rest days today (wednesday) and tommorow then in on saturday monday tuesday wednesday and thursday then i am off friday through to wednesday. this same rest day patern is repeated every three weeks and we can not be forced to work although we can offer if we so wish.

I used to work for first group myself when they had our franchise and to be honest we where not impressed, its all about image and profit with them and sod the staff and customer, unfortunately with first group your son probably still works a 5 day week so our rest day pattern is not available as it can not work but he should still get a week off here and there plus his days due to regulations ie; 13 days on must have a day off or 72 hours must have a day off.

regarding my annual leave the four weeks that the company sets us are still compulsory and i too sometimes end up with bad weeks like next year my summer leave is half way through aprill but with the rest day pattern and the 8 extra loo days i can get another two weeks break twice a year at my choice.

Unfortunately due to a massive recent recruitment drive i do know that the company is no longer taking on drivers and i have heard that we have a waiting list from some freight drivers who wish to join, it used to be other way round under first group every one wanted to leave but now they all want to return.

Give my best regards to your son and tell him to mind those leaves next month your heart goes in your mouth when you have a 300 ton train full of passengers and you cant stop. icemaker (gary)

G

Thanks Icemaker, I have passed your comments along. I doubt he would actually move at the moment as he is just fitting a conservatory to his house. He did actually mention that the 'slippy' season was coming up and has already had one trip where it took the emergency brakes to get the speed down to the approaching limit. I did tell him he should not be telling me these things...

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian, I've heard about this waiver it just makes a mockery of the whole system forcing employees to sign their rights away, I am wondering about its legality, any one out there know anything about employment law?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have signed this waiver in the last four companies I have worked for. It does not give the company the right to make you work more than your alloted hours. It merely means that the company can approach you and ask if you will work overtime. You can still say no.

In the real world though, if they want you to work, they can find a way to make it difficult for you to refuse.

The other side of the coin is that if they apply too much pressure, most people will look for alternative employment and walk.

How satisfying is that, when you hand your notice in?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian, I've heard about this waiver it just makes a mockery of the whole system forcing employees to sign their rights away, I am wondering about its legality, any one out there know anything about employment law?
Not noticed any extra pile ups on our local motorways Roy, that mean the new work is going well bud?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brian tell them to stick the job and get a job on the railways driving trains, i work a 4 day 35 hour week which gives me friday saturday sunday monday tuesday off every 3 weeks so i can use the van and in between i get a wednesday and thursday off for a bit of midweek caravanning. on top of this i have 4 weeks annual leave plus 8 floating days that i can have off whenever i like. driving trains and caravans go hand in hand, its great. soundsto me like your company havent heard of human rights or unions.
Isn't it difficult to get a caravan on the rails Icemaker?

I'm sure there was no mention of it on my COS course.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Not noticed any extra pile ups on our local motorways Roy, that mean the new work is going well bud?
Yep ok Lol it's only been temp though I finish tomorrow and await the next contract, I haven't done any damage YET

I've been very good and have been giving caravans a wide berth when overtaking them and it's amazing how many of them flash me back in

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts