Working from sites.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Sort of carrying on from my "I need a break" post what is the general consensus about working from sites 5 days a week?
The reason I ask is out of the blue today I was talking to one of our suppliers who have a vacancy based in the South West but involves UK travel 5 Days a week.
Now it got me thinking can I use this to my advantage, take the van and OH on occasions, accomadation paid for by the company amonst other benifits
So do I tell the site what I am doing, suppose it would be OK if OH was there during the day but not when I am there on my own.
Any one with experiance with this?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It seems to happen a lot on site that you see single people either on holiday or using the site while working
I can't see why being on your own should be a problem
I stayed at the CC site at Chapel Lane on my own for 3 weeks when my wife was in hospital in Birmingham

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Gagakev,

In the light of another recent thread about the missuse of CL and other max 5 caravan sites, the relevant act of parliament that allows these small sites states categorically that the certifcate of exemption is that the sites are for recreational purposes only.
However If a caravan is sited and one occupant is using it for recreation then that might be sufficient to comply, I'm not clear if that means others could be working.

As for other sites, it would depend on the terms of their planning approvals, and the terms and condiditions the site owners lay down for hire of the pitch.

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Sir Gagakev
As I have said before do the owners of a site have any right to know what you are doing once you leave the site each day. As at this time we have on site a visitor house hunting with his partner, since the start of the year I know of a daughter who’s farther has decorated her house, next week those who drive the road gritters in the area are to be assessed. and last autumn the drivers of NHS ambulances ,were all given a refresher cause. all those who undertake these tasks had a partner with them. They are using our site, at no time were they preventing others from being on site. I see no problem with your plans. go for it and enjoy

David O

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Working people are allowed, indeed encouraged, to spend part of each day on "recreation" - if that recreation is from 5pm to 9am then the caravan site is being used for recreational purposes, as permitted under planning approvals or exemptions.
What you can't do is use the caravan as a business base, ie making/storing/selling commercial items or even having business meetings.

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I would have thought it's none of anyone else's business what you're going away from the 'van during the day. Doesn't matter if you're out walking or working all day, it's not harming anyone else.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well as it a a specific term of teh Act of Parliamant that small sites certified and exempted from local planning apporvals (max 5 vans) are for recreational purposes only, the sites continued exsistence may be jeopardised if it is found that a hirer is using it as an accomodation whilst working. On that basis it is the site owners certifying bodies, and the ministers concern. though how they wodl discover it I'm not sure

Don't shoot me, I'm only relating the basis on which these sites are allowed.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Does that mean that any holiday caravanner who checks ebay via mobile broadband is illegal because they're trading, ie buying or selling?
It certainly means that caravan magazine journalists are breaking the law by trying out new caravans on commercial sites - who are also only licensed for recreational purposes.
The distinction is between recreational and residential, for which different licences are required - as workers in caravans have another permanet residential address, the caravan site isn't residential.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gagakev

I take the caravan and OH when I have to work away for approx. 2 - 3 separate weeks a years. I claim the mileage from the company but I stand the cost of the site which suits me. I have had no problem with sites in the past and like previously stated, the OH is on the site with the caravan and I make use of the facilities between 5pm and 8am.

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
was semi permanent in the van for 2 years and have been permanent for past year. I spend 21 - 28 days on each site and move on. never been asked for reason for my visit. Saying that I love my van and love the life so everyday is recreation for me. I do have a permanent address just prefer to use van.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi, my friends husband had a short contract (3months) away from home. He arranged a pitch on a 5van site for this time without any problem and the owner was aware that he would be working. I can't comment on the legalities but it was easy to arrange. In the end the contract was altered and he didn't need to go. I think he was a bit disappointed.
mel

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi Sir Gagakev WC (Bar)

I have been on lots of sites with people working,one CL near Stockton had a couple that were working at the Royal Mail in the week but a home in Nottingham and never had any problem with the site.As long as there are no problems such as a LWB Merc Sprinter covered in plastic cladding adverts or such like I don't suppose anyone will even ask.Aslo at Anitas in Banbury,and at Briarfields loats on site were working,even people in tents during the summer.I know because I talked to them at water points etc,I am a bit too chatty for my own good sometimes lol

Best wishes

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all your input folks, think if it comes off I would just go for it and see if there is any thing to worry about at the time.
Think as I would be covering differant area's I would not anticipate more than a couple of weeks at any one time in one particular place anyway. Will let you know how I get on. Cheers all.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Hello Gagakev,

In the light of another recent thread about the missuse of CL and other max 5 caravan sites, the relevant act of parliament that allows these small sites states categorically that the certifcate of exemption is that the sites are for recreational purposes only.
However If a caravan is sited and one occupant is using it for recreation then that might be sufficient to comply, I'm not clear if that means others could be working.

As for other sites, it would depend on the terms of their planning approvals, and the terms and condiditions the site owners lay down for hire of the pitch.
Gagakev was as far as I can tell asking if anyone had 'any experience' of working from a caravan site and what, if anything, those who have done so said about it to the owner of the site.
I don't think that he was asking what the letter of the law has to say on this matter.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
People using their vans as accomodation whilst working is happening all the time, on just about every site, be that a CL, CS, CC Club site, C&CC Club site or commercial site.
That is not to say that they are plying their trade from the van, but are commuting from van to workplace during the day, or night, and using the van as a "hotel".

I have met numerous folk doing just this, as I have when taking courses in various places.

As long as you are not actually having customers arriving at the van for work related activities there is no problem, despite some people quoting the letter of the law at you.

In the actual real world, Councils dont give a fig who uses the sites as long as they get their business rates in from the owner.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I used to work away from home a lot and on sites with a 28 day limit I simply took the caravan off site for a couple of days and then took it back to a slightly different pitch as one or two of the sites I stayed on had nosey neighbours who insisted on reporting to the local council every time someone stayed over the 28 day limit.

If I thought I was going to get close to the 28 days on any site I made sure I had a quick chat with the owner/manager to clarify what they would prefer I did. Never had a problem except for grass getting a bit long under the caravan and grass dying off under the chocks and awning skirt.

Most owners are happy to take your money!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm not too sure on the legality of it but we was on a CS last year and it had 2 vans where the occupants went off to work during the day and they left their vans on site while they went home for the weekend. During our week there the owner never exceeded 5 vans.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I've done both residential fulltiming on a seasonal pitch and for the first year I worked as well, until I got knocked off my bike while cycling the 2 miles to collect the van at 5-30 am one day. I have also towed our van around the country while working building commecial chicken sheds on farms.
My OH often came with and she would spend the day walking the dogs and crafting in the van. Trust me I found the caravan much more welcoming than the dodgy B&B's I used to stay in. At least in the van you get a nice hot meal, a good warm bed and a telly that works. You often don't get any of the aforementioned in most cheap B&B's. I've even had to go to A&E in the past to have shrapnel in the form of a broken mattress spring removed from my back!

Most caravan sites don't mind the extra revenue especially during the autum and winter. The only thing I would expect them to kick off at would be, if you turned up in a sign written van and hadn't told them of that beforehand. Often an offer from me to park the van in the overspill car park, or behind the buildings on the site, would overcome that hurdle.

I would recomend using hard standing sites as frequently after the end of october through to march, you could well be the only one on site in the working week.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
For my last 10 years working I used to take the caravan away with SWMBO or solo and leave in the morning for meetings returning in the evening. Dressed in a suit no one ever asked me if it was for recreation. In fact it is none of anyone else's business . When on holiday we usually go out most days exploring, sight seeing etc. What's the difference??
Ok running a business with meetings on site is perhaps going too far but that's not what Sir Gagakev asked.
My firm happily paid for my site fees and good decent subsistence allowance which always worked out far cheaper than a hotel.
I used to carefully plan the trips around the weekends so we gained the best of both worlds.
Sir Gagakev, Go for it and always remember there are dozens of sites who will gladly take your money without question. Afterall we are in a recession heading for a depression
smiley-laughing.gif
Take a pill.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hotels regard themselves as part of the Tourism industry, even though many of them survive only on business users - so what's the logical difference between a hotel and a caravan site?
I am aware of the planning restrictions placed of caravan sites but that doesn't make them logical.
One or two wealthy celebrities have been residential in hotels so they don't need to check anyone's purpose.

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
After some childhood holidays in caravans with my parents my first experience of caravanning was whilst working away from home.
Four of us were sent from the Manchester area to work on a project at Culham near Oxford. We were meant to be there for about six months. After about a month we all got fed up the rules the local B&Bs were imposing, so we clubbed together and bought a dilapidated caravan from a local farmer and put it on a lovely commercial site on the banks of the river Thames.
We had spoken to the site manager before buying the caravan, so he knew what to expect, and he had no problem at all with it. He tucked us away in the corner of a field, we were more than welcome to use all the site facilities, especially the bar! He knew we all went home every weekend so that might have helped.
We ended up staying on that site for about six months over a great summer and had no problems at all. We even enjoyed a bit of fishing on the Thames which ran through the site.

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have done it in the past by living in a static and working during the day at hQ and having to respond to emergy incidents when I recieved a call on my mobile during the night the only thing I had to do was not flash my blue lights or use the sirens within the confines of the camp and of course keep to the speed limit until I was outside the campsite.
I wasn't using the caravan to work in when I was in it it was my recreational home.

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Sister inlaw and other half spend a three week every year in their van. They leave the kids with the grandparents, he spends a day fishing then a day cycling and the third day bird watching or visiting historical sites and then reapeats the routine through the holiday all days planned military style long before they leave home. Sister inlaw spends her time at the van reading and knitting sat in the sunshine (when it shines) until her other half returns from his days activity.
Sam is usualy off site by 7.30 am and back around 6pm and then the'll get the shopping done and eat out trying well researched restautants and pubs.
Site owners or others on site could easily think his was a work routine. How does anyone know where you go or what you do each day when you leave site?
Two years ago I had to attend a court case as a witness at a trial. As It was at the other end of the country from us we stayed in our caravan and I put my suit on each day and went to the court leaving my wife with our dog, TV and books for company. No one batted an eye lid. I can't see how anyone can complain if you are paying your pitch fee and not causing anyone else any nuisance. What you do is your business surely.

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi all
During 2008 i travelled from scotland to somerset on work varying from 4days to three weeks at a time . I always told the site owner i was working (all CLs). I would leave 7am returning up to 6pm. Wife on site during the day. Never any problems. A lot of holidays for wife and a nice change to work routine for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts