worried , verrrrry worried.

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
The missus talked me into loaning our ADRIA van to friends of hers for the weekend , I wasnt too happy about it but she,d promised their kids !! so what can you do ?? I Talked her mate and her boyfriend through all the "need to know stuff" , I.E. water supply ,chemical loo , battery trip switch , site hook ups , etc - and you know when someone just glazes over !!! I just know my poor van will come back wrecked if at all !.

Wife,s mate assured us her fella (who I dont know from adam )had experience towing caravans before , turns out he,d only towed a speed boat before, So off they went last night in his massive merc jeep (no stabiliser bar) with a cheery "dont worry mate this is a 3.2, It,ll pull the a*se out of anything"

Worried , verrrrry woried .

Anybody got any "I LOANED MY VAN OUT AND THIS HAPPENED" stories ?? good or bad ..............pref good.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Sorry c, I can't help you with any stories, simply because in my case it wouldn't happen, even more so with a total stranger.

If your van does get wrecked whose fault is it? No, not your wifes, yours. You need to grow a bit more backbone. What the hell if she does cut off your rations for a week, at least you will still have had the van after serving your pennance ;O)

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

I'm with the others on this one. There is no way in hell, that I would lend my van to anyone; even to my best friends. Fingers crossed it comes back OK.

Lord Braykewynde is right, you need to get some back bone. Who would be most upset, them if you said NO, or you if it gets wrecked? No brainer.

Besides, if he can affors a big Merc 4x4, he can afford to buy or rent his own van.

John

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
OMG, the only people i would lend my van to is my mum and dad. even then we would deliver to set it up and bring it home.

you must be off your head.

charity begins at home your home no one elses. my friend told me that and ive stuck to it.

jo-anne

May 18, 2007
Visit site
Some years ago I lent my van to my stepson who promised to look after it I must have been mad it came back covered in muck which muggins had to clean off. Its all well and good for others to suggest a tougher backbone, what if your fears are unfounded. Wait until the van is returned then have a go if needed

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
my friends have borrowed my van with no problems. so look on the bright side, you've done someone a favour and if they are a decent lot then they will respect your property and all will be alright.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Our van goes nowere without me and the misses, as for lending it out............. enough said me thinks,

and yes I think this was a wind up as well

Jan 29, 2008
Visit site
Our van goes nowere without me and the misses, as for lending it out............. enough said me thinks,

and yes I think this was a wind up as well

my son who had a van before asked to borrow the van to go to bala lakes not far from us for fri sat it was for a hen night i thought he would be staying with her but no, there were other people( women) with her in tents about 20 of them it came back filthy, awning muddy drink spilt on seating and different camping table plus all my hard pegs gone missing and unit dented where something dropped out of cupboard above im waiting for him to ask if he can borrow it again im gonna say no never again

bob

Jul 19, 2005
Visit site
Don't think I could bring myself to loan my caravan to a stranger and certainly not for them to tow it. Have let my son borrow my car and caravan on several occasions but even then like to be sure that I will be around for them setting off after the difficulty of trying to advise over the telephone from work when my son ran into problems hitching up.

I did however avoid letting him take the caravan away whilst we were out of the country on a cruise but this ended up costing me an apartment in spain and the flights for his family holiday so that I could avoid the stress of worrying about my car and caravan whilst on the cruise.

Have let the son's ex use the caravan when it is already set up on a site but the grandson was with them and he has considerable experience of the functioning of the caravan from his frequent trips with us.

Alun

Apr 27, 2008
Visit site
Don't think I could bring myself to loan my caravan to a stranger and certainly not for them to tow it. Have let my son borrow my car and caravan on several occasions but even then like to be sure that I will be around for them setting off after the difficulty of trying to advise over the telephone from work when my son ran into problems hitching up.

I did however avoid letting him take the caravan away whilst we were out of the country on a cruise but this ended up costing me an apartment in spain and the flights for his family holiday so that I could avoid the stress of worrying about my car and caravan whilst on the cruise.

Have let the son's ex use the caravan when it is already set up on a site but the grandson was with them and he has considerable experience of the functioning of the caravan from his frequent trips with us.

Alun
i lent my caravan and my pajero jeep to my brotherhalf way to the site called me to say car was overheating and was topping it up and only had 3 miles to go another phone call hour later said the car had just stopped in the land and cut out, told him he most prop let it run out of water another call 1 hour later said he backed the van out of the lane with 7 guys pushing it hooked it up to another car on way out of field hit a post few dents in van cracked side window and ripped awning rail half off to see van tomorrow , and car is well cooked wont start so damaged the cyl head hows that for bad luck oin to cost him a few bob,,

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Yes we did!!

We lent our Abbey 416 GTS vogue Caravan to my brother, wife and two kids. I towed and placed the van and awning on a local site in New Forest. During the 4 day stay a seat base was broke, 2 Window stays on front window smashed - they opened the tail gate of 4x4 car against the open window. Luckily just the stays broke. But worst of all was the large dent in the side where a childs bike was placed against side of Caravan. We were able to repair all but the dent at a cost of about

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
We did too!

About 28 years ago we lent our caravan to my sister-in-law. She was a police officer (later to be a police driving instructor!) so could be trusted.........? Her car didn't have a tow bar so she also borrowed a brother-in-law's car, a Triumph TR7. Needless to say the inevitable accident happened on the A1, barely 10 miles away. The caravan was written off (insurance paid out rather generously)and the car damaged. We didn't get another caravan till this year, but we we won't be lending it out! (even a bit worried about letting our daughter/partner use it over Christmas on our drive at home!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts