Would you use an Ex AWS Engineer?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Had my van serviced yesterday and to my delight I have a dry Elddis, all's well for another year.

Now to the question would you use a Ex AWS Engineer? I ask because I have used the same AWS guy for over 15 years (except for 1 year when he was busy and I booked to late), he has decided to start slowing down his working life and moving into retirement, due to this he is no longer registered with AWS.
He did inform me when I booked with him and as I trusted him over the years I decided to use him.
He gave me a full report, exactly the same as before only without the AWS logo's etc.
I did whilst at work link up the CCTV for a short while and saw him checking the tyres (Taking off and replacing the tyre pal receivers).
Then when he scrambled under the van to check the spare that was enough for me,
do you think his report is good enough for when I decide to sell the van?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
SOME might be "concerned" that a service was not carried out by a registered AWS engineer. But if it can be shown it was the same personn over a number of years that would be good enough for me.
I woukd rather see that someone had serviced it than no-one, but some caravanners can be VERY anal over such things :rolleyes:

Reactions: Gagakev
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
SOME might be "concerned" that a service was not carried out by a registered AWS engineer. But if it can be shown it was the same personn over a number of years that would be good enough for me.
I woukd rather see that someone had serviced it than no-one, but some caravanners can be VERY anal over such things :rolleyes:
Good point MR Plodd, his signature will be on all the paperwork

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Had my van serviced yesterday and to my delight I have a dry Elddis, all's well for another year.

Now to the question would you use a Ex AWS Engineer? I ask because I have used the same AWS guy for over 15 years (except for 1 year when he was busy and I booked to late), he has decided to start slowing down his working life and moving into retirement, due to this he is no longer registered with AWS.
He did inform me when I booked with him and as I trusted him over the years I decided to use him.
He gave me a full report, exactly the same as before only without the AWS logo's etc.
I did whilst at work link up the CCTV for a short while and saw him checking the tyres (Taking off and replacing the tyre pal receivers).
Then when he scrambled under the van to check the spare that was enough for me,
do you think his report is good enough for when I decide to sell the van?
Hi Kev trust your own judgement of his work in the past, you have your own knowledge as an experience owner .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For me it would depend an a number of circumstances and how they might affect the value of the caravan to me. For example if I had a newish caravan and it was my intention to be able to sell it on with a minimal loss, then buyers are usually looking for a full service history with proper stamps and records. I would be disinclined to to use a non authorised service agent.

But if the caravan, were already well aged, and had no warranties applicable, and I had no intention of selling on in a couple of years. Then I certainly might consider using someone I know can do a good job.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Fully agree with everyone . Stick with him.
I assume he still gives the same tick box report and damp reading survey? That’s good enough for me.
One small point . My AWS guy of the last 10 years has to renew his LPG and Electricity Certs by way of a one day course. I think he does this every three years to keep his official AWS qualification.
I can’t see this will make any difference to the quality of work you enjoy from your chap. I’d happily use him and be happy to buy a caravan regularly serviced by him.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I would stick with him, he has given you good service over the years, and when a AWS registered person stamped your books.
The service is done to your satisfaction, and if/ when , you come to sell the van get a AWS tech to do the service.
I get my van serviced only every two years now, when I come to sell it, the reason why, the cost, and low mileage per year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fully agree with everyone . Stick with him.
I assume he still gives the same tick box report and damp reading survey? That’s good enough for me.
One small point . My AWS guy of the last 10 years has to renew his LPG and Electricity Certs by way of a one day course. I think he does this every three years to keep his official AWS qualification.
I can’t see this will make any difference to the quality of work you enjoy from your chap. I’d happily use him and be happy to buy a caravan regularly serviced by him.
If the fellow is selling his services, he MUST maintain his accreditations with gas and electrical statutory bodies. It would criminally illegal for him to work on gas or electrical systems, if they are not upto date. And as the owner of the caravan its possible you might also be acting illegally inviting anyone who is not appropriately qualified to work on your caravan's gas or electrical systems.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’m sure you know best on Gas LPG Prof.

Looking at the NCC and what they say about gas is not as clear cut as I thought.

The NCC refer to Standards of Training in Gas Work) gas competence. But there doesn’t appear to be any “official “training.
In fact most of the the stuff on the NCC is ambiguous.
What do you think?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Looking at the NCC and what they say about gas is not as clear cut as I thought.

The NCC refer to Standards of Training in Gas Work) gas competence. But there doesn’t appear to be any “official “training.
What do you think?
I thought it referred to "competent" so maybe no need to qualifications as they would already have them working in the industry for many years?

NCC or Noddy's Caravan Club can only offer guidelines as they have zero authority and are an old boys club for manufactureres. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

What do you think?
The NCC has no authority in this matter. It's what the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) regulations that counts . Because this falls under H&S contravening the regulations is a criminal offence.

The exemption that caravanners often seem to rely on only offers limited exemptions to the "Private Owner" of a touring caravan or motorhome. If the owner or responsible person asks anyone else (including a friend or member of their family) to undertake gas work, they do not have any exemption from the regulations. the exemption only applies to the private owner.

It is the legal duty of the person responsible for the installation (for example the owner or site manager (private or otherwise) to ensure that only properly authorised persons under take work on gas appliances appliance or the installation.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The NCC seem to have a different take Prof! Or am I misreading.

Unlike in your home or in an office, caravan service technicians do not have to be Gas Safe registered. They do not need the same high-level of training as domestic boiler engineers do, for example. Why? On a simple habitation service, the gas infrastructure is less to work with; additionally, the caravan industry is able to take advantage of the fact that privately owned touring caravans and motorhomes are not classed as a domestic dwelling or business premises. This is a handy benefit to our industry as the level of competence required to work with gas is less expensive and the duration of the training is considerably shorter. This means less time away from work on courses for you or your employees. So what do you need? You need to have what is referred to as STGW (Standards of Training in Gas Work) gas competence. It is possible to approach your local gas centre for this training; however, the advantage of taking an NCC Academy course is that we ensure your training is strictly relevant to the work you will be doing, no unnecessary modules included or essential ones missed out. It is also guaranteed to meet the requirements for the AWS scheme. You can then be assured that you know what you are doing and meet your legal obligation to demonstrate competence to work with gas on touring caravans and motorhomes. Please note, if the unit is hired out by either you or your customer, this becomes a business transaction and falls inside the scope of the Gas Safe registration scheme.

My son in law has a number of gas safe qualifications and mainly does commercial work. He bought a van a few years ago and had it ‘professionally converted’. The company went bust just before completion and they ended up losing out a bit financially, but not excessively. But some work was incomplete. A recent habitation check stated the gas storage area did not properly comply. He considered doing it himself as clearly he is ‘competent’. But he is always careful that he does nothing that may affect his main income source. He does not want to pay excessively for someone with doubtful qualifications. So is considering adding to his own qualifications. Evidently. He will only need to take a test, probably online. £80 I believe.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Confused.
I mentioned STGW which has been mentioned again by John.

Prof says NCC has no authority in this matter.

I am still happy with Kev using his semi retired AWS .I’d use him.

My son is Gas Safe registered. As he is responsible for a number hands on engineers it is essential he keeps his own accreditation current. Similar to John’s Sil.

As an Owner with experience I still feel confident changing and fixing gas items including all post tests and checks

Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie
May 18, 2006
Visit site
No warranty on the van its 8 years old now.
My Buccaneer (Elddis) has a 10 year warranty for damp so it has to be serviced by an AWS engineer in accordance with Elddis guidelines. They are sticklers for the service being done and will try to get out of any warranty claims if they can. Pleased the van has a 10 year damp warranty as it has already had 3 damp repairs and it is getting serviced tomorrow and they are investigating damp in the roof from leaking sky lights! The van was bought new 7 years ago!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
My Buccaneer (Elddis) has a 10 year warranty for damp so it has to be serviced by an AWS engineer in accordance with Elddis guidelines. They are sticklers for the service being done and will try to get out of any warranty claims if they can. Pleased the van has a 10 year damp warranty as it has already had 3 damp repairs and it is getting serviced tomorrow and they are investigating damp in the roof from leaking sky lights! The van was bought new 7 years ago!
Van was purchased from a dealer and at the time the warranty was for 6 years, so just out of date when purchased, well thats what i was told!

On another note I will still use him as I said would prefer the devil you know.
The one year I didn't use him I had a service on my previous van and the AWS engineer took 45mins yes 45mins to do service and write the report, I was at work and the wife was at home!!!
I never followed it up as I was selling the van and wanted the damp report which he gave as passed, buying dealer checked it and yes all dry.

Reactions: Mel and Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts