X-Trail, CRV, or Sorento??

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We're on our 2nd CRV - the new diesel one. I can only describe it as fantastic. Our previous petrol version was brill solo, but suffered slightly with a low nseweight at 60kg, and towing mpg @ 22. The diesel now has 100kg noseweight, tows at 30mpg (1300kg shed) and returns 45 solo. (Have had 52mpg once when stuck behind a lorry for 20 miles grrr...)

Feb 27, 2006
Visit site
Hi there..I am very happy with my Nissan X-Trail. Its a 2.2Di version..the model is an SE+. It towed my caravan of 1300kg to Spain and back ..literaly without a hitch!!!!!Only the very steepest gradients proved to be a bit slow..but I was catching everything else up on the road,a realy good puller. The car is three years old,and I would not change it for the world. Ample room inside ,and seats fold flat to give a floor space that is level for all the holiday paraphanalia you could think of...and whats more ,they do hold their resale price..cannot lose..take care Keith.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can only confirm what PeteJ says about the diesel CRV. I have just replaced my 2002 petrol with the diesel and whilst I thought the petrol one was a capable tow car the diesel is very very good. It is only a month old with 2000 miles on the clock and I have towed 300 miles or so. It had bags of power, is relatively economical at approx 30mpg towing and 40+ on solo runs. I have no problem keepin up with the traffic flow and where possible keeping up to the speed limit for towing. If it proves as reliable as the petrol one I sall be more than happy.

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we have diesel Sorento XS with autobox and are very pleased with it. For your lower weight van have you thougt of the Kia Sportage or Hyundai Tucson, the later comes with 5 yaer warranty, and both get good reviews.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brave-fart,

Well for me it has to be the Sorrie. I've got a July 05 XS. All the kit is there bar sat nav, so I bought a Tom Tom from Halfords web site. It's ace. The Sorrie does exactly what it is designed to do. Tugs any legal sized caravan on the road. You just don't know it's there and the stability is magic. She's comfortable, airy and with excellent visibility. Dash is a bit plasticky but then aren't they all unless you have a Roller with walnut veneer! For the money a very good stable all rounder.

Alan of Cricklade

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mark

I have had an X-Trail 2.2DCi for the past 18 months and towed about 7000 miles with it. Excellent towcar. Personally would not entertain the 2 wheel drive only version for towing. The engine is so powerful that it tends to spin the front wheels unless you leave it in Auto Select mode which puts the power where it is needed.

David
Does driving in Auto effect the mpg?

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
Hello mate

I have had four 4x4's as my last four tow cars a Land Rover Disco great car but very expensive as things started to get old (it was a J)then two Frontera B's which where very good tow cars despite all the adverse publicity they got from the motoring press. At presentI have a large twin axeled Bessacar with two teenage kids a wife and 4 dogs, so they lol or we take everything including the kitchen sink where ever we go. I now tow with a new 06 Sorrento XT and by far its the best car I've had. Vey comfortable to sit in long journeys and more pulling power than Jonny Depp I dont really notice any great differance with MPG compared to the others but do notice the extra power and all the gagets u get with the XT cant stop smiling when i get behind the wheel. Can i just say I love cruise control spec looking forward to it on the journey to spain we make every summer. get the Sorrento mate u wont regret it

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just changed from a Fronty (b) 2.2 diesel which I would agree with Martin despite the adverse publicity was a great tow car. We did consider a Sorento and have to agree they are a lovely car for the money with plenty of extras. However have you considered the Jeep Cherokees, as there are some bargains out there at the moment and they have plkenty of pulling power.

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I'm just catching back up on this post from last year, and believe it or not I've still not decided! Finances are a bit tight at the moment, although I'm still looking...

In addition to X-trail, CRV and Sorrento I'm also considering the Tuscon and Sportage as cheaper alternatives, just don't want to compromise on space too much.

thanks for all your comments, keep them coming - it's nice just to know that there are few negative points of the ones I am considering.

cheers

Mark (",)

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
i know its advertising but i dont have anything to do with the company but i got mine from Flear and Thomson in Dunfermline thats near u isnt it Brave i couldnt walk away from the deal they offered i got the xt for the same price as the xs and am a very happy bunny so far.

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
I'm sitting about 1 mins walk from there right now! Although it's horsing it down with rain so I may not go RIGHT now...

it's good to know that you got a good deal from there, I have an inherent mistrust of car dealerships so like to research everything before I go near - probably undeserved, but I just dont like car salesmen.

thanks for the tip, if the sun every comes out I'll take a wander down (only during my 1 hour allocated lunch break, of course!)

M (",)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the X Trail Sport is a 52 plate its definitely a 4 wheel drive with optional 2 wheel drive.

The 2 wheel drive option did not appear until last year.Not such a good report on this model.

Clive S

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Had the first tow with my Sorento xs at the weekend and believe me its the best tow car that I have ever had.Cruise control set at 60mph it never altered only when I took it off for a quick burst past the odd truck or two. It never moved about like my mercedes when overtaking wagons the stability was fantastic.I should have bought one ages ago I love it.

eric@caravanning4u.co.uk

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
You had to take the cruise off to overtake?? wow, old technology, don't tell lol.

Now if it was a landrover, it would allow you to overtake and will auto resume without doing any more than accelerate.

Glad you are please with the Kia, everyone who has one loves them. With the exception that they seem easy to scratch

Steve

PS, all of the above was typed with tongue in cheek!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You had to take the cruise off to overtake?? wow, old technology, don't tell lol.

Now if it was a landrover, it would allow you to overtake and will auto resume without doing any more than accelerate.

Glad you are please with the Kia, everyone who has one loves them. With the exception that they seem easy to scratch

Steve

Use your fingers next time Steve, it's easier to type.....though not by much!

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
You may be able to lets face it I haven't found out how to use the climate control yet.There are some buttons on the steering wheel I know one speeds it up will have to read the boof :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Steve

LMAO - Remember that old joke "Can I use your dictaphone?"

Anaswer - "No use your fingers like everyone else."

I suppose the tradgedy is I am old enough to remember dictaphones!

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We went out recently with the intention of getting a Kia Sorento, having read the rave reviews and were put off by the wind noise, which would have driven us mad on a long tow. the dash was a disappointment too. We then went to test drive a Nissan X-trail, but the salesman was having his lunch and they asked us to call back (which we didn't). Our third port of call was to test drive a new Land Rover Freelander Td4 which was the third vehicle on our short list and it was third time lucky for us. We got one. We've had it a month now and it tows brilliantly. Whichever tow car you think of getting, do test drive a Freelander before you decide.

Pauline.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We went out recently with the intention of getting a Kia Sorento, having read the rave reviews and were put off by the wind noise, which would have driven us mad on a long tow. the dash was a disappointment too. We then went to test drive a Nissan X-trail, but the salesman was having his lunch and they asked us to call back (which we didn't). Our third port of call was to test drive a new Land Rover Freelander Td4 which was the third vehicle on our short list and it was third time lucky for us. We got one. We've had it a month now and it tows brilliantly. Whichever tow car you think of getting, do test drive a Freelander before you decide.

Pauline.
I hope you have as good an experience with your Freelander as we have had with ours Pauline - bought new in May 2001 apart from a small dash rattle - fixed at first service - we have not had one problem.

Great car - the Traction Control is truly excellent - I used it in the ice and snow again this winter and was very impressed. And wait till you try the Hill Descent Control! - a great experience.

We have been invited to try a Freelander on one of their Land Rover Experience Off Road Days. We have it planed for the 4th May. Having done a lot of Off-Roading in all sorts of Land Rovers and other 4x4's - I am looking forward to seeing a Freelander really put thro its paces.

I think you will probably get a similar invite in the near future.

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
You may be able to lets face it I haven't found out how to use the climate control yet.There are some buttons on the steering wheel I know one speeds it up will have to read the boof :)
I hope that you are typing this all tongue in cheek as not knowing how cruise control works in your car and what buttons to press/use is very very dangerous and irresponsible.

We were all told when we learnt to drive to make sure we are aware of all the controls of the car before using it.

Read the book before playing with the toys!

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts