X Trail strange problem

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi, Took van to dealer today for service (first time with this towcar). On the way I was going up a steep hill in third gear, and engine seemed to suddenly loose power twice within a second or so. Took foot of the pedal and re applied and it was back to normal. Now the really strange bit. Got to caravan, dealer parked up and turned off the engine and took keys out, and the engine was still running ! tried to stop it severel times but it would not switch off. Left it running for a further 10 minutes and at last could switch it off. Looked under the bonnet , can see a small ammount of oil has leaked from the intercooler, but cannot actually see the source of leak.

Caravan dealer said he though the ECU has screwed up, but have read that this can be due to oil leaking out of the turbo into cylinders. Did smell oil burning a couple of times but thought it was someone else, anybody else had a problem like this ?

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
ive had my x trail for 12months now never had any problems with it mines a 2.2 best tow car ive had not too bad on fuel either cant help you on this never heared of that fault

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
phillip,

Yes the sad thing is I had only just commented to my better half, that it was really good, felt very steady and had good power! Should have kept my mouth shut ! Mine is also a 2.2 DCI 2005 SVE.

only 39K on the clock. I have taken the extended warranty, which makes me feel better. What I really want to know is , what it is , just so I can make sure the dealer fixes it fully.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Hello,perhaps the turbo has started passing oil or maybe the breather set up is plumbed back into the inlet side of the turbo,this way oil vapour will allways pass through the turbo.Either way the intercooler must have a hole in it to be letting this oil out.Although i dont agree with it a certain industrial maker work on a 95% sealed intercooler is ok.

In my experiance engines which run on their own oil do so extremely fast and for about 2minutes before they destroy themselves.Maybe bodycomputer gone down with it not switching off?Exactly same thing happen to my wifes car when she first had it,luckily it was under warranty.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I had the intercooler changed on my 2004 SVE, in the first year.

The first generation leaked on the front left hand side, if you put your hand there it came away covered in oil.

Mine leaked down the block and onto the garage floor, only small drops mind, but a leak non the less.

The old intercooler is a pressed unit, the new one is not, my son runs the car now, and it has not leaked since, and has over 40k on the clock.

I would check that the car has had all the recalls done, the boost sensor should have been fitted with the revised version, to prevent turbo over boost, and you should idle the engine for a short while after a run, to cool the turbo bearings.

The turbo has been the weak link with the 2004 onwards to 2007, but i think the problem was mainly around 2004.

At any rate you should have the intercooler changed.

I would be concerned about the running on, keep a close eye on the engine oil level, keep it below the max level.

But what you have reported, running on,is not to my knowledge a common fault.

Check for loose turbo hoses, some were found to be loose.

An experienced mechanic told me all diesels pass some oil vapour into the intercooler, but obviously too much is unacceptable.

Let us know the outcome please.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. Called Nissan today. They said if it found that the Turbo is failing and I have a perfect service history then they will replace the Turbo, however I have to pay for the diagnostics. Apparently it could also be a ECU fault So I will have to wait and see. It is going in Thursday so should have an Idea by then. Caravan dealer charging me 11.50 a day to store the van till I can pick it up. So costing me whatever happens

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
chris

Yes i recall when i went in for the booste sensor recall (and fuel tank filler), the reception did mention you may need a ECU reprogram.

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
I had exactly this problem on a 54 plate 35,000 mile 2.2SVE.

It went to the dealers several times, and they changed the intercooler FOC as it was leaking oil, but could not get to the bottom of the cutting out problem. The diagnostics said "Turbo control fault" each time, but they had no idea why, and as it could be "fixed" by just lifting off the throttle and flooring it again nobody was too concerned. 2 months ago the turbo failed completely, bearings and seals. I stopped the engine at once and was recovered to Nissan dealer.

Good news - Nissan was extending warranties on turbos to 5 years or 90,000 miles

Bad news - my car was 5 years and 6 weeks old.

I pointed out that I had been moaning of turbo probs for a year, the car was only 6 weeks out of the extra time, and the mileage was less than half the warranty.

Fair play to the dealer, they leant on Nissan who agreed to pay for parts and 50% labour, so that was quite fair.

The dealer reckoned that although my car had had the recall to turn down the turbo boost, the damage had been done in the early days.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Nissan dealer has found the Turbo is failing and Intercooler and exhaust has oil and diesel contamination. Good news is Nissan are paying for the whole bill.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Took Van to Devon following repair and guess what....

Still could not stop the engine until that was the van was un hitched, The Towball electrics have obviously been wired to the wrong side of the ignition electrics. Wife took it back to where it was fitted, who are a national well known company.

They told wife the problem was caused because they had fitted a bypass relay, and the van relay was causing the problem (which I think is total bull).

My understanding is that the 12 V should be taken from a sused link direct from the battery. Am I correct ? I would like to take it up with their head office, it could have caused damage to the cars electrics.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
All three of my last cars, A4, and two xtrails, all fitted at the same place, all had a 12v feed directly from the battery via a fuse for the charger and fridge supply. Via a voltage sensitive relay

The A4 had interposing relays fitted due to the bulb failure system.

Not sure about the 2004 xtrail, with the 2009 xtrail i had the nissan specific loom fitted for the road lights, due to the possibly of damaging the cars CAN BUS system or ECU.

After reading your post the extra

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, and al is well (except for the wiring). Just found out they also took a bag out of the boot and did not put it back , so we have to go over again now and pick it up. Think I will write a letter of complaint to the fitting company.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts