xtrail 2wheel drive

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
HI ALL,I HAVE SEEN A 2005 X TRAIL 2 WHEEL DRIVE,IT IS A 2.2DCI 136 SE 2WD,DOES ANYONE TOW WITH THIS MODEL, I SPOKE TO A NISSAN DEALER AND HE TOLD ME IT WOULD BE NO GOOD FOR TOWING MY 1300KG CARAVAN.HE SUGGESTED THE 2.2 DI OR 2.2DCI 136 SVE WHICH HE HAD ON HIS FORCOURT, IS HE RIGHT TO PUT ME OFF THE 2 WHEEL DRIVE OR WAS HE JUST TRYING TO SELL ME THE OTHERS,IF ANYONE DOES TOW WITH A X TRAIL 2 WHEEL DRIVE WHICH MODEL IS IT AND WHAT IS THE PERFORMANCE LIKE.THANKS MICK

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mick

The 2WD x-trail should be ok for your van but if you can afford 4WD then, in my opinion, it's the better option. I've got a 2005 4WD 2.2 DCi T-Spec and I tow a 1500kg van no problem. I leave it in AUTO when towing and it's very stable. Are you aware that you can put the 4WD x-trail in 2WD for better economy?

I would avoid the Di version as it's lower BHP (114 BHP I think), the DCi is 136 BHP. Also I found the kerbweight was listed as 1520kg but mine weighed 1720kg on a public weighbridge. The 2WD version would probably be lower because of the drive train.

As for SE,SVE,SPORT,T-SPEC etc... it's down to your choice of equipment level.

Hope this was of some help

Mike

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Once after using 4 wheel drive lock on a very muddy site, i inadvertantly selected FWD, i only discovered this at a junction while facing up a slope doing a left turn.

The front wheels set of in a spin!

There is no traction control,and i have never had wheel spin under these conditions with auto selected.

Get the 4 wheel version.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Once after using 4 wheel drive lock on a very muddy site, i inadvertantly selected FWD, i only discovered this at a junction while facing up a slope doing a left turn.

The front wheels set of in a spin!

There is no traction control,and i have never had wheel spin under these conditions with auto selected.

Get the 4 wheel version.
I ahve had 3 XT old model 2.2 diesel 4Wd and now XT 150bhp diesel new model

Agree with all the above postings

2 WD produces wheel spin when towing on wet tarmac slopes

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had 3 XT old model 2.2 diesel 4Wd and now XT 150bhp diesel new model

Agree with all the above postings

2 WD produces wheel spin when towing on wet tarmac slopes

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
⇨ 2 WD produces wheel spin when towing on wet tarmac slopes.

I think you could say that with every 2FWD, so this is a bit of a subjective view.

Michael ~(Mick),

I honestly think that your Nissan dealer is trying to sell you what's on his forecourt. Since when do dealers really understand the intricacies of towing, let alone caravan towing!...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Herve

If you say that all front wheel drive vehicles spin the front wheels its hardly a subjective view its universal

My comment was from experience of the vehicles in question and they will spin the front wheels if not used in auto mode especially when towing and was intended to suggest that a 4WD XT would be a better buy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My 4x4 when in two wheel drive puts the drive to the rear wheels and therefore have never experienced front wheel spin when on wet surfaces. Very rare when caravanning do I need to use the 4 wheel drive although I do use it for other things as and when the call arises.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin

The XT trail inquestion was the 2WD version

The 4WD XT has an auto setting which transfer drive to rear wheels and it does so that you are unaware that its happened

It can be driven in 2WD mode and then the performance would be the same as the cheaper 2WD model

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi Michael,

I am on my second xtrail and would not recommend the 2 wd version as it it very easy to spin the front wheels when driven solo especially when wet. Go for the 4wd if you can, don't think you will be disappointed.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I would think near zero difference, the rear wheels don't take up drive very often.

Unless of course you are a very heavy footed driver.

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi All

Does anyone know what sort of increase in fuel consumption there is comparing 2WD with Auto on the X-Trail ?

John M
I have towed with 2WD Xtrail and now 2008 4WD Xtrail. Both handled a 1300kg van effortlessly but the 2WD did spin the front wheels very readily on damp tarmac never mind loose surfaces. The noseweight limit on the 2WD made it impossible to achieve the recommended 7% for 1300kg. Nissan gave up on the 2WD option in 2007 but possibly because the Qashqai offers that option. For the current Xtrail the Sport is incredible value compared to the entry level Trek which doesn't have the advanced electronics on the transmission, cruise control or the electric sunroof for only

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts