Younger Caravanners

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Im 26 and enjoy caravanning like everyone else. I bought my own caravan about 5 years ago. Is there any other younger folk i.e in their 20s early 30s who enjoy caravanning?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
No you're on your own. We're all over the hill, one foot in the grave, in God's waiting room, crumblies and wrinklies, seen better days, grumpy old men and women. Next time you're on a site look around at the drawn faces, creaking backs and arthritic limbs. Take in the aroma of decay and listen for the sound of the mobility scooter. This is YOUR future, inevitable and inescapable.

Actually I'm just winding you up. here are loads of younger caravanners. Sadly I'm not one of them. Still like a laff though!!

mel

Nov 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Simon,

We aren,t one of the (young) caravanners but we are young at heart. Well we,re in our fifties and proud to be caravanners what ever our age. Just join a rally and you,ll meet all sorts of mixed aged caravanners some old some younger. We all enjoy the same hobby so you will find plenty people willing to talk to you. The rallys are great way to socialize so come along and start enjoying the company of us not so young caravanners. Hope to see you there someday. Best wishes. Erica and Family. Happy caravanning.

May 2, 2009
Visit site
There is lots of young caravanners, me for one i am only 18 and go away when i can, i even tow my caravan. I even enjoy the towing as well as getting on site. Its all experience that i enjoy

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
hi i am 26 and go away with my lovely fiance, im the same love to go away in the caravan when we can. I love the fact its easy to find somewhere and settle for a night or too. I enjoy the toing and getting away.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Al from Y/C said:
You are not alone my friend...

www.youngcaravan.org

I've just had a browse on the youngsters forum.
They are much grumpier and more reactionary that us coffin dodgers!
(but in an ironic post modernist way and with salty language
rolleyes.gif
)

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
we can all get reactionary and grumpy if someone doesnt go our way. Something about being british. I'm the same but also praise where its due

If you want to read things from grumpy people, try the letters pages in Caravan Club magazine

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Nooooooooo!
A CC member wrote the 'Star Letter' to PCv magazine a few months back. He moaned about absolutely everything, even the fact that somebody used a motor mover to reverse his caravan onto his pitch
smiley-undecided.gif

He reinforced the grumpy old man stereotype of caravanners exactly, he definitely doesn't do caravanning to enjoy himself
smiley-laughing.gif

The C&CC magazine letters are often a bit happy clappy, the ones which praise the club up the most usually wins the tent
smiley-wink.gif

(for any C&CC officials who may read this I'm only kidding!!! we enjoy being C&CC members and hardly ever moan, well not much anyway)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
It's funny you should say that Parksy, Although not quite over the hill at 30 something you are right about grumpyness but also general attitude. When I was little I remember it taking over an hour to get water on club sites because everyone on site was chatting. On the rare occasions that I have ventured away from CL's/CS's and onto a club site I have found it only takes this long if it's predominately GM's on site. If they're mainly my age group they don't speak, infact they walk along with their heads down and don't even make eye contact. What a sorry state of affairs!! I wonder if they grew up to it like me or are relatively new to the hobby. What worries me is if they don't change over the years what a grumpy state of affairs in another 30 years from now!!

That Blasted Puppy's chewing my slipper now!!

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
i have to admit i havent seen many younger caravaners as its hard for young people to be able to get a caravan and car as its an expensive way to start. Me and my fiance are lucky as we where given a caravan as a wedding present. If it wasnt for our present we wouldnt be able to afford a caravan. When we hook up and settle down for the night we get some funny lucks sometimes as to say "why are they caravaning" ha ha
i love it as its just a peaceful way to have a great holiday.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We were surprised when we first started going on C&CC rallies at the wide age range of most rally goers around the Midlands.
There are several active district associations in the Central Counties and although one or two seem to attract predominantly older caravanners most have a fairly young average age.
The West Midlands district association who are hosting the 60s,70s,80s Rally which is the subject of a separate forum post has a thriving youth section who sometimes leave their parents and us old codgers behind to do their own thing and go camping in tents on their own (under appropriate adult supervision) and most of the adults on the rallies that we attend are between 20-50. The committee are mainly young parents and the older generation such as us who are 55-75 are never short of willing helpers if we need any water fetching or a spare set of awning muscles.
I have the impression that some 'thirty somethings' might be a bit shy which makes them appear to be unwilling to speak at first but as an old duffer I've got plenty of conversational opening gambits with which to break the ice and I look forward to sharing a joke or a bit of gossip or banter with the young people and now they just pass the time of day like everybody else when we see them around the site.
I'm not going to name the d.a's with the older age group, we go along now and then but I can understand why some younger caravanners try rallying once then give it a miss. They should go out with a few different district associations until they find one with a good mix of ages, a young committe and gregarious people who like to have a chat.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
My wife and i are quite young,her being a bit younger than me.Saying that i had my 36th birthday last week.Quite unbelievable were the time goes really and very scarey.It all depends were you caravan really,if you go to a family orientated site with a pool and night time entertainment for children you are bound to see younger kinds of vanners with kids like us and likewise with rallies and such for older generations.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Flippin 'eck seth, if you think time goes fast at 36 wait until 50 hurtles past. You are right though, if you go to the sites that primarily cater for young families, you do see younger vanners. We used end up on such sites because we are foster carers so our lad was at the "young families" end even though we are at the "almost wrinklies" end.
mel

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
im only just turned 30 ive been caravaning since i was a child with my parents now ive been caravaning for the last 4 years with my hubby and my two boys we love it and use our caravan as much as possible

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Glad to hear it, it's always better i.m.o. when there are different age groups sharing a campsite.
I'm not sure if I'm in a minority of one but I enjoy hearing children playing together outdoors.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Parksy said:
The C&CC magazine letters are often a bit happy clappy, the ones which praise the club up the most usually wins the tent
smiley-wink.gif

Parksy,

Where can I send the invoice for my dry cleaning. I spat my tea out laughing when I read that!

And I'm a relative youngster at 34yrs old :)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry about the tea Nigel
smiley-laughing.gif

I shouldn't say anything really, I wrote a letter about solar panels earlier this year which by some minor miracle was published in the C&CC magazine and I won a sleeping bag, but I did remember to put the 'on message' bit about rally goers being amongst the first to adopt environmentally friendly solar technology and to ditch petrol generators which probably clinched it for me
smiley-innocent.gif

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Hey Parksy we'll give you a list of all the CL's and CS's we're going to this year and you can listen to our three all you like! And even borrow them for a few days
smiley-laughing.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts