YOUR TIPS FOR KEEPING INSIDE OF CARAVAN COOL.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the current hot weather and 90 % of people heading for france this year what are the best ways of keeping our units cool esp at night (no air con thats cheating),like to hear your thoughts matthew.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I try to get a pitch under the shade of a tree (OK so long as it doesn't rain because then the noise of the rain drops can get on one's nerves a bit). Alternatively, a pitch in a slightly exposed location which catches any breeze that's going). And, of course, the usual, a desk fan. Putting a bowl of water with a relatively large surface area in the draught of the fan increases the cooling effect slightly, too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To keep the van cool at night we leave the omniment vent on 1 and then leave the roof vent above the bed open. That way we get a cool breeze .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We tried having the top sunroof open at the weekend, it was great and cool and we used the fly screen....but at 4:30 we were woken by brilliant daylight!

If you pull the blinds across you seem to loose the draft and the effect of a window being open....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use a desk fan aimed upwards to the ceiling above the bed area.The breeze is then directed down to the beds by the roof curve. The desk fan is in fact a pedestal fan with the stem cut down as short as possible - at full height it was inclined to blow itself over backwards at full speed.

Jun 30, 2005
Visit site
Just picked up my first van - it was 34 degrees in it when I was viewing so really a mobile sauna!

When at home I get a bag of ice from the supermarket, stick it in a shallow bowl and then put that in front of the fan. It is surprising how quickly it cools the air! This was a tip from the doctor when my son was ill and running a temperature.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Keep the sun off the van in the day so that it doesn't heat up, and give it out at night - close the curtains and keep windows on the sneck if going out. I like the bowl of iced water though, great tip! Keep the fly screen over the roof light as it cuts out 50% of the rays.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had the problem of keeping the inside of the van cool for the dogs, as well as us, last week in Cornwall. Two possible solutions, Homebase had, dont know if its still running, an offer on a small aircon unit for

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
We use a desk fan aimed upwards to the ceiling above the bed area.The breeze is then directed down to the beds by the roof curve. The desk fan is in fact a pedestal fan with the stem cut down as short as possible - at full height it was inclined to blow itself over backwards at full speed.
My husband does this sometimes too!!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I've solved a similar problem on boats in hot weather thus: set up a fan, but drape a tea-towel over the front (you'll need to fix it to the top, obviously), with the bottom dangling in a bowl of water. You'll need the fan on a fairly low setting, to keep the towel from flying like a kite, but as the water wicks up the towel and is evaporated by the fan the effect is very cooling.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Robert, you are not seriously suggesting having a wet towel in very close proximity to a 240volt supply ,,,,,,,,,,are you?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts