ú5.00 EARLY ARRIVAL CHARGE

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
can anybody explain this fee-i assume its another rip of from the caravan and camping club.

i thought of joining but will be staying with the caravan club as so far this year i have arrived at the following

PEMBREY COUNTRY PARK-8.15AM

TROUTBECK-8.30AM

GODREVY PARK 10.20AM

AND NEVER HAVE I BEEN CHARGED FOR EARLY ARRIVAL,IF ANYTHING YOU GET THE BEST PITCHES AND REALLY FRIENDLEY WARDENS

CARAVAN CLUB RULES OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
As my Husband does not work on a Friday, we would like to arrive before midday, as this is a rip off charge, we are no longer members of the C+CC.

Sep 11, 2006
Visit site
I was very annoyed when C-C-Club brought out this stupid Rule,They

say it eases bottle-neck of Departures & Arrivals,(COBBLERS)But

they know best ???????????

G

Unfortunately, I suspect we are paying the penalty for the actions of the 'something for nothing' brigade. I have been on CC sites and watched outfits arriving any time after 8.30 am and expecting to walk on to the site. These early arrivals are often the same ones who wish to stay after 12 noon to get the most?? of their 1 night's pitch fees. It can be very frustrating after having set up, to watch outfits leaving the better pitches around 5 pm.

The only way I would be able to arriive so early is to go to a site a few miles from where I live. I honestly don't see the point of going so close to home, there is no 'spirit of adventure', plus I would invariably return home to collect something forgotten. Travelling a distance eliminates any thoughts in that direction.

Possibly the C&CC is being slightly picky on enforcing the rule so rigidly, but they could easily state that if they start making allowances say for arrivals after 11.30 am then someone would complain at 11.29 am etc etc.

It is curious that if you go on a package holiday, or book a hotel, early arrivals invariably are not possible. Now are people complaining about the fact that they cannot under normal circumstances get on to the sites before noon, or about paying a surcharge in order to do so? I do suspect the CC may introduce something along similar lines in due course in order to maintain a balance between supply and demand.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
We too cancelled our subscription as a result of the early arrival fine.

I accept that hotels etc. also do not permit early arrival, although if a room is ready they usually do. Caravanning is supposed to be a more relaxed, casual way of life and often if travelling long distances, it is not possible to guage accurately just what time arrival will be.

If wardens don't want arrivals before a certain time, just don't let people in, but to charge is like fining members of their own club.

Chris

G

The comments regarding arrival times are reasonable, but at the end of the day the Club is running a business to satisfy all its members and rules will no doubtedly have to be a part of that. It has also been already mentioned that on one site the member was advised to 'hang about' for 20 minutes and no charge would be imposed, so it is your choice at the end of the day.

As far as departure times, I honestly don't know the rules. I have never stayed beyond 12 noon if I am planning to leave as I am usually trying to get to another destination, so the issue has never arisen. I do know that when I stayed in France I was approached by the site wardens on a big site at 11.30 am to ask if I was leaving that day, I had actually arranged to stay on but this has not been logged in the system, as my pitch had already been allocated to a new arrival, according to the 'foot soldiers'..

I really don't see it as a big issue. If you are early then stop and have a coffee somewhere. Also look on the bright side, the more that cancel the C&CC then the more spaces available for others.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reading this thread it would appear that the C&CC are well on the way to achieving their aim - those that turn up at silly times are not renewing their membership so eventually the problem disappears. Very clever! When the Caravan Club realise this I'm sure they will follow suit.

If the rule is clear I can't see why people complain - after all if you don't want to pay the

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
Reading this thread it would appear that the C&CC are well on the way to achieving their aim - those that turn up at silly times are not renewing their membership so eventually the problem disappears. Very clever! When the Caravan Club realise this I'm sure they will follow suit.

If the rule is clear I can't see why people complain - after all if you don't want to pay the

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The comments regarding arrival times are reasonable, but at the end of the day the Club is running a business to satisfy all its members and rules will no doubtedly have to be a part of that. It has also been already mentioned that on one site the member was advised to 'hang about' for 20 minutes and no charge would be imposed, so it is your choice at the end of the day.

As far as departure times, I honestly don't know the rules. I have never stayed beyond 12 noon if I am planning to leave as I am usually trying to get to another destination, so the issue has never arisen. I do know that when I stayed in France I was approached by the site wardens on a big site at 11.30 am to ask if I was leaving that day, I had actually arranged to stay on but this has not been logged in the system, as my pitch had already been allocated to a new arrival, according to the 'foot soldiers'..

I really don't see it as a big issue. If you are early then stop and have a coffee somewhere. Also look on the bright side, the more that cancel the C&CC then the more spaces available for others.
I was advised to "hang about" - I was told if I left and came back 20 minutes later I wouldnt have to pay it. Due to my indicators not working and the site being on a busy A road I didn't want to take that risk. The club manual even warned people about the dangers on leaving/entering the site because of speeding traffic. When I arrived at the entrance to turn right I had to stop because of the cars overtaking me, they wasn't to know I wanted to turn right into the site.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I was advised to "hang about" - I was told if I left and came back 20 minutes later I wouldnt have to pay it. Due to my indicators not working and the site being on a busy A road I didn't want to take that risk. The club manual even warned people about the dangers on leaving/entering the site because of speeding traffic. When I arrived at the entrance to turn right I had to stop because of the cars overtaking me, they wasn't to know I wanted to turn right into the site.
typo - wasn't

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
If I might add it's because that people are leaving or left in their droves, not only over this but also the 4x4 issue that the club haven't got the money to update their crappy sites. All the ones I visited didn't come up to the worse that the Caravan Clubs can offer. They were all riddled with pot holes and now they've taken on the Forest sites. The ones Ive visited of those have pot holes all over the place so they will fit in well with the C&CC. The C&CCs grey water disposal points must be a health issue alone, having to pour it away at the same place as the drinking water. Then if you want to fill your Aqua Roll you have to sit that in the trough where the grey waters been emptied, brilliant idea.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There must be two Camping and Caravanning Clubs out there - the one I belong to, which runs excellent sites with first rate services, and the one his Lordship is thinking of. As for the wastewater disposal points - the waste water on every C&CC site I have stayed on is disposed of in a drain on the opposite side of the water point to the fresh water tap. True, on the very rare occasion, the odd splash of washing up water (and that is what we are really talking about here) might touch the outside of your Aquaroll. But once you have filled up with clean water, I suspect you, like the rest of us, then roll it back to your pitch over grass and gravel, which probably has been contaminated with far worse than the odd drop of grey water. I have belonged to the CC, I am not going to knock them, I think they are an excellent organisation, they just do not provide the sort environment in which I like to spend my leisure time.

I don't quite see how the C&CC is anti 4x4. They ran a highly successful introduction to towing at the NEC last year in conjunction with Landrover, they regularly have 4x4s as test vehicles and frequently give them good reviews in their magazine.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hooray for the early arrival fee.

I'm sure we've all been on sites during the morning, say 10.30am pottering around getting packed up in the knowledge that we don't have to be off until midday when, and I just hate this, the early arrival brigade turning up huffing, puffing and tutting because there are no empty pitches, or the pitch they want isn't empty. That really gets me going and I make sure I stay until the very last minute, usually squeezing in a quick cup of tea before hitching up. I've paid for that pitch until noon so if I want, I'm going to use it until noon. If the pitch is not available until 12noon then don't turn up until 12noon otherwise pay the

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
In answer to chrissies post you obviously haven't been to Rhandirmyn in Wales or their Loch Lomond site then :O).

At Rhandirmyn we also encountered the rudest pair of wardens anyone could meet. We received a rollicking because we only had my wifes membership card (I always keep mine in my filing cabinet by my computer) and was told in no uncertain terms not to let it happen again. God only knows how I kept my cool and never hung the pair of them from the flag pole. The following day it was some campers turn to get the sharp end of their tongues with raised voices and a lot of arm gesticulating and this went on for about 10 minutes.

It took me exactly one seasons experience to realise the C&CC wasn't for me. No more rowdy tenters with unruly kids chasing the ducks and trying to kill them. No more miserable faced wardens who seem to long for the end of the season so they can have their brains back.

Regarding the 4X4 article in their magazine, it was discussed in this forum at some length and people said they had left the club because of it. I'm sorry but I cannot add the reasons why because not being a member I don't read the magazine and I don't wish to speculate. Perhaps someone can find the postings in a search, Ive tried and failed because of the poor search engine.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hooray for the early arrival fee.

I'm sure we've all been on sites during the morning, say 10.30am pottering around getting packed up in the knowledge that we don't have to be off until midday when, and I just hate this, the early arrival brigade turning up huffing, puffing and tutting because there are no empty pitches, or the pitch they want isn't empty. That really gets me going and I make sure I stay until the very last minute, usually squeezing in a quick cup of tea before hitching up. I've paid for that pitch until noon so if I want, I'm going to use it until noon. If the pitch is not available until 12noon then don't turn up until 12noon otherwise pay the

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Last year we went to the Camping Club site at Verwood. We arrived at the site just after 12.00 along with 3 other units. Of course it was lunch time and obviously inconvenient for the wardens. I commented on the fact that we had arranged to arrive after 12.00 to avoid the early arrival fee as the other units obviously had. The warden's response was that they were flexible and would not have charged the fee had we arrived a few minutes before 12.00. I wonder?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts