12v double socket.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Bit of a strange request this one. I am looking for a HIGH QUALITY double 12v adaptor for the 12v TV supply. Everything I have seen, i.e. Amazon, Ebay seems to have an issue of how well it grips the socket. In this case, its critical that its a quality item as the socket it will fir into is supended below a cupboard, so anything a bit loose, with the weight of two plugs and cables will not be a success. Anybody else got a setup like this and what do you use (its for the Avtex TV and Soundbar as I dont want to use two power bricks).

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I got over that problem by fitting plastic ties, I got to where I placed one on each lead and another linking them together . At first I used the correct way of fixing these things but if you put the end of the tie upside down and insert it into the loops of the other leads you can pull it apart

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, but not the same issue. The plug end of the adaptor will have to be pushed upwards, as if you were pushing it into the roof, and all the reviews Im reading seem to indicate both the amazon and ebay mulititudes of Chinese offerings dont grip very well.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi thingy, I’m not sure how permanent the plugs would need to be in the sockets, if they are in to stay then how about double sided tape, the thin double sided pad you buy from Halfords for sticking interior rear mirror on car windscreen, it sticks like something to a blanket and is very thin, probably a mm thick, so that a narrow piece between the plug pins, push it in to the socket and I doubt it would come out again, I used a very small piece to stick the catch on the bottom cupboard glass door, I tried several glues and nothing worked, mirror strip and it’s never budged.

BP

Reactions: Thingy
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Woodentop, ordered one.

Wouldnt work Beehpee as there are two TV points in the new van and we would need to move between them daily.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Not sure of the layout of your van but two ideas to consider - presuming you can access the back of the fitting within the locker could you install a matching second socket adjacent the current one - or if there is cabinetry alongside could you run an extension from within the locker to an new outlet at a more useable level? Seems your current setup is attempting to defy gravity and if it’s the ‘cigarette lighter’ type of plug I have never found these terribly reliable anyway.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Audiorob

if you follow this link, scroll down to the 360 viewer, the TV station, or one of them is by the door, and you can see why I would need a double thats a good fit. Both the Avtex and soundbar are now connected together, and will eventually sit on the arm located by the door. Both items will run using the 12v cigar type plugs, which negates the need for two power bricks, and the firestick will use the 240v socket.

2022 Bailey Unicorn S5 Cadiz - Lady Bailey Caravans

The mount in the bedroom is better being horizontal.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Audiorob

if you follow this link, scroll down to the 360 viewer, the TV station, or one of them is by the door, and you can see why I would need a double thats a good fit. Both the Avtex and soundbar are now connected together, and will eventually sit on the arm located by the door. Both items will run using the 12v cigar type plugs, which negates the need for two power bricks, and the firestick will use the 240v socket.

2022 Bailey Unicorn S5 Cadiz - Lady Bailey Caravans

The mount in the bedroom is better being horizontal.
As far as I am aware no Firestick can be plugged into a 240v unless you use an USB adaptor? We use an anti surge multi socket with 4 240v sockets and 2 USB sockets for the charging phones etc. It is quite compact as it is double sided and not one of those long ones.
What is the power drawn by both the speaker and the TV on the single socket where you will be plugging in the adaptor? BTW TomTom used to do a very good double adaptor.
Can the 12v socket handle a constant load of about 8 or more amps being drawn for hours as it will probably get hot. Not sure about the charger? Secondly the 12v sockets are notorious for arcing after being used constantly which causes a bigger drain. TV will probably draw about 4amp and probably the same for the speaker.

Reactions: Graham1955
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, if it looks like a plug, and its shaped like a plug, and plugs in to a plug, then by golly, it must be a plug. ;)

Can the 12v socket handle a constant load of about 8 or more amps being drawn for hours as it will probably get hot.

We have run Avtex TVs in this way for 15 years or more. No plug has ever become even warm let alone hot.
resized_f0c5790c-ff54-48ed-9d26-3da93fb2b002.jpg
;)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well, if it looks like a plug, and its shaped like a plug, and plugs in to a plug, then by golly, it must be a plug. ;)

We have run Avtex TVs in this way for 15 years or more. No plug has ever become even warm let alone hot.
resized_f0c5790c-ff54-48ed-9d26-3da93fb2b002.jpg
;)
I see that you have the adaptor for the Firestick so no issue there. :D

May 24, 2014
Visit site
AH, my Firestick is HDMI, not sure it will power the Firestick, need to look into that. Its the 4k version and it appears from their bumph it has to be powered. For what they cost, I might look into the USB variant.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
AH, my Firestick is HDMI, not sure it will power the Firestick, need to look into that. Its the 4k version and it appears from their bumph it has to be powered. For what they cost, I might look into the USB variant.

I have the same FireStick. It’s complete overkill for the caravan, but it was on special a few weeks ago, £26:99, it’s now £49:99.

I think it depends on the amperage the USB port is capable of. I did not look at the specification, just plugged it in and found it worked. From memory, it briefly came up on the screen that the socket was underpowered. But that then went and it worked without a problem. It was used for about 6 evenings.

As said in another thread. The FireStick has given my aging Avtex one hell of a boost.

John

Reactions: Thingy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Firestick is powered via USB. The HDMI plugs into the TV.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just looked into this power supply a bit more. The 4K Stick needs a 1000ma power supply. A lot of TV’s only have 500ma. But the Stick will monitor this for you and warn if the power supply is insufficient. But wise people, unlike me, would look at their TV specifications first.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just looked into this power supply a bit more. The 4K Stick needs a 1000ma power supply. A lot of TV’s only have 500ma. But the Stick will monitor this for you and warn if the power supply is insufficient. But wise people, unlike me, would look at their TV specifications first.

John
The Firestick is plugged into the USB socket on the Sony TV at home and seems to cope okay. Never had a warning come up.
We are now on our 4th Firestick as we have already had two pack up on us and both were powered using the plug supplied by Amazon. Nice little earner replacing a Firestick at least once a year.
We do have the apps on the one TV, but prefer to use the Firestick. One thing I have noticed with using the apps on our Panasonic is that on occasions the film comes up in Black & White and not colour.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The Firestick is powered via USB. The HDMI plugs into the TV.

Only partially correct. The Stick is powered from the mains with a 5.0W adaptor, which puts out 5.26 volts. It utilizes Micro USB to connect to the firestick. I did wonder whether a USB 3.0A to Micro USB lead would work, but its as easy to just plug it in to the wall socket.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Only partially correct. The Stick is powered from the mains with a 5.0W adaptor, which puts out 5.26 volts. It utilizes Micro USB to connect to the firestick. I did wonder whether a USB 3.0A to Micro USB lead would work, but its as easy to just plug it in to the wall socket.
However it is still powered via USB as the adaptor is a mains USB adaptor. More commonly known as a 'USB charger plug'. Our main TV at home we use the USB charger plug but the one in the bedroom power comes from the USB socket on the TV.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Only 1 amp (more will not hurt), required, and yes, the lead is standard to micro usb.

John

May 24, 2014
Visit site
UBS A to Micro USB does work with the Firestick, I have had it running this morning. Negated the needed for the three pin adaptor. Its getting neater everytime.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Back to the original question - having viewed the 360 degree to see the TV layout - could you use one of these (example)
Quick Charge 3.0 Car Charger, 120W 2-Way Cigarette Lighter Splitter DC 12V Power Adapter Socket Extension with Dual USB Quick Chargers for Sat Nav,Dashcam, iPhones, iPad, Android,laptop and More: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
from the socket to fix the new double socket out of sight to the back of the TV (or the bracket) then plug the accessories into it? Could be fixed with sticky velcro patches to enable easy removal, or double sided sticky pad for more permanent placement.
THis example also has 2 fast charge USB sockets.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts