1st time abroad.

Nov 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We want to take the van abroad next year for the first time, I would like to go as far as Switzerland. Would this be to far for our first trip. We would like to use the tunnel(tesco vouchers).

What would be the best route, and how many stops should we consider.

Any advice would help, as it is me that has to arrange all our trips! OH just turns up and drives....

Oct 30, 2006
Visit site
Cannot give you any advice as we are in the same boat, just booked through the caravan club, ferry , norfolk line , 3 nights on the way at forge something, then switzerland for 11 nights then back stopping in france for a break on the way back, think the whole thing with ferry, site nghts, insurance and fuel will be about

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

We stayed in Kent overnight and caught the tunnel at 03.30.We then drove to Geneva in 1 day(got there 16.00 i think).Moved to Interlaken after a few days,then stopped near Belfort for a couple of nights,followed by a night at St.Quentin on way back.My personal opinion is that you must really like driving to do it in a day! I reckon you'd be wise to do no more than 400 miles in a day.Let me know if you want any more info!

Regards,

Dave.

Nov 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi

thanks for advice, we would have to stop on the way and back. We're considering Luxemburg on way down and France back is there much to see/do in Luxemburg or is it just a stopping point.

Sorry more questions....

I understand you have to pay some pass thingy to use the moterways in Switzerland, also are there toll roads.

We like the look of the site Lazy Rancho(i think thats the right name)

Hugh, are you using camping cheques?

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

We chose to stay at Manor Farm as we wanted to be by the lakeside.

You require 2 vignettes (1 for car,1 for caravan)to allow you to use the motorways (large fine for non display+ you have to buy 2 vignettes as well)but then there are no further tolls.Ours cost

Aug 10, 2008
Visit site
Luxembourg, the city itself is an old fortified town,and is well worth a visit,as is the surrounding towns and countryside,but as a stop over point maybe the city is best.

A useful site for stopovers or indeed longer breaks.

a http://www.acsi.eu/en/home/l2-n144/.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Luxembourg usually has some of the cheapest fuel. There is a nice site called Camping Grit (don't let the name put you off) a few km north of Luxembourg city. See the CC Europe handbook

Mar 6, 2007
Visit site
I second the camping Grit site ... very nice people in charge .... On site eatery.

Very pleasant town within walking distance with ww2 musuem that will surprise you. I'll say no more !

Take a short train ride into Luxembourg city. As the minute hand reaches the hour the train will glide away and reaches its destination with the same good timekeeping. Now, theres a novelty.

Close to German border with riverside villages.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Have a look at Camping Kockelscheuer just south of Luxembourg city and close to the motorway. Buses to the city stop about ten minutes walk from the site. www.camp-kockelscheuer.lu

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
I can recommend Lazy Rancho - been there 3 times,last time was last July. Going again next September. Ideally placed if you do not intend using your car. Walking distance to Interlaken centre, although site fee does include free local bus, stops 5 mins from site.From Interlaken the whole railway network is open to you.Facilities are excellent - very quiet surroundings, unlike Manor Farm which is bisected by a busy road. Usually travel down French autoroute stopping overnight at Verdun. Last year I travelled back via tollfree route through Germany and Belgium but it was very busy, certainly not stress free. Will use French autoroute in future - I appreciate that it is an added expense but the lower stress levels make it worthwhile, for me at least.

Wherever you go Interlaken is an ideal spot.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And thinking about it, any Germanic country other than Germany which is a very friendly place.
Switzerland has some lovely scenery, and is clean and generally well mannered. Austria likewise. Iused to visit Basel regularly on business and always enjoyed it. The price of goods and the vignettes is a bit off-putting, but in the west you can usually get across the French boder to refuel etc.

The Zillertal valle area in Austria is one of the sunniest areas in Europe, crystal clear air, and your other half can always do the Julie Andrews thing in the hills. Oh and there's a very good narrow gauge steam railway along the valley too.

Have a look for next year !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts