2005 Adria water marks around window

Oct 20, 2020
Visit site
Hey,

I'm a new caravaner and my wife and I are modernising it and removed the old net curtains and noticed a dark patch around the large front window in one corner.

I have attached some pictures and hope you can make it out.

When I slide my finger under the rubber edge of the window from the inside drips of water start to appear.

I live in Finland and the snow has started to melt and the water starts to run off past the front window.

The heating has not been on in the caravan.

What would be the best plan of action for this?

Cheers

Alex

Attachments

• Adria Window.jpg
    Adria Window.jpg
    958.8 KB · Views: 17
May 7, 2012
Visit site
It looks like a problem with the rubber seal, but you will need to open the window once you can and check this. A new seal should be cheap, enough although I have no information on where to get it in Finland, but most caravan dealers should be able to help. Do check the condition of the wood around this area to make sure there is no rot though.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It possibly could be no more than condensation.
The rubber is a cold "short" so is prone to be a location for condensation, if the van is not well ventilated.
Even then with good ventilation the rapid rise and fall of the general internal temperature on sunny days, coupled with very cold external temperature could cause dew formation at the seal and where the window aperture has a thermal shorting batten embedded.
If it was a true "leak", I would have expected far more extensive evidence of decay.
Needs, more investigation before being too radical in starting any rectification work.
Once, dried locally with a tissue, does water droplet quickly form, indicating possibly more than condensation?

Reactions: Jcloughie
Oct 20, 2020
Visit site
Hey,

Thanks for you quick responses.. I will dry the area and make some more checks. We have snow at the moment so the snow will probably melt in a day or 2 I hope.

I will post more when I have more information.

Cheers again

Alex

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just in case mould (mold) spores have got in there it would do no harm to wipe the area with a mild bleach solutions.

If its like one I worked on a long time ago. The rubber seal are very easy to remove and then you can inspect it more easily.

John

Oct 20, 2020
Visit site
Hey John,

Cheers and I think we will wait for the cold weather goes unless I can get a large garage to pop that window out.

One option we were thinking was to cut that veneer panel away and replace it with white veneer as the wife would rather not have that black mark there.

Of course prior to that I think it would be good to remove the window and check inside and replace the rubbers, though they feel good I suppose its good practice to replace them.

BTW of topic but do people like to see renovation projects on these forum pages?

Alex

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I assume it is a standard design, and therefore there is a thin black strip inserted in the window rubber to conceal the staple fixings. If you remove the window stay at this end (two screws that look rusty) and gently prise out this section of the insert then you will find that the rubber is stapled into place every 4 inches or so. Are the staples rusty for any length around the corner? Although the water is appearing here this is the low point on the surround, so may be the water is getting under the seal somewhere on the outside and congregating in this corner. When you have better weather (or an indoor space) and can remove at least this section of the rubber to see if the window surround timber laths are soft and rotten which could indicate a longer term issue. Fingers crossed it is just an accumulation of condensation, but the board looks very wet and you can see where the water has been running down below the rubber surround, but obviously you do have winter extremes beyond our experience in the UK. Resealing the existing rubber or a new one, make sure all old mastic is removed and cleaned and then try a Sikaflex type sealant to refit.

Oct 20, 2020
Visit site
Hey Audiorob,

Thanks for you reply. I did notice when I was looking the 1st time that the window was not closing as well as I would expect, so I adjusted the latches, but as you can see they are a bit rusty.

Cheers for the instructions and guidance and now I am at the mercy of the weather till I can pop the window out.

As you sai, fingers crossed now and just hope it is nothing serious,..

I'll post some pictures back here when I can start removing things.

Cheers to everyone for your help and guidance.

Alex

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hey Audiorob,

Thanks for you reply. I did notice when I was looking the 1st time that the window was not closing as well as I would expect, so I adjusted the latches, but as you can see they are a bit rusty.

Cheers for the instructions and guidance and now I am at the mercy of the weather till I can pop the window out.

As you sai, fingers crossed now and just hope it is nothing serious,..

I'll post some pictures back here when I can start removing things.

Cheers to everyone for your help and guidance.

Alex
You wont need to "pop" the window out if you are just dealing with the seal around the window, yes you will have to undo the fixings to the stays and prop the window open.
If you are going to remove the window look at this thread
CLICK HERE FOR THREAD and you will see we have removed the window from my van, it was built by Adria and the strip on the outside
is a devil to get off, there is a photo of it on the thread,
That is assuming the window is the same my one is 2009 model.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts