4 x4's

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Only you could read that interpretation into what is ACTUALLY written!!

Amazing ability to see what you want to see rather than what is actualy there.

Oct 4, 2005
Visit site
Has that posting been taken off then? What is wrong with with being called an anorak? I think it can be an endearing term. Whatever next? I have seen much worse offences ignored or treated with leniency. Is there a witch hunt on for certain members?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not sure what happened TBH.

DV's mate in the office said Clive sounds like an anorak and then when I checked back that post wasn't there which made my post look somewhat cryptic.

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Our towcar is a 4X4 pickup with a tonnau cover on the back. It's the second car and used by my wife for her part time job when she has to visit clients or whenever we are taking the dogs somewhere. As to gas guzzling, what constitutes a gas guzzler? The truck does 30 to 32 mpg on good long runs and a little less on short runs. When towing about 23 to 25mpg. To my eyes this seems low as we are used to little diesel cars doing 50 60 mpg, but it seems from some comments that the truck isn't giving a bad return. I'm looking at other fuels to run the truck such as lpg or some form of bio diesel. If this government was serious about the enviroment surely using bio as opposed to fossil fuels is good way to go, but bio seems to be ignored as a viable option. As for the fact that its a large bulky vehicle, yes, but it tows the caravan easily and safely and the back provides a nice mobile dog kennel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our towcar is a 4X4 pickup with a tonnau cover on the back. It's the second car and used by my wife for her part time job when she has to visit clients or whenever we are taking the dogs somewhere. As to gas guzzling, what constitutes a gas guzzler? The truck does 30 to 32 mpg on good long runs and a little less on short runs. When towing about 23 to 25mpg. To my eyes this seems low as we are used to little diesel cars doing 50 60 mpg, but it seems from some comments that the truck isn't giving a bad return. I'm looking at other fuels to run the truck such as lpg or some form of bio diesel. If this government was serious about the enviroment surely using bio as opposed to fossil fuels is good way to go, but bio seems to be ignored as a viable option. As for the fact that its a large bulky vehicle, yes, but it tows the caravan easily and safely and the back provides a nice mobile dog kennel.
tell you what Mike i bet the ommisions are as low as a i.3 petrol

i tow with a 2.5td Frontera and i wont swap it at 23mpg when towing my Storm i think thats pretty good

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm a different Mike! What on earth is all the fuss about? I drive a large 2 wheel drive diesel auto estate which does about 40mpg solo, and like most 4x4's only 22-24mpg towing, similar to many large 4x4's and worse than the medium size 4x4's, but no one pillories me for having a "gas guzzler". We need a large car to transport our kids to University 3 times a year, to tow our 1300kg caravan safely, and to transport our Labrador in the back, most weekends. The main problem is that vans have got so much heavier due to increasing equipment levels which bars many family saloons on the weight issue alone. Our first van in 1986, which is the same size as our current 2004 van was 350kg lighter, our next van - a twin axle - was only 1300kg MTPLM. These days most twins have a MIRO of over 1500kg, with MTPLM's of very nearly 2 tonnes so the vanner has no other choice, if he wants to tow safely and legally. Cars have also got a lot heavier making them less fuel efficient - look at how the VW Golf has expanded over the years for example. So come on guys & gals let's give the 4x4 debate a rest, and be thankful that many vanners do have 'em to help pull us 2 wheel drive car owners off a wet CL!

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
We are going to try confining 4x4 debates to the Towcars forum. Please do not post any further messages in this thread. See explanation in Our Website / Keeing on the right track.

Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts