400x400 Heki light, (taking apart)

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Like others I have taken my 400x400 Heki down for cleaning by removing the two torx screws from the sprung handles and gave it a good wash and scrub up, the Heki is in two sections outer and inner they are fixed by four screws which on inspection are reached by using an extended torx screwdriver which you pass through two holes in the handles, but I have read a couple of posts that say you should not take apart the Heki, and on the other hand someone says they have taken the roof light apart, have any of you done just this?,

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi camel,I did mine last year.Strip it down,give em a wash,put it back together CAREFULLY,they're very fragile ish.Cant stress enough,be gentle.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can only second the advice you have been given, especially as regard being very careful.
After the rooflights have been in use for some time they do become brittle and are easily damaged.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for both replies, I will have to get hold of a giant pipe cleaner to bend to shape to get between the gap, cheers

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you don't want to strip them,part fill your bath,let em soak for a bit,slosh em around,should come up clean.i couldn't find anything suitable to clean between the two pieces.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thought that mini Heki were double glazed with the outer surface bonded to the inner surface. So how does dirt get in between the glazed surfaces?

I’ve got an MPK 400x400 rooflight which does get dirt in between the panes as they aren’t joined and sealed. A real design shortcoming as dismantling is a painstaking job again using torx heads on long thin shaft.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
D1_AB51_E1-_BCDF-454_E-_B2_D7-2_E998_CD55629.jpg

Here’s part of my Heki cleaned a few months ago. Mine is in two sections.
Warning :woohoo:
Only unscrew on a warm day. Do not use force.
Very slightly tighten first then undo.
The lugs are delicate, brittle and will break if forced.
On reassembly I used a smear of silicon spray.
Do NOT overtighten. Just pinch the screws.
A pipe. Cleaner or whatever won’t work.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
D1_AB51_E1-_BCDF-454_E-_B2_D7-2_E998_CD55629.jpg

Here’s part of my Heki cleaned a few months ago. Mine is in two sections.
Warning :woohoo:
Only unscrew on a warm day. Do not use force.
Very slightly tighten first then undo.
The lugs are delicate, brittle and will break if forced.
On reassembly I used a smear of silicon spray.
Do NOT overtighten. Just pinch the screws.
A pipe. Cleaner or whatever won’t work.

Is it a Heki (nee Seitz) as it looks identical to the MPK fitted to my van. And it’s going to be swopped out with a Heki soon.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Good point Clive.
The true Heki is in the kitchen area. This one came from the bathroom. No names so you may be right. I just assumed during manufacture Bailey used the same supplier for all the vents. Not sure now :(

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
On ebay the complete unit in this size seems to be from 60.00 including the flyscreen and pull-out blind. Also the flyscreen and the blind available separately, depending on where it was to fit. Good reason to be mighty careful if you decide to go ahead! The previous writer is correct that it's double skinned but the parts are independent. and bits do seem to get blown in - like the minor debris that collects on the flyscreen after storage.
Despite using the caravan step inside, and an A-frame ladder and long handled water brush outside I have still yet to discover how to clear the external surface of my main heki over the lounge! Didn't realise that rain was so mucky!

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I am contemplating performing this task. The surface under the outer shell is well manky. After about 42 emails to swift they finally sent me a pictorial demo of what to do. It's a bit like an Ikea instruction tho....
I would share the pics but not sure how. Most of the posts make me more nervous and I can see future trips being postponed due to a hole in the roof.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts