4X4 or car to tow

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I didn't think that BMW made a front wheel drive car unless the new 1 series is front wheel drive .. I have a 530d tourer and it's the best tow car I have ever owned , both safe and economical and very comfortable , Ron C

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I suggested that anybody who towed should borrow a BMW to try BECAUSE they are RWD. My Audi's were great cars but terrible tow trucks because they are FWD (unless you get a quattro)

4x4's are a popular choice because most cars are now FWD. Once you have tried towing with a RWD or 4x4 I reckon most would not want to go back to FWD.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Clive

I couldn't agree more with the points you're making, but whichever way I read your post it implies (to me at least)that Beemers don't make good towcars. Maybe it's the context in which I'm looking at it

Regards

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob you are right! I knew what I wanted to say but what got put on the screen was not what i meant.

Confused? I am now.

On re-reading it again what i should have put was that if you tow with a FWD borrow a BMW because it is RWD. Then you would not want to go back to the FWD.

Having then moved onto 4x4's you probably would not want to go back to just RWD.

I will now go and have a lie down.

Sorry for the confussion.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
I have a Toyota Landcruiser Amazon to tow my Avondale Landranger and cannot think of a better set up. I also use the Landcruiser for my work (165000 miles so far) and would not be without it for either towing or everyday use.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

I drive and tow with a 4x4 through necessity, my job often entails driving across fields and down unmade tracks. But I must be honest and say if I did not need it for my work I would not bother. If you want something with traction but dont want to drive the equivalent of a tractor with several gear levers there are some excellent part time four wheel drive vehicles that would be more than competent to pull you off a muddy field. Things like Honda CRV, Subaru forester,land rover freelander Audi Quattro etc that drive like regular cars and automatically adopt four wheel drive when circumstances call for it.In fact they may be better in some circumstances. I know which I would prefer.

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys, I'm new to this 'Towing Caravans' game as we only bought our first caravan this year though I have towed camping and motorcycle trailors no end of times. I drive a Freelander TD4 Sport with the BMW Engine which I was supprised to fine out the maximum Kirb weight was only 1550kgs. This is 100kgs over our maximum kirb weight on our van at its fully laiden weight and thats a twin axle lunar freelander. I've had the Freelander Chipped to increase the torque rating by around 35bhp. I've been thinking of changing to a car for cost reasons on tyres and fuel during its day-to-day duties but I was put of due to people pointing out that you loose your ground clearance at the tow hitch area when your towing caravans ? What is the better towing vehicle ? I've heard Freelander 2's are strong contenders, but also the Kia's a well rated as both these vehicles are generally good on fuel consumptions.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi 'Chewnlynn'
Welcome to the Practical Caravan forum and it's nice to see that you've managed to get the search engine working to unearth a topic started over six years ago, I'm impressed!
smiley-laughing.gif

No problem though, I don't drive either of the vehicles that you mentioned but a car towball must be between 350mm and 420mm from the ground with the car fully loaded but not with the caravan hitched.
An off road vehicle is exempt from the height restriction to allow ground clearance off road but if the towball is set too high this could adversely affect the safety and stability of the caravan being towed.
More on tow-balls Here

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Parksy said:
An off road vehicle is exempt from the height restriction to allow ground clearance off road but if the towball is set too high this could adversely affect the safety and stability of the caravan being towed.
BUT - there's always a but - most 4x4s and SUVs aren't legally regarded as "off-road" vehicles - it's generally only the 4x4 pickups that are so classified.
Certainly a Freelander 2 isn't exempt from the towball height regulation, same as BMW X5, Volvo XC90, Audi Q7 etc.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
When starting to read this thread I thought oh! Clive V is back and then noticed it's from 2005 so, like Parksy, I'm impressed. Maybe we should get chewlyn to post a sticky on how to use the search engine.
I have a Kia Sorento, a lovely 4x4 for towing and equal to my previous Passat for comfort. At home I only use it around town, like shopping etc. so regarding fuel consumption it's not too much of a problem. My outfit feels more stable with the Kia, no shake when overtaking car transporters for example. If I did do a lot of mileage not towing I might see things in a different light especially with the cost of deisel today. I must admit that before I had the Sorento I thought how ugly they were but now I love mine. The garage who did my MOT said underneath it looks as if it's just come out of the showroom and the mechanic who checks it over for me before an MOT said I should hang on to that car because it is spotless with no marks from oil leaks etc. Another plus, at my age, is I just step in and out of it, except the missus. She's so short in the ass she has to slide out
smiley-laughing.gif

And you get a better view when driving. There has to be a negative but at the moment I can't think of one.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I suppose it all depends on what you want to do with the vehicle and also the type of holiday you want. There will be plenty of people say there is not need for a 4x4 and they've never got stuck anywhere, others will say a 4x4 is essential. Often personal preference of driving height and driving styles especially when solo will dictate people's views. Personally I would go with 4x4 every time as nearly always use CL's/CS's and not sites with nice tarmac roads. Having said that maybe only NEED the low range a couple of times a year so is it worth it for that? I think it is but others will not agree!

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Its funny really becuase nobody has mentioned at the competence of the driver! I used to tow the Clubman I have now with my Alfa 147 and one day I turned up to Thruxton racing circuit camping field and the ground was waterlogged - big time! I towed the van across the field and spotted a number of Sorento's and LR's stuck in the mud close to the entrance of the site. However, I merily drove passed them all in my front wheel drive and the look on their faces was something I'll remember for some time! My car was not invincible and by no means am I saying that it has more traction than a 4x4 but even a 4x4 can get stuck with bad driver at the wheel. I see it all to often in the snow ice and mud that drivers, not just 4x4 owners, don't know how to drive in the conditions (i.e the floor the throttle thinking it is going to get them out!). At Thruxton, I managed to keep the outfit moving by inputting minimal throttle to prevent the tyres getting clogged up with mud and turned at a lesser angle to prevent the inside diff letting go. This wasn't the only time I have amazed fellow caravanners either!
So maybe before we all go off buying 4x4's perhaps we ought to consider our own understanding of how a vehicle actually works and how to best apply the power etc!
I have nothing against 4x4's but I do find it amazing at how so many people think they are the only way of towing a caravan, whether big or small! It is so 1980's! You would be amazed at just how good new smaller cars are at towing nowadays.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Chewnlynn said:
Hey Guys, I'm new to this 'Towing Caravans' game as we only bought our first caravan this year though I have towed camping and motorcycle trailors no end of times. I drive a Freelander TD4 Sport with the BMW Engine which I was supprised to fine out the maximum Kirb weight was only 1550kgs. This is 100kgs over our maximum kirb weight on our van at its fully laiden weight and thats a twin axle lunar freelander. I've had the Freelander Chipped to increase the torque rating by around 35bhp. I've been thinking of changing to a car for cost reasons on tyres and fuel during its day-to-day duties but I was put of due to people pointing out that you loose your ground clearance at the tow hitch area when your towing caravans ? What is the better towing vehicle ? I've heard Freelander 2's are strong contenders, but also the Kia's a well rated as both these vehicles are generally good on fuel consumptions.
Isn't the MTPLM of the Lunar Caravan 1600kg? I am not sure what the maximumm braked towing weight of the Freelander is but make sure it is above 1600kg otherwise you could be towing illegally.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
So many experts.
But ask yourself, why do rally drivers use 4x4.?
And why did touring cars ban Audi Quattro, wouldn't be because they were winning every race?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What car you decide to go for is a personal choice, and what I or anyone else thinks of your choice is irrelevant, but you you may find some of our reasons and suggestions useful in coming to a decision.

To provide a balancing argument to RAY's last post, There are plenty of caravanners (probably more than 50%) who manage there hobby without the need for a 4x4.

However AS a quite convincing half way house between 4x4 and large saloon car - you might find that an MPV or large estate provides a solution, MPV gives the height, and the space with lower running costs.

I don't find trying to compare the needs of a caravan to those of a rally driver is very helpful.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Same old story.
Why not have a 4 x 4 if you can afford it.It seems so many people put up a fight to find reasons to persuade people not to think about using one.
What RAY has said is common sense,on a muddy field four wheels driving are better than two.I cant understand peoples logic sometimes.
Im sorry but a two wheel drive MPV wont do the same job on a muddy as a four wheel drive.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So many 4x4 have road orientated tyres that they are poor in muddy or bad grip condition. Last winter there was the news report showing an x5 police car skewing all over the road whereas a Clio had no problem.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In my my post above I was'nt getting at 4x4 as my last car was 'God's gift to caravanners' and my present one is AWD. I omitted a key word...'tyres'.... Often it is the tyres that will govern your progress hence 4wd on normal road tyres can be inferior to 2wd on winter tyres when on snow. In addition to Prof's comments if you look at European vanners the 4wd users are a minority, but they tend not to use CL/CS type sites where a 4wd with suitable tyres can be useful.

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey thanks for welcome 'Parksy' and cheers for the reply 'Lord Braykewynde' too ...
I hope I haven't started something off again guys sorry if I have lol, some people seem to get a little 'touchy' on the subject I see.
I only bought the Freelander TD4 Sport as at the time it had recently been voted one of the safest 'cars' (excuse the pun) of the year (thats the two door) and having young children that suited me.Reading the latest 4x4 mags mind, the Freelander is apparantly an embarressment to Landrover ? The Freelander 2 is the much better unit though they say.
Re 'Surfer' post ...
Thanks for comment, but No, I went through all that in great detail, I had all that ok'd before I bought the caravan . The MTPLM on our Lunar Freelander 2003 Caravan is 1400kg. Having viewed and checked on loads of caravans before we went for one, we noticed the Lunars tend to be a little lighter than many others. Regards the Freelander TD4 Sport Towing capacity, thats what I mean't to say, even though a lot of people say the Freelander will pull 2000kg it won't, its 1550kg max. (you can chip them for more bhp mind !! it costs around £360 ish for the kit) I find it tows our van ok to be honest, but I was thinking of getting something with a little more towing capacity, cause the newer model caravans are a little heavier.
I agree with some of the other posts too mind, its about the way individuals drive a lot of the time, and to be honest I was looking for something sturdy as well as economical whilst towing.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all,
every time one of these threads get aired the entrenched views of opposing sides allways comes to the surface without any real convincing arguement eitherway,
the fact of the matter is it is really down to how one judges the merits of the cost of use verses ones own particular preferences, and the way the vehicle performs on tow or otherwise and how it feels as a driver.
LB makes a valid point to this end, the sorento for him is perfect at this time he doesn't use it much solo but does quite a lot of towing during the year, the car is in good nick and he is happy with it. in other words it is fit for his purpose,
my own view would be completely opposite to this however ? a sorrie or big 4x4 would be a disaster for us, as my car only tows twice a year so does 99.9% solo and about 1200miles a month plus as the OH is now just about wheelchair bound with little leg movement getting in and out without the use of a hoist would be very hard, it would be impossible to justify the cost of running one just in case it rains while we are away with the van.
another factor to consider is the weight of the van if it is on the heavy side there may be little sense in towing it with anything other than a tank, but a lightweight van like we have it makes no sense at all. a cheaper to run tax and insure little car with a towing capacity just big enough to do the job when required is more fit for purpose,
it's all down to CHOICE weigh up the pro's and con's make your own choice and be happy with it but for gods sake stop trying to convince everyone else there choice is WRONG,

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
it's all down to CHOICE weigh up the pro's and con's make your own choice and be happy with it but for gods sake stop trying to convince everyone else there choice is WRONG,
People are too easily brain-washed - decades of politicians and product advertising based on the principle of "one size fits all" have left most people with the inability to understand or accept that everyone's needs and/or wants are different. "Keeping Up With The Joneses" has of course been going on for ever so I guess it's just human nature.
It's interesting to note that Americans buy many of the same SUVs that we do, but usually in 2wd form - if they're going off-road they buy a real off-roader !!
I'm happy to be different and make my own mind up on things

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
hi all,
every time one of these threads get aired the entrenched views of opposing sides allways comes to the surface without any real convincing arguement eitherway,
the fact of the matter is it is really down to how one judges the merits of the cost of use verses ones own particular preferences, and the way the vehicle performs on tow or otherwise and how it feels as a driver.
LB makes a valid point to this end, the sorento for him is perfect at this time he doesn't use it much solo but does quite a lot of towing during the year, the car is in good nick and he is happy with it. in other words it is fit for his purpose,
my own view would be completely opposite to this however ? a sorrie or big 4x4 would be a disaster for us, as my car only tows twice a year so does 99.9% solo and about 1200miles a month plus as the OH is now just about wheelchair bound with little leg movement getting in and out without the use of a hoist would be very hard, it would be impossible to justify the cost of running one just in case it rains while we are away with the van.
another factor to consider is the weight of the van if it is on the heavy side there may be little sense in towing it with anything other than a tank, but a lightweight van like we have it makes no sense at all. a cheaper to run tax and insure little car with a towing capacity just big enough to do the job when required is more fit for purpose,
I quite agree.
I've not had many cars over the years, but each car in turn was bought to suit my needs, not the neighbour's.
Starting to tow obviously had an impact on my car choice, and my first caravan was a very basic, very old, light weight Monza 1200S.

Then as you do we aspired to a more than basic caravan, up to what we have at the moment, our heaviest yet at 1565kg.
While we only run one car from choice, i find the xtrail type car perfect for my needs, and i have no desire to push one on anyone else,
But i do like to have my say.
Only twice towing with FWD have i ever got stuck on wet grass and mud, so i agree 4x4 isn't essential.

But to deny the benefit's of the extra traction, and in some cases handling, is plain silly.
I actually think the auto matic 4x4 can not be bettered, there is a weight penalty, but that's often an advantage while towing, as it lowers the ratio. Increased service charges are zero for such cars, or at lest for a xtrail.
Both my dealer services came under £200, my next one booked in next month at an indi is set at £140, for a major service.
I also found the xtrail a real benefit to getting my wife's elderly mum and dad in and out of the car, both disabled.
Unlike the 4x4 Audi Avant we had, which was a nightmare for them, and permanent 4x4.

So when the xtrail came out it was an instant hit, for me it was what i had been waiting for, ground clearance for getting down them potholed tracks to the river trent, were hatchbacks cars would scrape the underneath of my previous cars, unless crawling.
Huge torque at the time, along with good storage for any equipment, 4x4 if required, good fuel economy, high driving position.
Very easy to park.
And then towing capacity of 2000kg, nose weight of 100kg, so unlike in the past my choice of caravan wasn't limit.
So that's were i am after a life time of progression, an xtrail type vehicle isn't for everyone.
But as colin says get what you want.
All these posts are simply offering advise, at the end of the day what you buy is for you, your needs.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all,
there you are some concensus at last, with positive comments both ways. rather than the usual banter. it would be helpful if a thread was started posing the question "why did you choose your tow car" with positive comments so newbies and those who are about to change cars could get a balanced view in order to assist in deciding the best tow car for thier needs without the usual rumpy pumpy, I may do this later
smiley-cool.gif

reading the last comments makes you realise something fundimental that is not allways touched on. Ray said "So when the xtrail came out it was an instant hit, for me it was what i had been waiting for, ground clearance for getting down them potholed tracks to the river trent, were hatchbacks cars would scrape the underneath of my previous cars, unless crawling." brilliant I am also a fisherman and concur with that, the old BX was definitly the best tackle carrier I've had pity it was so crap for everything else,
but the point is well made a tow car is only a tow car when the van is on the back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts