5 years a member

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I notice that on 09/02/14 I will have been posting on the forum for 5 years and it set me wondering who is the longest serving member who is still actively posting ?

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
My sig shows that I joined in 2010, but it was actually way before that. When the forum went a bit doolally and I spit my dummy out and left for a while, mainly because I couldn't get in! I suspect its probably eight or nine years really, but no doubt Parksy will know.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The original information on when a member first joined the original forum wasn't included on the 'joined date' which has been shown under the avatar box since the 'upgrade' took place.
The default joined date for long serving members was set by the website builder during the upgrade I think, although there are members who joined long before then.

The longest serving member that I have on the database who still uses this forum occasionally is Zafiral at 12 years 30 weeks and his last comment was submitted 15 weeks 4 days ago.
This database is inaccurate and incomplete, it runs to 709 web pages with an average of 12 membership accounts per page but after the first couple of pages it defaults to listing members in alphabetical order with a generic join tme of 8 years 47 weeks regardless of the real join date.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
See? I told you Parksy would know!
smiley-laughing.gif

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
CyberCynth said:
As a new member, I have already discerned he is the fount of all knowledge!
Hail, Parksy, Respect!

Come along to one of the Woosie Club gatherings (see thread in Chit Chat) and you can meet him in the flesh! You might even get to see his Lightpole.
smiley-wink.gif

mel

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
emmerson said:
See? I told you Parksy would know!
smiley-laughing.gif
Mel said:
CyberCynth said:
As a new member, I have already discerned he is the fount of all knowledge!
Hail, Parksy, Respect!
Come along to one of the Woosie Club gatherings (see thread in Chit Chat) and you can meet him in the flesh! You might even get to see his Lightpole.
smiley-wink.gif

mel
I only know these things because I've got access to the database.
smiley-embarassed.gif

I'm looking forward to taking my electric flagpole to the Woosie meet and of course to the Practical Caravan Readers Rally at Stowford in May.
I enjoy saying hi to forumites in the flesh so to speak, and of course my lightpole stands proudly for all to see.
I've got a bigger one this year
smiley-laughing.gif

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Mel said:
smiley-wink.gif

I've got a bigger one this year
smiley-laughing.gif

???? The mind boggles. I'm not quite sure what to expect......!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It's nothing to get too exited about Cynth, it glows in the dark and guides befuddled Woozies back from the pub
smiley-laughing.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well I first started using this forum long before the change to the present format,which tells me 8 years 47 weks,since the new format was up and running. I stand to be corrected but my mind tells me with the old formula you had to log in before you could read and comment , now I can trawl through all the forum without having to log in to read the various comments , which I do probably three times a week.
Never had any problem logging into the forum, which a lot of people did in those days, also complaing how slow the system was, operating mind you I have always been on cable first with NTL then taken over by Virgin, BT round here is a laugh, you still can only get 2mb if you are lucky on broadband.
The old forum often had a lot of farcical comments given towards other members, during various discussions and topics, often becoming quite heated, the offenders no longer correspond with the newer format.
Royston

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Royston said:
Well I first started using this forum long before the change to the present format,which tells me 8 years 47 weks,since the new format was up and running. I stand to be corrected but my mind tells me with the old formula you had to log in before you could read and comment , now I can trawl through all the forum without having to log in to read the various comments , which I do probably three times a week.
Never had any problem logging into the forum, which a lot of people did in those days, also complaing how slow the system was, operating mind you I have always been on cable first with NTL then taken over by Virgin, BT round here is a laugh, you still can only get 2mb if you are lucky on broadband.
The old forum often had a lot of farcical comments given towards other members, during various discussions and topics, often becoming quite heated, the offenders no longer correspond with the newer format.
Royston
Hi Royston
The old forum was a bit quirky, some members had to log in every time but others managed to stay logged in.
There were some complaints when the forum was upgraded to it's present form, some of them were justified because the web builders at the time left the job unfinished.
When this current forum was run from the UK server it was terribly slow at times, a lot of regulars gave up and went elsewhere and Haymarket eventually switched to the cloud server which can store infinite amounts of data and is normally fairly trouble free.
The keyboard warriors held sway on the old forum and drove many potential members away with their personal attacks and hateful remarks. There was not much that we as moderators could do about it at the time, but when the upgrade took place moddy's were given proper electronic tools to do the job with and I'm pleased to say that the troublemakers were very quickly and easily banished into cyberspace, never to return
smiley-cool.gif

I'm on Virgin Media cable and although the broadband isn't spectacularly fast it does ok for 2mb. I had an email from Virgin today to say that there is going to be a free upgrade to 10mb after August so I might meet myself coming back when mine's done
smiley-laughing.gif

CyberCynth said:
Getting warmer??? - I know, it's an Olympic torch!
Sorry Cynth, it doesn't usually come out in cold weather so it would only be of any use during the summer Olympics
smiley-smile.gif

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Parksy said:
Royston said:
Royston
Hi Royston
The old forum was a bit quirky, some members had to log in every time but others managed to stay logged in.
There were some complaints when the forum was upgraded to it's present form, some of them were justified because the web builders at the time left the job unfinished.
When this current forum was run from the UK server it was terribly slow at times, a lot of regulars gave up and went elsewhere and Haymarket eventually switched to the cloud server which can store infinite amounts of data and is normally fairly trouble free.
The keyboard warriors held sway on the old forum and drove many potential members away with their personal attacks and hateful remarks. There was not much that we as moderators could do about it at the time, but when the upgrade took place moddy's were given proper electronic tools to do the job with and I'm pleased to say that the troublemakers were very quickly and easily banished into cyberspace, never to return
smiley-cool.gif

I'm on Virgin Media cable and although the broadband isn't spectacularly fast it does ok for 2mb. I had an email from Virgin today to say that there is going to be a free upgrade to 10mb after August so I might meet myself coming back when mine's done
smiley-laughing.gif

CyberCynth said:
Sorry Cynth, it doesn't usually come out in cold weather so it would only be of any use during the summer Olympics
smiley-smile.gif

I think it must be one of those laser wands that were in use in 'Star Wars', then. I think I'll give you a wide berth if I see you wielding one of those!

Seriously though, reading your comments above about the changes in the Forum, I'm very pleased to hear you are able to weed out offensive posts. They're one reason I don't usual do the Social Media thing. I think it is despicable the way people hide behind a veil of anonymity in order to be nasty to people. keep up the good work Parksy, I always enjy reading the posts on this forum.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
CyberCynth said:
Parksy said:
Royston said:
Royston
Hi Royston
smiley-cool.gif

smiley-laughing.gif

CyberCynth said:
smiley-smile.gif

I think it must be one of those laser wands that were in use in 'Star Wars', then. I think I'll give you a wide berth if I see you wielding one of those!

Seriously though, reading your comments above about the changes in the Forum, I'm very pleased to hear you are able to weed out offensive posts. They're one reason I don't usual do the Social Media thing. I think it is despicable the way people hide behind a veil of anonymity in order to be nasty to people. keep up the good work Parksy, I always enjy reading the posts on this forum.
Very warm Cynth! Not because of the laser wand thingy but because I have COPD caused by working in iron foundries as a youth, so I sometimes sound like the Darth Vader of the campsite when I'm trying to get my breath on the way back from the pub
smiley-laughing.gif

I'll tell you the answer, it's a navigation aid.
When the Woosies and other forumites first met at Stowford many of us happened to be pitched fairly close together.
There's a nice clubhouse at Stowford where we often went for an evening drink and with Stowford being quite a large site with literally hundreds of caravans which look fairly similar in the dark after a couple of sherbets, our little group never had any problems in finding where we were pitched.
This is because next to my jockey wheel I had a 25 foot flagpole with flashing led lights which stood out from the other caravans against the night sky, hence the name - Lightpole Man
smiley-cool.gif

The weather was poor when we were in the Peak District last year so my lightpole stayed packed away but I've got a new flagpole and lights for this year to help light our way.
Our forum members are always very nice Cynth, Damian and myself rarely if ever have to do any weeding because everyone on the forum is friendly and reasonably polite
smiley-innocent.gif

The main forum 'arguments' if one could call them that, are usually very earnest and well meant and centered around the finer points of safety or engineering and these debates can go on for weeks.
The only worry from reading these is from your eyes glazing over as you gradually lose the will to live
smiley-laughing.gif

(only kidding guys)

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Navigation aid, aye?! Well, good to hear the Woosies can all stagger back to their vans after a few jars! Just aim for the boarding ladder to the Mother Craft!
Oh, sorry to hear you have COPD; good that you still get out and about, even if you do get a bit breathless at times. Keep taking the Salbutamol! Take care.

TRENDING THREADS