7 & 13 pin electrics

Sep 11, 2022
Visit site
Morning guys, so we finally, after a few week searching around found our 1st family van. Looking for some knowledge and advice if possible.
It's the got standard 7pin electric on the van (2007) but my car got the 13pin electrics. Now I know I can get the adapter so it all fits together for towing.
The question is what's the difference between the 7 and 13 on the van? And is it worth getting the 13 fitted to the van? Newbie here, many thanks 😊😊

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Basically a 7 pin connector only has enough connections to run the tail lights on the caravan.

The 13 pin connector has additional connections to be able to power things like the fridge and charge the leisure battery.

So if your car has a 13 pin connector it has all it needs but your caravan will need rewiring if you fit a 13 pin plug on it so that it can bring out connections from the fridge/charger etc.

What sort of caravan is it? Is it perhaps a European make.? I'm no expert but it seems odd to me that a 2007 caravan would have a 7 pin plug.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Strange that it doesn’t have either a 13 pin, or at least two connectors , grey and black, coming from the van. Look under the A frame to see if one may have been terminated for any reason; like rubbing on the ground and the previous owner did not repair or renew it. That year I would expect a caravans fridge, battery etc to be within the makers electric systems and connectors.

Sep 11, 2022
Visit site
Strange that it doesn’t have either a 13 pin, or at least two connectors , grey and black, coming from the van. Look under the A frame to see if one may have been terminated for any reason; like rubbing on the ground and the previous owner did not repair or renew it.

I didn't notice anything underneath but I didn't really click to be fair so it could be there 😂. I noticed the 7pin on top in the cradle which was plugged into the van.
If it hasn't got the 13pin lead, obviously I'll need to buy the adapter for the car. Because the 7pin is on the van and not the car am I right in thinking I won't be able to charge battery and run fridge during towing?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Changing the van to 13 pin would be a good idea. A 13-7 connector keeps you going, but 13 gives you full capability and from a reliability perspective the 13 pin is virtually hassle free from poor connections.

Sep 11, 2022
Visit site
Changing the van to 13 pin would be a good idea. A 13-7 connector keeps you going, but 13 gives you full capability and from a reliability perspective the 13 pin is virtually hassle free from poor connections.

Thank you, I'm heading down there this weekend as its still sited until the end of season. I'll check to see what it has and perhaps before next season will book it in to have the 13 installed if it hasn't got it 😊😊

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I didn't notice anything underneath but I didn't really click to be fair so it could be there 😂. I noticed the 7pin on top in the cradle which was plugged into the van.
If it hasn't got the 13pin lead, obviously I'll need to buy the adapter for the car. Because the 7pin is on the van and not the car am I right in thinking I won't be able to charge battery and run fridge during towing?

Yes that would be the case, but as others have said, its quite likely your caravan does have a second cable for the fridge and battery, you need to check, or perhaps a previous owner had a 13pin plug changed for a 7 pin to suit the car he was using.

Id suggest it might be better getting a 13pin plug fitted rather than using an adaptor,

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would have expected two plugs the second one with a white cover and can only assume that if it is not there a previous owner has removed it. If there is no second plug you should have the legal minimum for towing so you are not breaking the law towing with it but the battery will not charge and the fridge will not work when you are towing so you might want to upgrade. If you are happy you can buy a simple plug that will fit into the cars 13 pin plug and at the other end the seven pin plug. Not sure where you get them, but when we hired a trailer to move some building materials the hire company had them.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I have a cycle carrier and a trailer that have 7 pin and both have adapters that I leave on them to connect into the 13 pin on the car. You will easily find them on eBay and caravan assessories sites for a few quid each!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a cycle carrier and a trailer that have 7 pin and both have adapters that I leave on them to connect into the 13 pin on the car. You will easily find them on eBay and caravan assessories sites for a few quid each!
Halfords sell them, made by Ring.

Sep 11, 2022
Visit site
According to the website link below, the 2006 model came with two 7 pin connectors - One designated 12N and the other 12S.

Check to see if there's not another connector hidden somewhere. The 12N carries all the road lights the 12S is what would be needed for the fridge and charger. If you have both then you can get adapters.

So correct me if I'm wrong but I'm looking for a 2x7pin to 13pin cable for the car.
2 cables gets plugged into the van then obv the 13pin into the car?

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I don’t think we have clarified whether the van has both the 12N and 12S black and grey leads, but we’ll done to Bluetonic for finding the adapter at a bargain 12.99 on Amazon (above) which then could also be used for trailers etc that only have the 12N for road lights.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I don’t think we have clarified whether the van has both the 12N and 12S black and grey leads, but we’ll done to Bluetonic for finding the adapter at a bargain 12.99 on Amazon (above) which then could also be used for trailers etc that only have the 12N for road lights.
Thanks, the other good thing about that style of adaptor is it does not add a chunk to the length of the electric cables.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Glad you found the other cable, I have used the "ring" couple many times, but changing the caravan to a 13 pin is ver easy.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
sorry but I have read of serious problems with cheap adaptors including those on Amazon . I would only buy a decent branded one as price difference not worth the risk.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Panic last Wednesday as going on holiday next day. The 13 pin socket would not connect. Spent age's trying but remembered I had spare black/ grey fitting but could not find it?. Went 15 miles to a towbar fitter who said the socket had broke when turning it out an d welded itself in different position. Sold me new one £25 . Next day putting awning up and there was the spare socket !, why I put it there I have no idea.

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Here is the 13 pin conversion I did on my 2007 Bailey. You can see that the grey and black leads under the van were combined and crimped to the cores of 13pin cable. You can easily get 13 pin plugs with a few metres of cable on ebay

Steve

Screenshot_20221001-225151_Photos.jpg

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts