7 & 13 pin electrics

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Panic last Wednesday as going on holiday next day. The 13 pin socket would not connect. Spent age's trying but remembered I had spare black/ grey fitting but could not find it?. Went 15 miles to a towbar fitter who said the socket had broke when turning it out an d welded itself in different position. Sold me new one £25 . Next day putting awning up and there was the spare socket !, why I put it there I have no idea.

Being new to this game you will not be aware that the 13pin plug needs to be in the correct position before it will enter the socket. You need to buy a small green cup device from any caravan dealer for a couple of quid. You put it over the end of the plug (it will only fit in one place) and holding the plug (cable down) in your left hand rotate the new green device anti-clockwise until it clicks - may only be a few degrees. Then the plug will fit straight into the socket. I carry two - one under each of the car front seats - so I will never be without!

One of these:-

1668455183203.png

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Being new to this game you will not be aware that the 13pin plug needs to be in the correct position before it will enter the socket. You need to buy a small green cup device from any caravan dealer for a couple of quid. You put it over the end of the plug (it will only fit in one place) and holding the plug (cable down) in your left hand rotate the new green device anti-clockwise until it clicks - may only be a few degrees. Then the plug will fit straight into the socket. I carry two - one under each of the car front seats - so I will never be without!

One of these:-

View attachment 4116
I've never experienced the problem that you have described warrantying fitment of such a green cup device. Before hitching I always rotate the outer sleeve of the plug clockwise as far as it will go and hold it there before inserting the plug into the socket and that has always ensured a proper connection.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would not bother with converting the caravan. We had the opposite problem when our new caravan came with the 13 pin plug while the car had the two 7 pin ones used to work the old caravan. We bought the adaptor and ran with that for a couple of years without any trouble until we changed the car although you do need to make sure the extra length is taken over the A frame so as it does not rub on the ground.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Personally I would not bother with converting the caravan. We had the opposite problem when our new caravan came with the 13 pin plug while the car had the two 7 pin ones used to work the old caravan. We bought the adaptor and ran with that for a couple of years without any trouble until we changed the car although you do need to make sure the extra length is taken over the A frame so as it does not rub on the ground.
While you may not have had a problem, any additional electrical connection by inserting an adapter is a potential source of failure. Bearing in mind that 13 pin is the standard nowadays and the 13 pin system is well accepted as being reliable, it will always be worth converting a 7 pin system to a 13 pin one.

Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We did buy a good branded connector and had no problems. I do accept that some cheap ones bought over the internet have proved troublesome so you need to avoid them. The risk of a problem otherwise is I think so low that I would discount it.
I have had more problems with the 13 pin plug twisting out of alignment than with the adaptor and personally would not consider the cost of changing the set up worthwhile.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We did buy a good branded connector and had no problems. I do accept that some cheap ones bought over the internet have proved troublesome so you need to avoid them. The risk of a problem otherwise is I think so low that I would discount it.
I have had more problems with the 13 pin plug twisting out of alignment than with the adaptor and personally would not consider the cost of changing the set up worthwhile.
If you buy the green realignment tool you will never have a problem with a 13 pin. I always carried the green plastic tool and it’s still in its original wrap.

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch and RogerL
May 10, 2020
Visit site
If my ‘van isn’t plugged into the car then the alignment tool is aways in the plug. Acts as a sort of dust cover as well as ensuring that I don’t get any surprises when hitching up.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you buy the green realignment tool you will never have a problem with a 13 pin. I always carried the green plastic tool and it’s still in its original wrap.
I do have one although when I needed it I could not find it and ended up buying another from the site office. The original turned up at the next site as was inevitable. Personally I find the problems something I could do without and the tool seems to be an admission the system needs a rethink.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I do have one although when I needed it I could not find it and ended up buying another from the site office. The original turned up at the next site as was inevitable. Personally I find the problems something I could do without and the tool seems to be an admission the system needs a rethink.
I also have two, one stays in my "Hook up " bag, motor mover control and crank lever, wheel lock keys, hitch lock keys, stays extension winder for the drill, torch and caravan keys. Not left the bag behind , YET, but I do have three EHU cables.!!!

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Morning guys, so we finally, after a few week searching around found our 1st family van. Looking for some knowledge and advice if possible.
It's the got standard 7pin electric on the van (2007) but my car got the 13pin electrics. Now I know I can get the adapter so it all fits together for towing.
The question is what's the difference between the 7 and 13 on the van? And is it worth getting the 13 fitted to the van? Newbie here, many thanks 😊😊
Our first van had both plugs(grey and black the car had one socket - black) we never used the grey plug, only the black one(caravan road lights) Fortunately the van was stored in the drive so we cooled the fridge down on the mains and it stayed cooked all day on the day of travel.So we didn't need the grey plug.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts