85% Rule

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you will find that all these figures, including those from Bath, assume a typical caravan matched with an appropriately sized car.

My setup is a bit non - standard, and I have never had any trouble with it, even in quite blustery winds on the Severn Bridge.

The van is a Sprite Compact pop-top, with a weight of 685kg, and all storage is at waist level or lower.

The tow car is a 1989 Range Rover, and all heavy gear (eg awning) is packed in the car with the rear seats folded, so that most weight is kept forward of the rear wheels.

The caravan, top lowered, is barely higher than the car, and the ratio is probably about 25%

A daft anomoly in the rules is that my wife, on her post '97 licence, can drive this rig, but if we got a bigger van, she would either have to take an E test, or, and this is the daft bit, WE WOULD HAVE TO GET A SMALLER CAR!
Hi Thanks for responding,

I'm glad that teh weights are as low as that - so happy caravaning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there

85% is a Guideline.

What you need to keep in mind is you need the car to pull the caravan and to be able to stop. NOT the van pushing the car.

Safe towing.Or it will all end in tears.

Steve
Hello Stephen,

To some extent whenever the outfit begins to compress the tow hitch they will be pushing the car this applies to all caravans large or small, but not by much, as the overrun brake will come into effect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts