A Victor Meldrew Moment - "I don't believe it"!

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Just changed my van (Tuesday) thought we would order an additional door key so if daughter arrives at the van and we are out she could have the key and get in. Ordered through the accessory shop at the dealers. Just had a phone call back from them and they inform me the key will be £48. Now Mr. Fast Bird caravan manufacturer you are taking the "P" aren't you. ( I only wanted a key - not a door) Offer declined we shall continue doing what we have usually done and 'hide' a key. As stated in heading - "Unbelievable" or is this the norm?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
victor_meldrew.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not quite the norm yet - £40 is cheap. I wanted a spare for my new van. Only supplied as two keys and a spare lock barrel, £90 !!!
American key (British van) so son in America tried their RV outleys. Blank not available, supplied only to UK caravan builder.

'Very high security' - except the door hinge pins are external and would come out fairly easily.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Having a bit of a struggle lately to wash the caravan roof, so asked a large local caravan dealer if they offered a wash service. "Yep, £48"

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello Gabsgrandad
Try WG Pollard , derby Road Chesterfield
We used them to replace our Mercedes van keys saved about eighty quid, they will do a postal service
Alb

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Car keys are a subtly different animal, with electronics, battery , transmitter, etc, perhaps some justification for the over the top pricing of them. But a 'flat' caravan key with no chip or electronics just the key, then it is absurd pricing. But as with all caravan gear they (dealers)seem to have us by the short and curlies and know what suckers caravanners are for having the right gear.

Ps - tried to get one cut but that doesn't work either, they don't have the right machine to do them.
Pay up if you want one Grandad !!!!!! :(

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Already been through their pages but nothing like it. The key has TriMark on it. Looked on their web site can find no reference to keys like it. So it looks again -- if you want one- you'll have to pay.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Did see the short version Sproket, in fact used it to "pink" my signature. Now found Gaffers original method, Bit of self tuition and cracked it. Just hope it sticks!! Thanks guys.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Was out last weekend for 4 nights cl in Derbyshire and christened it. Weekend at home then we go again. :lol:

It's a hard life this caravanning!!!! :eek:hmy:

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Just changed my van (Tuesday) thought we would order an additional door key so if daughter arrives at the van and we are out she could have the key and get in. Ordered through the accessory shop at the dealers. Just had a phone call back from them and they inform me the key will be £48. Now Mr. Fast Bird caravan manufacturer you are taking the "P" aren't you. ( I only wanted a key - not a door) Offer declined we shall continue doing what we have usually done and 'hide' a key. As stated in heading - "Unbelievable" or is this the norm?

Gabsgrandad's post got me interested in my own caravan keys also for a Swift ........albeit a much older version.
Seems anyone can get a replacement key for just over £2.00 and there are only 200 different keys in the range.
I better keep my key number secure and even so...........anyone with a WD key has a 1 in 200 chance of having the key to my caravan!

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Update on the key - followed all the leads supplied on here. The most interesting one was at a Timpsons, got the 2 guys in the shop very interested. (suspect a bit of a challenge from me got them interested) Don't know how many blanks we looked at but 'nowt' like it. The "keysmiths" resorted to ringing their head office, who didn't have an answer, but asked us to send a photograph of the key, duly done.
So whilst they were looking into it went and did our shopping. Called back when finished and they had to concede that they were beaten and even their head office couldn't get a key like it.
So it still looks as though it's pay the £48, or I suppose I could consult the local 'tea leaf' 'cos I suppose they'll have them by now!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
FrintonMike said:
Gafferblll, your posting reminded me that I need a new key for my daughter so just ordered one from Leisure shop direct

.........yes they are a good company.
I always visit them at their site near Ilfracombe if I am at the PC Reader rally at Stowford Farm Meadows and always come away with something. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts