Acronym for departure and arrival

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi. First post. I'm returning to towing after 15 years in 'retirement'. I used to rely on an acronym to make sure I did not forget to switch off the gas or the handbrake etc. Can anyone supply one? I'm sure you will all have your own way of helping a fading memory.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Firstly – welcome! Or, at least, welcome back to caravanning and welcome to Practical Caravan's forum! Thank you for posting. I'm not sure what the acronym is, but some of our team have written-down checklists so they are 100% certain. On a busy day it's sometimes useful to have it all written down so you do everything right and the trip starts as you mean to go on.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Probably the best way forward is simply a list of things to be done that you might forget. Just before you hitch up you tick them off and when hitched you could have a shorter one to include the handbrake although as most of us can confirm if you forget that you soon know.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Raywood 100%, making a mental note of things and using mnemonics and acronyms is fine for some things.....but a written checklist is essential for important things....

I remember (although its many years ago now) that when I was a student pilot, one of my instructors drummed a number of things into us, with relentless repetition.

I'll only mention two of them, the first was :
Never ever trust a fuel gauge always check (otherwise, one day you will run out of fuel and that tends to spoil the rest of the day!)

Always use the written checklists (never try and rely on memory even though you think you have a good memory (otherwise, one day you will try and land with the undercarriage "Up" and that also tends to spoil the rest of the day!

So, if its important, use a written checklist and don't be tempted to skip anything..... otherwise, one day...etc........
Regards and of course
Happy Caravanning
paws

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Hubby and I tend to have our own jobs to do - I make sure the inside is all ready for off e.g. pots stowed, microwave plate removed and stowed, all lockers secured etc while he does all the outside stuff e.g. turn off gas, sort out water, waste and electric. Then we both check each others tasks to ensure nothing is forgotten - so far its worked well for us.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts