Advice needed on winter storage

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a 2 year old caravan, which I store in a reputable compound, but it is kept outside. I have used the caravan over the summer months extensively, and now it is unlikely I will use again till spring. What advice or tips would you give on storage. I have done then following already, but want to minimise any potential problems.

- Emptied of all stored food items (tins etc)

- Emptied of bedding/sleeping bags

- Left brake of caravan off, and hitchcover in place

- All services disconnected

- Left open fridge slightly

- Put bowls around with Salt to help with any damp in the air

- Will be checking every 3/4 weeks

Many thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve

We have just bought some fenwicks overwinter for the outside of the van, not sure how good it is, but I would suggest a good clean on the outside and some form of polish perhaps, this will also be our first year of winter storage, although will not go until la little later in the year so will be interested to see what other advice is offered.

One tip, make sure you leave the freezer door open as well as the fridge door, we did not use our van for about 2 months and obviously had not dried the freezer compartment, this resulted in some mould developing inside the freezer.

Also put your cushion covers up on there sides so that air can circulate.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Leave water taps in the 'on' position. I leave cupboard doors/drawers open to allow air to circulate but some people don't do that as they say it might strain the hinges.

Lisa

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
To add to the above.

Move the van fowards or backwards every few weeks to avoid flat spots on the tyres or better still buy a couple of scrap wheels and tyres and take the van wheels home and charge the battery half way through the storage period.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Steve you have not mentioned draining water systems. If you have not done this then you need to do the following.

Remove drain plug from hot water heater tank open all taps with pump turned off leave taps open.

Remove drain plug from the flush tank of cassett toilet (the one at the end of the flexible pipe) and the one on the filler spout, also empty the flush pump keep turning it untill no water comes out mop out bowl with sponge (good idea to smear waste tank seal with vegetable oil)

Remove crystal water filter

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts