Advice needed

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Hello everyone its been a while since I've been on the forum.
I need some advise.
My caravan is in for a service and they have found damp in the back corner.
The problem is since we bought the caravan in 2006 they have found damp at the back end every year its been for a service which they have repaired under warranty. The last 3 years the damp has been in the same corner.
A couple of years ago a wagon hit the back with its mirror while I was stopped on the hard shoulder with a puncture, this was repaired by my insurance company. last year the damp in that corner was repaired free because they had repaired the damage but there was still damp there.
This year they are saying the warranty people might refuse to pay for the repair again as there has already been a claim made for that area.
Pending the insurance companys decision the dealer has given me a price to trade in the caravan against another new or used model.
Unfortunately we cant afford to buy another caravan this year.
So where do I stand with the situation of the damp being there year after year when it's supposed to have been repaired if the insurance turns down the claim ?
Can I contact them and say I'm not satisfied with the repairs as they haven't stopped the damp.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Will

I'm sorry to read of you continuing difficulty with water ingress.

The persistence and re-occurrence of the problem clearly shows the repairs that have been carried out are unsatisfactory.

You have statutory rights even on warranty and guarantee repairs.

Talk to Consumer Direct about the exact circumstances, They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I am not sure if you could invoke the Sale of Goods Act as payment was made by the insurance company for the repair to be done, but obviously the job was not done correctly. I would also be looking for a new dealer as thuis one seems to be very keen to get you to part with yoru ahrd earned cash.
Best is to contact the insurance company and put pressure on them to get the dealer to do a full and proper repair or you wanting it taking back to the manufacturer. Also state that as it seems the dealer cannot do an effective repair, you want the insurance company to replace the caravan and if they don't you are going toi escalate it to the Financial Ombudsman. That should get their attention! You can apply the same sort of pressure to the finance company if the caravan is on finance stating it is no longer fit for purpose.

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
We have had the damp problem since we had the first service after we bought it.
The accident happened 3 years ago which just happened to be on the same side as the problem.
The dealer admitted to me that they a puzzled at where the water is getting in.
The damp reading is 40 all down that corner

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
will said:
Thanks for the replies.
We have had the damp problem since we had the first service after we bought it.
The accident happened 3 years ago which just happened to be on the same side as the problem.
The dealer admitted to me that they a puzzled at where the water is getting in.
The damp reading is 40 all down that corner

If they do not know where the water is getting in, how can they fix the leak? After at least 3 attempts to fix this leak you need to get someone else to look at it. If it is still under warranty, I would suggest contacting the manufacturer and asking for their help.

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I had problems the same as yourself, repaired by 2 different dealers 3rd time I had the joint that fixes the roof to the back panel resealed that did the trick.

Only problem was the first company replaced the inside panel in the shower compartment with a plastic, this stopped the drying process behind it. Now 11 years on I have had to have it all repaired the frame work just rotted away in that area.

Trevor

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again will,
Some good points have been made, and what is very clear is the case is not straight forward as there are multiple intersts in the matter.

Whilst much or the advice I think has been good, it is a complex set of circumstances, and if you wish to pursue it further the only sensible thing to do is to seek profesional legal advice about what is your best course of action.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts