Advice on first caravan sought plese

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi, looking at getting my first ever caravan. Would like the biggest possible 2 berth as I'm a space lover so struggling with caravan size concept!! Definitely want an end bathroom with decent separate shower but happy to make up bed as required. Any recommendations or advice on what brand/van I should be looking for would be much appreciated, Thanks.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Sian Ryan. Welcome to the forum. Any reason why you are going for a two berth? You could get an end washroom 4 berth for similar sorts of money and it would give you more space.
Mel

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
It was 3-4 berths I started looking At but having never towed before wasn't sure if something a little smaller would be a better place to start! Does anyone let you have a go at towing a van prior to buying one so I could see the difference do you know?

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
When buying, bear in mind that if you want to travel abroad, size does matter. The fare price increases with every extra metre. My own van is a two berth with an end bathroom which comes in at 6.4mtrs shipping length.

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
Is there a max length (car and van) up to which you don't get charged extra? Will probably be used most in the uk for attending dog events but nice to know if there is a length to stay within for future overseas travel!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
DFDS, quote caravans upto 5 meters or 8 meters, Maybe The Euro tunnel charges by the meter, I always go via Dunkirk as its the cheapest for myself.
Hutch.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
EH52ARH said:
, Maybe The Euro tunnel charges by the meter, .

I used to travel via the Tunnel and as far as I remember you were just charged "for a caravan". Now I mainly travel on Brittany Ferries and the standard charge is for a car up to 5mtrs. The next bracket is for 6mtrs. The caravans are charged up to 6mtrs, the next bracket is up to 7mtrs and so on.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sian Ryan, welcome to the Practical Caravan website and forum.
I'm not sure if your first caravan will be new or pre-loved, sometimes it's better not to make a massive financial investment until you're sure that touring caravan ownership is definitely for you.
Personally speaking my advice would be to choose a 4 berth caravan, preferably with a fixed bed but a lot depends on how much money you want to spend on that first caravan.
Whatever your budget may be, Click Here to browse the caravan buyers guide which will point out the most obvious points to look for when buying a caravan, the rectangular buttons on the left are clickable.
To find out what your driving licence will allow you to tow Click Here

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would be inclined to follow Parksy's advice and not worry too much about the largest space. Caravan manufacturers are very good at using every last inch but what I would say is visit a few dealers in your area and look round what they have got and see what suits you. Like most things in life personal taste means we all like very different things.
For a two berth though there are basically two normal layouts. You will get a lounge at the front which doubles as the bed and you then get either the kitchen across the back with the toilet in the corner or the toilet across the back and the kitchen to one side. The first is generally found on smaller caravans as it makes better use of the space but the toilet compartment tends to be small. The second gives a better toilet compartment which should also double as a changing area.
I would check how easy the bed is to make up though before buying as some are easier than others.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Raywood said:
I would be inclined to follow Parksy's advice and not worry too much about the largest space. Caravan manufacturers are very good at using every last inch but what I would say is visit a few dealers in your area and look round what they have got and see what suits you. Like most things in life personal taste means we all like very different things.
For a two berth though there are basically two normal layouts. You will get a lounge at the front which doubles as the bed and you then get either the kitchen across the back with the toilet in the corner or the toilet across the back and the kitchen to one side. The first is generally found on smaller caravans as it makes better use of the space but the toilet compartment tends to be small. The second gives a better toilet compartment which should also double as a changing area.
I would check how easy the bed is to make up though before buying as some are easier than others.

If you go for the 2 berth check that the 2 lounge 'benches' are long enough to use as 2 single beds at night rather than converting into a double. This means that one person doesn't have to climb across the other to get out of bed each time. ;) The novelty of clambering soon wears off.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Sound advice you've had there, Sianryan, but if I can throw my hat in the ring, I'd look for a private sale, ideally an elderly couple retiring from caravanning. This way you'd probably get a better price than from a dealer, but the downside would be no warranty. The upside however, would be that you'd probably get all the kit that you'll find you need to make any van your own. Crockery, kitchenware, awning, hook-up leads, water carriers etc can add up to a couple of thousand pounds if you have to buy later, which you will if you buy from a dealer.
Also Parksy's advice about cash outlay is sound. If you spend £20k at a dealer and find you don't like the life, then that same dealer is only going to give £10/12k to buy back.
Personally, I'd look to be spending only a couple of thousand first, test the water, then part exchange for a better one after your first season.
I've been caravanning for almost 50 years, and have never spent more than £2.5k on any van yet, but boy have I had some fun!
Good luck, and whatever you buy, enjoy it.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sianryan, just another thought, when we bought our first caravan, the dealer was giving into the deal a new "Full size awning" worth over £700, used it once, not what we needed, eventually after 7 years sold it for £50 to get shed space. As we use porch awnings. So if they you offer one negotiate a discount and by one from E say. After you realise what you need. , but enjoy.
Hutch.

May 21, 2016
Visit site
Dont restrict the size of caravan as to whether it will be dearer to cross the channel or otherwise you must get a van that you are happy with. As has been previously stated by other there are plenty of 4 berth vans which would give you much more space inside.

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi. When changing caravans I have always avoided a 'van with the entrance door forward of the wheels. You usually get rather short bench seats at the front---not long enough for an afternoon nap---and in cold windy weather one hell of a cold blast enters the 'van (living area) when the door is opened which drops the inside temperature somewhat. I am not alone regarding my opinion of the door ahead of the axle.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi Sianryan

Before we bought our first caravan last year I was nervous about towing it and wanted a small 2-berth as I thought it would be easier. But because my wife was also involved in choosing it that isn't what we got. We bought a 6.5-metre, end washroom 4-berth but in all honesty I don't really notice the extra length when towing it. Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy :)

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Have you looked at the Freedom Caravans, this is what we're getting

there is a nice little 3 berth with toilet and shower Think it's called the Jetsream but we were really impressed with them, I'm the same, i'm scared to tow something bigger so am starting small

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you want to practice some towing, find someone who does training for trailer towing, and explain you would like a few hours. So long as your car has a towbar and electrics they should let you use your own car (often at a lower price)
A few years ago my wife had to start towing due to an eye problem I had and we did just this. She had 3 hours and asked particularly for practice on roundabouts (being American, she was not too familiar with them)
Worked well and now i have to insist on getting my share behind the wheel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
SamandRose said:
... but in all honesty I don't really notice the extra length when towing it.

Hi in all honesty the length of caravan makes virtuality no difference whilst moving forward, that's not to say you can ignore it, but it's the width that you have to be most aware of. Think like your driving a bus, with the space it needs, its size and performance.

The length plays more of a part when reversing. The shorter a trailer the more sensetive it is to the use of the steering wheel, and it will more quickly go off line compared to a longer trailer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What no one has mentioned is the ability of the caravan to take a payload. Around 2012 the definition of payload changed (in my opinion not for the better), so if you are buying used make sure that you understand how payload is calculated. Pre to 2012 the two weights of interest were the ex works weight which basically defined the van as it left the makers, the later definition allows the makers to include an allowance for some items in the definition of Mass In Running Order, which is higher than ex works. See the CC and C&CC sites for the definitions. Going back to basics I like a payload of 250kg based on ex works weight. The one thing you should not do is exceed the MTPLM Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass. You would be surprised how much weight your ordinary kit takes out of the payload. Examples being motor mover 32-38kg, battery 20-25kg, aquaroll/pump 5kg, levels/chocks/griptracks 6kg etc and where do the food, kids, and dogs things go? Oh and don't forget the awning, groundsheet, pegs etc.

Admittedly not all of my payload will go into the caravan as i try to keep the van as light as possible. But one reason that you now see more caravaners using roof boxes is that their vans don't have sufficient payload. I see this as retrograde as having a roof box can sometimes prevent entry into some nice car parks where the owners don't want motorhomes.

Some companies will let you upgrade the MTPLM if the caravan chassis/axle has sufficient margin, but this may also need you to upgrade the tyres too. Company upgrades are paper exercises and cost around £60 Bailey will size upgrades to any of their caravans that have the chassis capacity irrespective of age. the Orion 430/4 cannot be upgraded as its MTPLM is within 3kg of the chassis design, but Pursuit 430/4 can have an upgrade to 1300MTPLM (nearly 70kg). But recently I was looking at an Eldiss van and contacted Eldiss about an upgrade, but as it was just over 2 years old they don't offer an upgrade. Recently I have ben told by salesmen that the battery is included in the MRO, a mover won't affect your payload as its very close to the axle, and most makers offer a payload upgrade service. Some will even try and convince you that your car can tow more than is ideal. I use the Dutch matching site which is superior to the UK ones which tend to be very coarse. You can tune the Dutch matching site even if the car and caravan aren't exactly as described in the lists. And it looks at hills starts, stability , driving in mountains, M-ways. It takes account of a particular engines torque, power, rev characteristics, and you can shift load between car and van to see the effects. It's in English too. However the results need to be considered carefully against your own knowledge and experience, and by talking to other caravanners.. Like all things caravanning its not like buying and driving car, you cannot test drive the chosen outfit. The site is "towing.info". For these reasons I would strongly advise that you sign up to one of the CC/CC&C courses that includes far more than just towing.

Some continental caravans (even diddy Eribas, Freedoms and Triganos) have very good payloads as their upgrades may have been installed in the works and involve higher rated chassis and axles. The new Caravelair Antares 455 in France have range of MTPLM from 1200-1500kg. whereas the UK importer is offering a free upgrade from 1200kg to 1300kg.

Good hunting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts