Advice please

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Barter barter barter ,works a treat !! :p

What goods or services do you offer in return for a caravan. Barter is a cashless transaction. Second thoughts don’t incriminate yourself !!!!!

Ty

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
Bartering is the wife's expertise, shes needs to be raiding her little piggy bank as well.
not sure what you mean Clive dont incriminate yourself !!!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ty said:
Bartering is the wife's expertise, shes needs to be raiding her little piggy bank as well.
not sure what you mean Clive dont incriminate yourself !!!!!

Well since bartering is a cashless transaction. Any goods or services exchanged should be “legal” :whistle:

Ty

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
Hi All.
Last question for now but i think its an important one the buccaneer barracuda has a max noise weight of 150kg
My cars noise weight is only 100kg has any one got a twin wheel buccaneer looking to find out what the average noise weight is i understand that this depends on loading and tow ball height ect but would like to find out if a 100kg is achievable , we called to a dealership and asked what the un laden noise weight was
The gent was really helpfull but we hit a bit lost during our conversation the gent was going to get a noise weight gauge he hooked my car up to the Barracuda and all looked well but obviously this didn't tell us the noise weight which was the original question was .
I am going to call him in the morning but just thought i would ask

Thanks
Ty

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some manufactures may quote an exworks noseload figure, but frankly its meaningless because when the dealer gets the caravan they will start to put all the cushions and other bits and pieces in place and that will change the nose load.

It may not be obvious, but when you hitch it to the tow vehicle, depending on how high the hitch is will also make a difference to the actual nose load applied to the tow ball, which its why its important that when you measure nose load the measurement device should support the hitch at the same height as when its coupled to the car.

Twin axles are even more sensitive to hitch height.

I have towed many caravans with many different vehicles ( part of one of my previous jobs) and we always measured nose load before coupling. I have never found a caravan that couldn't have its nose load brought into range for the tow vehicle by careful loading or the use of water containers strategically located and secured to ballast the caravan.

Ty

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
Thanks Prof ,
We think we are going to go for the buccaneer plenty of careful loading and as stated earlier we will load the car with the heavier items , for the intrem just load the van with the essentials
We have never owned a twin wheel which is why im panicking slightly about the noise weight as i need to keep the weight in the caravan down but need to achieve a noise weight of no more than 100kg

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Just one point... If the "quoted" nose weight of the van is 150 kg, then that is the situation for an optimum tow of that caravan... If your car will only take 100kg load on the towbar, then the reduced nose weight is likely to mean (IMHO) that the handling of the outfit as a whole will deteriorate because the Centre of Gravity of the caravan will have moved backwards...

Ty

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
Hi Guzzilazz

The 150kg is the units max it states between 100kg and 150kg ,i spoke to the dealer today he has sent me a picture of the noise weight gauge at a 100kg with all the new items stored at the front of the unit ready to be put under the bed and go on the forecourts

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
Just one point... If the "quoted" nose weight of the van is 150 kg, then that is the situation for an optimum tow of that caravan... If your car will only take 100kg load on the towbar, then the reduced nose weight is likely to mean (IMHO) that the handling of the outfit as a whole will deteriorate because the Centre of Gravity of the caravan will have moved backwards...

I'm sorry but this is simply not true.

The hitches nose load capacity (S value) is a maximum load it can sustain and work correctly without premature failure. It is not the optimum nose load value for the trailer.

Each outfit has so many variable its not possible to suggest an optimum value that will guarantee a good and safe tow.

All the caravan manufacture can tell you is the maximum nose load limit for the hitch, in the same way that a caravan's MTPLM is a limit not a target.

Ty

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for all tbe reply's ,the wife has told me she is taking me out next sunday just found out we are going to the NEC not sure the buccaneer has been put to bed just yet.

Just an update the wife won (as usual) we took delivery of the buccaneer barracuda on Thursday couple of minor snags but other wise all good both really happy with the van
Was a struggle to get the noise weight there are there abouts
4x4 comes in 4 to 6 weeks

Thanks for all previous comments and advice

Ty

Ty

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
Thanks Jezzer , we really enjoyed this weekend away to be honest love the van so does the wife gutted they have closed all the sites today though every one at clumber park maintained the social distancing as far a possibility

Its taking a bit of getting used to the auto leveling but think i have got it

Thanks
Ty

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes we're still learning! Bit of a leap of faith to prop one side up and take the handbrake off to put the locks on though! We just back from Sutton on sea. Empty beaches but that's it for now! Glad we got a weekend away in as we still working next week. Keep safe.

Ty

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
Yes we're still learning! Bit of a leap of faith to prop one side up and take the handbrake off to put the locks on though! We just back from Sutton on sea. Empty beaches but that's it for now! Glad we got a weekend away in as we still working next week. Keep safe.

Lisa is a child minder shes now house bound (cleaning time lol) im working from home, 3 out of the 5 days we are looking for some were remote to site the van for a bit from next weekend not sure we will find anywhere though

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
looking for some were remote to site the van for a bit from next weekend not sure we will find anywhere though

WHY?????????????
Sorry, it completely baffles me why you are ignoring the advice NOT to undertake unnesesary travel??????
I have to ask what part of Stay At Home you don't understand?

Reactions: Dustydog and Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Lisa is a child minder shes now house bound (cleaning time lol) im working from home, 3 out of the 5 days we are looking for some were remote to site the van for a bit from next weekend not sure we will find anywhere though

It’s an attitude like yours that will inevitably lead to HMG having to introduce further restrictions on life.
Dont you understand the concept of social responsibility. At least do me the favour of a cessation in publishing your I’ll-considered plan. My daughter works for the NHS doing shifts, being a single parent etc. and no doubt will be at some stage expected to deal with people like you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog and Parksy

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The Prime Minister has asked people to use their common sense and to socially distance ourselves from each other. If his request continues to be ignored the government will make social distancing compulsory.
Why would anybody go away in their caravan at this time?
Very irresponsible and selfish.
Heath workers including my daughter in law who is a nurse are risking their lives to try to limit the death toll from Covid 19.
People who decide that it's ok to go away to other areas when they don't have to are potentially putting more strain on the NHS and are betraying heath service workers.
Leave the caravan alone until this crisis is over.

Ty

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
Appolagies if i have offended but my son is still working as a contractor coming and going from.the house

myself and lisa looked at self isolating in the caravan leaving the house for our son and his partner as they are still required to work on site ie not from home

We are not looking for a holiday nor a weekend away just the opposite to be honest but don't get me wrong we enjoy the caravan and the relative isolation.

We have already isolated our selfs from our grandchildren and potentially from our children to try and aid the social distancing

Reactions: JezzerB

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As all the clubs have shut all sites including CL's and CS's and just about everywhere is shutting down I think it tells you a story.

Your situation is no different to many others but to ignore the strong advice to stay at home is irresponsible.

The Government are seriously considering a mandatory lock down if people do not do as they have been
advised to.

As long as your Son and partner take the advice about hygiene and are well, there is no problem.

If your van is on the drive , leave it there even if you use it, DONT go elsewhere.
The questions you have to answer are:
Is your trip an emergency? Answer NO
Is your trip a matter of life or death? Answer NO
Do You take any notice of current advice? Answer,,,,,,,,,,It seems not.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Appolagies if i have offended but my son is still working as a contractor coming and going from.the house

myself and lisa looked at self isolating in the caravan leaving the house for our son and his partner as they are still required to work on site ie not from home

We are not looking for a holiday nor a weekend away just the opposite to be honest but don't get me wrong we enjoy the caravan and the relative isolation.

We have already isolated our selfs from our grandchildren and potentially from our children to try and aid the social distancing

Not offended but extremely disappointed that someone can seemingly ignore HMG advice and is so unaware of what is happening in other countries, or just doesn’t believe that it will happen here too. The sight of Russian heavy medical brigade arriving in Italy plus 3500 Chinese medics too might give a clue that this thing can get serious.

Ty

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
I totally agree and do.understand ,but by isolating our selfs who can actually work from home / caravan leaving the people who actually have to go out to work to keep there heads above water as they cannot work from home surely is a benefit for the economy and themself until the government give the self employed aid

They are keeping up with relivant hygiene but as above the come into contact with numerous contractors on a daly basis

We are not trying to be difficult where just trying to do what we thought was best

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Reading back through this thread, it's understandable that you're excited about the new caravan Ty, and this social isolation has denied you the chance to use your new caravan.
The reaction on this forum to your post about going away in the caravan has probably taken the shine off your excitement, but if your son has to be out mixing with others surely that's all the more reason for you to keep away from everyone else?
No matter how remote a location you find, you could potentially spread the virus to another area.
You have to pay the site fee, you'll need fuel and food so dealing with other people would be inevitable.
Your new caravan will still be there when Covid 19 is gone, make sure you are and don't take a chance on infecting others.

Ty

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
Parksy

I would not put a the excitement of a new van before others

We were just looking at separating our selfs who can work from home from our son who can not, dont get me wrong the peice and quite would be nice , but it was also about the isolation of lisa as we can not expect or son to move out.

I think this has dragged out enough
And a few people have made there point which has been taken on board

Again i appolagies if i have offended but as you a say this is about minimizing risk to the individual as well as the NHS

We fully support all who are risking there lifes and health working for the NHS and supporting body's

Again this was meant more for myself and lisa leaving the kids in the house so lisa was out of the way

Ps kids are in there 20's

Thanks
Ty

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts