Age of fire extinguisher

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
After doing a web search about fire extinguishers age V replacement reason being that the old one that has been replaced but still has the arrow on the dial well into the green, so no pressure has been lost, the extinguisher has a manufacturing date but no expiry date....

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
In the Aircraft industry, the hand held extinguishers have gauges, but are weighed every year, and recertified, when I retired two years ago I believe the life was 6 years, and then scrapped. I check the van ones, (2) Co2, every trip to make sure they haven't leaked, by hand and feel the weight and feel the liquid Co2. The outside one on the tow hitch, a 2kg dry powder, has a gauge and a god shake to make sure powder doesn't settle, change them every 5 years.
DO NOT, Squirt them to see if they work,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I iagree that extinguishers with pressure gauges should be ok so long as pressure is in the green.
While in no way wanting to decry the idea of carring an extinguisher, I feel a fire blanket would be a better bet for 'domestic' type fire inside a caravan rather than powder or wet extinguisher.

I ave carried fire extinguishers in every car I've has since 1961 until the present day, in earlier years averaging around 25000 miles a year and have only once used the extinguisher.
This was to quench a fire in an original VW Beetle when the lady owner, fearing a frosty night, had put a blanket over the ( air cooled) rear engine and forgotten to remove it before driving off.

So the risk is low but should not be ignored.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Well this is the new type FP 50's, i bought them ( two ) at the NEC last October, I have fitted one this afternoon and was wondering what to do with the old one ...
https://youtu.be/MtwaPtgIxx4

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Take the old ones to your local fire station, or failing that the police station and tell them you found them in a laybye, they are obliged to take them, , do not say they were yours.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
They sound good, I think that its about time cars had original Eqipment fire extinguisers, fitted to engine compartments. And also to Caravans. Why not we use Lpg. !

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Years ago it was mandatory on Caravan Club sites to keep a red bucket full of water next to the tow hitch.
Hopefully we all carry an extinguisher. If a fire does start get out ASAP and then if you feel safe and competent use your extinguisher.
Caravans burn very quickly and don't forget the gas bottles could explode.
Probably best to move away. Caravans are easily replaced , flesh isn't.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Years ago it was mandatory on Caravan Club sites to keep a red bucket full of water next to the tow hitch.
Hopefully we all carry an extinguisher. If a fire does start get out ASAP and then if you feel safe and competent use your extinguisher.
Caravans burn very quickly and don't forget the gas bottles could explode.
Probably best to move away. Caravans are easily replaced , flesh isn't.

Good advice.

All gas bottles should be secured upright at all times including stored transported and used. No gas bottle should be exposed to the heat from a fire, as some might have a tendency to explode. But Calor and other UK designed and approved cylinders should have a safety pressure valve built into the control valve mechanism which should vent excess pressure. Now that will be gas high pressure gas vapour that vents which will mix with air and burn quite spectacularly. Unsecured bottles can fall over and then they will vent high pressure Liquefied gas which can make a cylinder become an uncontrolled projectile, which not only is a heavy and dangerous by way of its weight, but also it will spread its content which as an evaporating liquid can cause frost bite, and when it has expanded and mixed with air will also spread the fire.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
During my younger days as an aircraft engineer, we were told thet we had to send back the Engine fire extinguisers after replacment, because it was cheaper to send them back for testing empty, we were to fire them off, so outside the hanger we clamped them to a vice on a 6ft bench, the Greenie attached the wires an we fired the 5kg bottle, the bottle went off and so did the bench about 12 feet into the air in a spin. Engineers diving for cover, NEVERunder estimate the power of gas, the cylinder was charged to 3500, psi. 10 seconds to discharge, through a 1 inch port. A smell of CO2, and Human Methane

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Take the old ones to your local fire station, or failing that the police station and tell them you found them in a laybye, they are obliged to take them, , do not say they were yours.

Don't take the old ones to the fire station or Police station as they are not obliged to take them off you. Old units should be taken to your local household refuse site/recycling centre where they will be correctly disposed of along with all those unwanted LPG cylinders.

There is no specific life span for an extinguisher. If the unit is a sealed, stored pressure type which are for use in vehicles/kitchens/caravans etc, once the pressure gauge shows a loss, it's time to replace.
Some, but not all larger units (9 litre liquid, 5 to 9 kg powder) for commercial use can be taken apart for inspection and then re-pressurised, but only by competent persons, normally on an annual or bi-annual basis.
Carbon dioxide extinguishers will require a 5 year discharge test, again by competent persons.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Dustydog said:

I still do, even on a CL the fact that you have a bucket of water outside the van can draw you away from the seat of the fire, unless it's in the gas locker then get away.
Had a new powder extinguisher as a birthday present and there is no expiry marked on it, so I have weighed it, marked it, and will weigh it again next service, that with the correct pressure. I'm sure it's OK. And a good shake as well.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We still have a bucket of water, marked Fire as well as the dry Powder 2 kg, at the front of the van, it doubles as a drinking bucket for the dogs.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
We still have a bucket of water, marked Fire as well as the dry Powder 2 kg, at the front of the van, it doubles as a drinking bucket for the dogs.

Now I know why they **** their leg when there's a fire :p

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It's strange we used to put down water bowls for the hounds but Rex would never use them, then one time in France we noticed he drank from a friends Fire bucket, we never had one always a frie extinguisher, being modern, so tried it, Bucket down And he drinks from it. Sorts out two things, Fire bucket, Dogs drinking bucket. Wait until you see our little one lift his leg, Horizontal. Don't know where he stores it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts