Air conditioner - first time to Spain

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

We have booked to go to Spain (Camping L'Amfora, Catalonia) for three weeks in July in our caravan. We have been told it is very hot, and we might need to buy an air conditioner for our van. As this seems to cost about £2,000, and needs a generator too, we would like to hear from anyone who has been there, and get your opinions?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've been in temperatures of 38 or 40 degrees in Spain and in France - which is probably about the maximum you'll experience, and never had air conditioning. We run our 'blown-air' on cold and it circulates a draught at least. If you don't have blown air, then a fan will do the trick just as well. We leave all the rooflights completely open at night, as well as some windows.

When it's so hot we don't even put our awning up - but just live outside, making sure our fridge and any other electrical equipment are protected against rain, under tables with long waterproof covers, for instance. The heat will only bother you at night, and it cools down then anyway.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lois,

Having been camping to the Costa Brava 3 times now I would say you do not need to buy an air conditioner as it's not unbearably hot. I would however take a gazebo with you as usually the pitches are huge and most people have a gazebo set up in front of the awning. The awning does tend to get extremely hot during the day and the gazebo allows you to get some breeze while being shaded from the sun.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lois.

Check out

www.koolcamping.co.uk

They do a great air con unit that fits either side of any caravan window.

Only uses 800 Watts (thats about 4 Amps). It runs quietly and is very efficient. The unit only needs to be carried when you need it so saves on unwanted weight.

We used ours 24/7 when in Spain last year and found it a great investment at 540 quid.

Really recommended and NO I have no commercial interest in the company but I believe in recommending good bits of kit.

Brum

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lois

Air Conditioning is very nice if you are working in hot countries or traveling in an otherwise unbearably hot car, but it seems a great pity to shut yourself away inside a caravan when on holiday in nice weather. We have been caravaning in hot countries - Spain, Portugal, Italy, Yugoslavia - for many years and the secret is to find some shade. Many sites are under palm trees or in pine forests and these are not unbearably hot, especially when by the sea where there is usually some breeze. As Val says, you mainly live outside, where it is perfect for all meals and relaxing. It can be a bit uncomfortable at night but sleep on top of the covers with the roof vents open and you will be fine.

Have a great time

Keith

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lois,

We are regular visitors to the El Delfin Verde site which is in the same area where you are going to. We find we do not need AC and only use desk fans, one each end of the van and as Val said the "blown air on cold". I think if you intend to caravan abroad regularly a good investment would be a decent quality sun canopy for sitting in the shade. Most of the our days and evenings are spent outside and we think a good sun canopy is money well spent when vanning abroad.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lois.

Check out

www.koolcamping.co.uk

They do a great air con unit that fits either side of any caravan window.

Only uses 800 Watts (thats about 4 Amps). It runs quietly and is very efficient. The unit only needs to be carried when you need it so saves on unwanted weight.

We used ours 24/7 when in Spain last year and found it a great investment at 540 quid.

Really recommended and NO I have no commercial interest in the company but I believe in recommending good bits of kit.

Brum
Sorry. Gave the wrong figures.

The unit draws 410 Watts which is about 2 Amps.

Brum

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Two questions to those who claim air con to be un-necessary.

1.. Have you gone into your caravan and noticed how hot and stuffy it was inside?

2.. Have you not been able to sleep at night because it was to hot and sweaty?

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Brum,

You asked me a question a few weeks ago about B.L. club I answered you in the rally section, still awaiting your reply.

I can meet up with you if you want.

I know you are local to me so let me know if you are interested & want to meet up.

Graham

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

We were at L'Amfora last July, year before we went to Les Medes which is just down the coast a bit. We don't have an air conditioner and got by fine with desk top fans. Our awning has zip out panels which is also helpful, just use it as a sun shade in hot weather.

I have no personal experience of air conditioners but have read of complaints of the noise they make especially in the quiet of night.

Hope you enjoy L'Amfora, decent sized pitches and very clean site.

Robert

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Thank you to all of you who have so kindly offered us advice - that is really helpful, as we are new to caravanning, and the trip to Spain is our first abroad. This forum is a fantastic way to get advice and tips - thanks to everyone, much appreciated.

Best wishes

Lois

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
1. Yes, but spend very little time inside. Maybe about 20 minutes in every 24 hours (excluding sleeping time, but see below).

2. No - have always been able to sleep. No covers, partner that you enjoy cuddling up to, and covers off, vents open, and enjoy it - there's a through draft, and it can actually be lovely and cool in the comfort of your own bed.

3. It would take a lot of not sleeping nights to convince me that I need air conditioning. I go to France and Spain because it's hot - and I like it it hot. If you want cool then go to Scotland, or Iceland, or somewhere up North!

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
1. Yes, but spend very little time inside. Maybe about 20 minutes in every 24 hours (excluding sleeping time, but see below).

2. No - have always been able to sleep. No covers, partner that you enjoy cuddling up to, and covers off, vents open, and enjoy it - there's a through draft, and it can actually be lovely and cool in the comfort of your own bed.

3. It would take a lot of not sleeping nights to convince me that I need air conditioning. I go to France and Spain because it's hot - and I like it it hot. If you want cool then go to Scotland, or Iceland, or somewhere up North!
OUCH

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I'm with you on this one Val - AC is for wimps and wusses.

Dec 19, 2006
Visit site

That sounds a bit sharp Grimbo.

SD

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Salad dodger

As I said earlier, in a hot country air conditioning in a car is very nice, infact to drive long distances without it is very uncomfortable, almost unbearable.

In the days before AC we used to travel by night, leaving Spain after dinner, at about 9pm to avoid the heat.

....but in a caravan parked under the palm trees I don't think AC is necessary. I would avoid unshaded sites however.

Keith

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
We also spend quite a lot of time in Spain although the idea of air con is attractive I cant honestly say it would be worth the weight cost and noise. Desktop fans awning and a bit of shade if you can get it should do.

Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts