alde circulation pump may be on its way out?

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Lately the Alde circulation pump on my Buccaneer Clipper is getting louder (rumbling sound) and sometimes it sticks. A new one is going to cost between £85 to £105. Is there anyway that this could be fixed? There seems no way to get into the motor. Could it be that the bearings are on the way out? Any advice would be most thankful. Ta Pete

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Are you sure it's the motor itself and not something restricting its operation? I ask because when our van was new, the pump make quite a racket (as you describe). I was told that on occasions, some of the extra plastic in the header tank wasn't cleaned off as well as it should be before the two halves are put together, and the pumps impeller catches it as it spins (if that makes sense).
I removed the pump, and then noticed that there was something in the well where the impeller sits. I fished it out and found that it was a piece of rubber tubing, approx 1 cm long, which I can only assume was dropped in when the caravan was being built. It's been nice and quiet since.
Nigel.

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys, I have had a look inside the holding tank and it was clear. I placed some foam behind the tank and retightened the three screws that hold the tank onto the wall (two of them were not screwed to the wall) and this has made a remarkable diffence to the sound. I have bitten the bullet and sent for a new motor as sometimes this one it gets stuck and wont switch on. I have to take the motor out and spin the blades for it to start. Ive put a meter across the terminals and there is no problem at the plug end. I also found that the rubber gaiters on the pump spindle tend to bow a bit after a couple of years use thus letting the pump sit lower in the tank than it was intended to. This will contribute to some noise. I will give an update when the pump arrives. (placed an order with a company who said they had one in stock, paid for it and checked today on their delivery update and only to find that it will take about 12 days for me to receive it.......I think that they have had to send to Alde for it. Naughty, naughty) Pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've asked Alde about pumps. This is what they said;

Since the Alde circulation pumps only run when the ambient temperature is below the desired temperature, how long they run varies from one installation to the next (bearing in mind insulation), and from place to place, season to season, etc.

For this reason we cannot predict how long your pump will last.

The 2928-420 12 V pump has a Premotec motor and is designed more for casual, holiday use, and is our lightest duty pump, but also the least expensive.

The 3010-508 12 V inline pump has a Xylem motor and is designed all year round holiday use and also has variable speed.

The 2750-405 230 V inline pump has a Vortex motor and is designed for near constant use, although it does require 230 V power. The 2928-420 12 V pump is then fitted in the expansion tank, and the system automatically switches between the two.

I am a little surprised that they will not give some idea of expected running hours; some makers of water pumps will do so. Iguess that all systems fitted to new vans will have the cheaper pump ?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Ray S said:
. Iguess that all systems fitted to new vans will have the cheaper pump ?
They did not do so in our Hymer and I thought Bailey also went for the more expensive in-line adjustable speed pump?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
You are correct JTQ.
The Bailey unicorn 2011 model has the more expensive in line pump, variable speed, cost around £80.
Some makes have the cheaper header tank pump, i always thought it looked toy town, but owners assured me it was ok.
reading the OP post i'm now happy that i have the more durable one.

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I put the new pump in and no problem now. I think its bad form of Alde to put in a light use motor into a system that they say is the best for all year use. So it looks like a new pump every two years then at just under £100 a shot a tad expensive i think. Pete

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I think I would be more critical of the caravan manufacturer than of Alde for specifying a pump that is not up to all year round caravanning. I probably get more use out of my Alde system than most as I caravan extensively during the winter months and the pump does get used a lot but despite it being the dinky one in the header tank it is still as quiet as when new but I am waiting for the day it fails. When it does it is going to be the 240V pump that is going in that will do the majority of the work but really the caravan manufacturers should be installing these more powerful pumps as standard for caravans built to be used all year round.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts