Alde heating problems

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I would like to know if anyone has had trouble with the Alde Heating in their caravan.
We bought a Bailey Unicorn II Valencia in February .We had the usual walk around the van and shown how everything works. When we got the caravan home I hooked it up to have a play. There was no power getting to the Alde heating system(plug symbol on consol).I got the hand book out and it showed a fused switch spur,this wasn't fitted only a switch.I looked everywhere and rang the dealers service department.I had to book the caravan in and take it back the next weekend.The dealer changed the switch to the fused switch that is shown in the handbook.
We haven't used the heating all summer until last weekend (15th November) All was well on the first night ,themn on the Saturday my wife tole me the water was only just warm.I checked the consul and again no power was showing to the Alde heating,I got a screw driver thinking the fuse might have blown. I couldn't get the fuse out. I again rang the service center and was told it sounded like the fuse had melted. I was concerned about this as fuses shouldn't melt. I have now got the caravan booked in again and the dealer is going to investigate .
I ran the heating on the gas the second day/night and all was ok but running on gas costs me espicially when already paid for electric hook up

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Your issue seems only to be related to the mains supply provision to the Alde not the heating system itself.
We have had the 3010 Compact version for 5 years and are very pleased with it in our Hymer, however unlike Bailey Hymer dont wire it up via a dedicated switch. If the EHU is in then unless the main consumer unit has been tripped the Adle boiler is powered up ready to be set by the units panel. In our case it has the 3 kw heating element option, unlike I understand the 2 kw of some UK builds, and is very effective on electricity.
We do however operate with the gas enabled so when the unit lifts the temperature in the morning both the electrical and gas inputs are available to achieve the set temperature quickly. You are I expect aware the Alde is intellegent to the extent it only takes gas when the heating demand cant be met by the electrical supply? So whilst "on gas", and of course electricity, it does not use very much of the gas in normal ambients.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Not sure of my facts here, but I think that on our Swift you have to switch the ALDE electric heating on at the Sargeant Control Panel and also Switch the Mains on, over the door. I also understand that you can switch the gas on or off on the control panel, but am not aware that the gas will kick in, if needed, without me doing it.
I am sure more knowledgeable than me will soon give you a definitive answer.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The Unicorn's use a 3KW electric element, selectable in 1,2, or 3kw steps.
We rarely use the 3KW but don't caravan in the winter.

I'm not impressed with the quality of the sockets switches ETC, but haven't had any problems, there have been reports of failing switches when the wrong switch has been fitted, ie a 10 amp one.
However a 13amp switched fuse isolator should be ok, maybe one of the connections was loose and melted the switch.
Personally i would fit a 20amp double pole isolator switch with indicator, as the 13amp spur is on the limit with a 3kw load.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I presume after the replaced the switch it did work? Baileys have a separate switch for the electric side of the Alde. to melt a fuse in the holder would be a major concern?
Me personally i would check the swicth out before a return trip for the dealers, if found faulty i would replace myself

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
RAY said:
The Unicorn's use a 3KW electric element, selectable in 1,2, or 3kw steps.
We rarely use the 3KW but don't caravan in the winter.

I'm not impressed with the quality of the sockets switches ETC, but haven't had any problems, there have been reports of failing switches when the wrong switch has been fitted, ie a 10 amp one.
However a 13amp switched fuse isolator should be ok, maybe one of the connections was loose and melted the switch.
Personally i would fit a 20amp double pole isolator switch with indicator, as the 13amp spur is on the limit with a 3kw load.

Good suggestion,I have replaced fused spurs used on 3kw immersion heaters,exactly the same thing

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts