Alko Brakes

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
A report from the last caravan service (caravan's second service - it's two years old) said that the offside brake shoes and drum are badly scored and would be replaced under warranty.
This has now been done but if I understood correctly Alko had changed the material of the brake shoes and this was the cause of the problem.
There has been no recall to sort what I believe to be a problem that covers many caravans.
Has anyone else experienced similar problems.

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
HI Bertieboy
I had a an Eldiss Affinity 462 I had problems with squealing brakes after 12 months and had the drums and shoes taken off and thoroughly cleaned , next trip out problem returned so I had new set of brake shoes fitted and this solved the problem on my particular van

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello Bluerocket,
Our van brakes did squeal but not all the time only sometimes.
We knew nothing about the condition of the brakes only when we got the service report were we made aware.We were also told verbally.
All credit to the dealer he discovered the fault and took the appropriate action.
Brakes don/t squeal at anytime now.
Our brakes were repaired/replaced under warranty.
Don't know if you are in the same circumstances - if you are it might be worth pursuing

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
Hello Bluerocket,
Our van brakes did squeal but not all the time only sometimes.
We knew nothing about the condition of the brakes only when we got the service report were we made aware.We were also told verbally.
All credit to the dealer he discovered the fault and took the appropriate action.
Brakes don/t squeal at anytime now.
Our brakes were repaired/replaced under warranty.
Don't know if you are in the same circumstances - if you are it might be worth pursuing

Bertie Under Forum rules you cannot name and Shame a dealer, but you can Name and commend a dealer. Why not.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone have a caravan with the "New Self Adjusting " ALKO brakes?

Do they still have to be inspected every year on the annual service, . They would only be an advantage on people that tour for maybe 10K Miles a year. .

I am saying this as we have covered over 20 k miles and the drums and Shoes are less than half worn. In 6 years.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Read an article. These are self adjusting so don't need a traditional service and adjustment with wear like the standard ones. However Alko recommended drum removal and cleaning out brake dust yearly.

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Bertieboy1
We had exactly the same problem when our 2018 Coachman went in for its first service a few months ago. Drums and shoes on both sides were scored. Replaced under warranty with no quibble!
Well spotted Wandahome Knottingley.
Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts