ALKO JACKING POINT BRACKET.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
I've used car scissor jack under axle but that was 1000kg caravan. Bottle jack would be easier as pumping it in confined space is easier that turning scissor jack. Best do trial run at home and make sure you have right tool tire brace to undo wheel nuts.
Rubber car mats + caravan porch mat help when lying on ground. Also block of wood to support jack on soft ground.

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
This is what I use for the car, 4 ton bottle jack with a ice hockey puck on top, should do the caravan as well, I hope.

Attachments

• 20240508_104032.jpg
    20240508_104032.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240508_104109.jpg
    20240508_104109.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
This is what I use for the car, 4 ton bottle jack with an ice hockey puck on top, should do the caravan as well, I hope.
Just make sure the bottle jack will go under if the caravan tyre is flat. I bought a low profile bottle jack after realising a standard one wouldn’t fit under if the tyre was flat.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Just make sure the bottle jack will go under if the caravan tyre is flat. I bought a low profile bottle jack after realising a standard one wouldn’t fit under if the tyre was flat.
If the caravan is too low with a flat tyre, run the wheel up a kerb or use your levelling ramp/blocks.

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Just spent about 5 hours wrestling with alko spare wheel carrier. As van is recently new to me thought I'd check it. Well the tubular legs wouldn't extend to drop it down, so ended up removing the whole carrier from underneath the van. After much cursing and tongue out side of mouth and with rubber mallet, managed to extend them. After a buff down with wire cupped brush I coated them in copper grease, now they are easier to extend. Will replace tomorrow as I need to get some split pins. When was the last time you checked yours? Worth doing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just spent about 5 hours wrestling with alko spare wheel carrier. As van is recently new to me thought I'd check it. Well the tubular legs wouldn't extend to drop it down, so ended up removing the whole carrier from underneath the van. After much cursing and tongue out side of mouth and with rubber mallet, managed to extend them. After a buff down with wire cupped brush I coated them in copper grease, now they are easier to extend. Will replace tomorrow as I need to get some split pins. When was the last time you checked yours? Worth doing.
I religiously maintained it by cleaning and lubricating and periodically removed the tyre to check pressure and that its sidewalls were not becoming chafed. But it soon dawned on me that it was a bag of junk, so when preparing for a trip abroad I removed the wheel. I didn’t want to be withdrawing the wheel on its supports into a live traffic stream. So the wheel went into the caravan and never went back on the carrier. After that I would do the same from Day 1 with subsequent caravans. Of course the carriers were removed fir a bit of extra payload.

Reactions: Hutch and Buckman
Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
I religiously maintained it by cleaning and lubricating and periodically removed the tyre to check pressure and that its sidewalls were not becoming chafed. But it soon dawned on me that it was a bag of junk, so when preparing for a trip abroad I removed the wheel. I didn’t want to be withdrawing the wheel on its supports into a live traffic stream. So the wheel went into the caravan and never went back on the carrier. After that I would do the same from Day 1 with subsequent caravans. Of course the carriers were removed fir a bit of extra payload.
Think that is what I will do, carry spare in van, then when pitching just stick it under van.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Think that is what I will do, carry spare in van, then when pitching just stick it under van.
On my last van there was no fixed bed so the spare sat in the doorway which restrained it fore and aft, and the Lafumas restrained sideways movement. On site it went under the caravan secured with a motorcycle chain. With the porch up it couldn’t be seen anyway.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
On my last van there was no fixed bed so the spare sat in the doorway which restrained it fore and aft, and the Lafumas restrained sideways movement. On site it went under the caravan secured with a motorcycle chain. With the porch up it couldn’t be seen anyway.
If there's only 2 people in the car, the caravan spare can sit vertically in the rear footwell, suitably covered to protect the upholstery - removes even more weight from the caravan.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If there's only 2 people in the car, the caravan spare can sit vertically in the rear footwell, suitably covered to protect the upholstery - removes even more weight from the caravan.
Good idea but my rear footwells were always used for other items. But only half the footwell width could be used as being 6 ft 4 inch the front seat was invariably fully back, and even my Superb estate would not have had sufficient room to accommodate the caravan wheel. Then there were the two dogs to accommodate too. But we managed our payload okay within the MTPLM.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Good idea but my rear footwells were always used for other items. But only half the footwell width could be used as being 6 ft 4 inch the front seat was invariably fully back, and even my Superb estate would not have had sufficient room to accommodate the caravan wheel. Then there were the two dogs to accommodate too. But we managed our payload okay within the MTPLM.
I'm surprised that your Superb didn't have enough rear legroom to fit the caravan spare - mine goes behind the front passenger seat, originally in case it needed moving forwards to make enough space, but in the event it goes in with the seat in it's "normal" position of fully back but at highest setting.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised that your Superb didn't have enough rear legroom to fit the caravan spare - mine goes behind the front passenger seat, originally in case it needed moving forwards to make enough space, but in the event it goes in with the seat in it's "normal" position of fully back but at highest setting.
It would not have gone in behind me, and the wider space behind my wife was used for other gear. Different cars such as the XC70 had pitiful rear legroom all round. But notwithstanding we managed and had all the stuff we required to enjoy our trips.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I bought and fitted the heavier rated Alko brackets to my caravan. They are very substantial items and, as has been said, also sit against the underside of the floor to spread the load further. I did try my Alko sudelift jack with them, it all works a treat (but I would ALWAYS ensure tge caravan was hitched to the car first.
My concern with a bottle jack is that there is very little room under tge axle p,ate if the tyre is deflated.

Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
My originals were straight. When one collapsed it became L shaped. Was there another version? Looking at your link I am confident the Purple lines triangular blocks are more substantial. Do you know which part the Jack goes under? Not clear from the pics. Also note Al ko say only use their Jack. Mines still in the loft , absolute rubbish. A three tier hydraulic bottle Jack works for me. Quick , strong and very easy to use. Courtesy of an old Kia Sorento mk1. Did you see the Al-ko price🙉🙉
We bought just the Alko jack off Eb for £50 it was sealed and unused.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts