Alko spare wheel Studs

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
So I have Alloy wheels on my van and the spare is steel.
The studs for said wheels are different!!
The steel ones are shorter.
Having not got a spare set for the steel wheels,collected a set yesterday.

The new ones for the steel wheels are only 4mm shorter
Steel Thread length 24mm
Alloy wheel thread length 28mm.
Is this correct??

The conical head shape is the same.

And why are the alloy ones a 17mm socket and the new steel one's have a 19mm head ??

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I've just checked mine and they are 19mm ,,and a thread length of 24mm

also the torque settings are 85 ft/lbs for alloys and 62 ft/lbs for steel,,my van is 2 years old.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I am always puzzled why they say you should use different studs/bolts on caravans when swapping between between alloy and steel as there are no such instructions on cars. My car has alloy road wheels and a full size steel spare (which I had to use recently) but there are no instructions, nor a spare set of bolts, when swapping between them. Cars can also go at higher speed when not towing. An AL-KO con to sell more items at a high price? :evil:

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
A few years ago I owned a rather beautiful motorcycle trike and decided to fit very wide alloy wheels. The dealer I bought the wheels from sold me a set of bolts to fit and they had built in free spinning washers fitted, to prevent the bolts chewing into the alloy of the wheel if I inadvertently over tightened.
The bolts supplied with my van do not have any washers,,?,,so I make sure I use a torque wrench when fitting and checking.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I suspect that the reason the bolts have different head sizes is to make you aware that you may have mixed them up when fitting the spare wheel, or putting the alloy back. So by having different diameters you would spot a mix up when you progressively tightened them. Strange logic though.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do age that the different heads are there to warn anyone using the wrong nuts. I am not sure how well known the point is as with our caravan came a set of wheel nuts in an unmarked plastic bag and wiyh nothing to say what they were I had no idea they were for the spare until it appeared on the forum. having found that out I have now moved them to the caravan. Given the fact these are a safety related item the bag should be marked and the current system is very bad practice.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
pensioner said:
I've just checked mine and they are 19mm ,,and a thread length of 24mm

also the torque settings are 85 ft/lbs for alloys and 62 ft/lbs for steel,,my van is 2 years old.

Thanks for going to the trouble of checking them for me, so looks as they are pretty standard, cheers Pensioner.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
I am always puzzled why they say you should use different studs/bolts on caravans when swapping between between alloy and steel as there are no such instructions on cars. My car has alloy road wheels and a full size steel spare (which I had to use recently) but there are no instructions, nor a spare set of bolts, when swapping between them. Cars can also go at higher speed when not towing. An AL-KO con to sell more items at a high price? :evil:

Checked my manual/handbook and you are right no mention of it anywhere.

But I did have cause to put the spare on a few weeks ago and the alloy bolts stick out on the inner side, luckily it was just on the drive so didnt have to tow.
Oh and at under a £10.00 for set of five, does give piece of mind.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
otherclive said:
I suspect that the reason the bolts have different head sizes is to make you aware that you may have mixed them up when fitting the spare wheel, or putting the alloy back. So by having different diameters you would spot a mix up when you progressively tightened them. Strange logic though.

Does make sense though, cheers for that.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Now I am concerned.
In 8 years with the Wyoming I've never used the spare which I know is a rusting steel piece.
Bailey never supplied me with different fixings.
Are you saying the existing bolts wont fit the spare???????????? :woohoo:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am the same as you Dusty, think I will try the spare wheel on and make sure all is well, bit disconcerting as we have done about 15,k with the caravan, touring France. Oh well always something new with a caravan.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
My Hymer has different bolts for its road alloys and the steel spare. They are noticeably different in that those for the alloys have conical "countersinks" those for the steel are spherical. They are used at different torque ups as well. All is crystally clearly pictured and explained in the van's handbook. The dealer on handover pointed these out; I store them in the bag with the locking socket.

Seems other makers buy different wheels with different requirements; I understand in recent years Swift have purchased spares with conical seats to use the same bolts.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Now I am concerned.
In 8 years with the Wyoming I've never used the spare which I know is a rusting steel piece.
Bailey never supplied me with different fixings.
Are you saying the existing bolts wont fit the spare???????????? :woohoo:

Cant confirm it with your van Dusty.

I would seek further advice just to be on the safe side, seems like JTQ's Hymer and my fleetwood (Built by Adria) which could be classed as foreign I suppose being built in Slovenia are two makes that have this scenario.

My first source was from a fellow hymer (Sprocket) owner and it was confirmed by Western Towing attachments that they are different. Got the new ones from Here

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Bit late at night now , but I will put a quesrion into Cc and also C and CcC , tomorrow and see what they say. But who makes the Wheels and hubs. ..although ALKo assemble the chassies, The brakkes etc are outsourced. Although the lenghs of the bolt might seem strange and over long, if there is no interverence with anything then it is all right.

Lets try and get an answer on this.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Western Towing seemed to imply to me that all Alloys and steels have different studs, they even rang there other depot to confirm.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
This is taken from the Alko web site. Link-go to page 41

SPECIAL NOTE - ALUMINIUM WHEELS
The standard M12 x 1.5 60o Conical Wheel bolts are NOT
SUITABLE for aluminium wheel rims. Special wheel bolts should
be used.

So seems it's the alloys that have the special bolts and standard ones for the steel one :blush:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts