ALKO towball V standard

Jun 29, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I've had a previous post on here regarding my extended neck ALKO towball rusting. I know the answer was simply to clean it with sandpaper but I also remember my previous gold/bronze coloured standard towball never rusted.

If I use one of these standard ones with an extension spacer does anyone know of any problems?

Thanks.

G

A standard towball should not be used with any ALKO hitch stabiliser as the design of the ALKO hitch requires a greater height under the actual ball. Fitting a spacer will not make any difference regarding the tow hitch fitting correctly and may put an extra unacceptable strain on your towbar.

If your van does not have an ALKO hitch stabiliser then you can use the standard towball happily.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The AlKo stabiliser does not require more height under the towball. What it does need is enough clearance between the ball and the mounting flange. A standard class A 50-1 towball only has 40mm between the centreline of the ball and the top surface of the mounting flange. This is not enough for the AlKo coupling.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Lutz is right. The extra needed is in the length when fitted to a U.K. (witter type) tow bar. It does not matter on Brinks or swan neck type tow bar/ball. With the witter type it is often the case that the plates for the electrics,drop plates, spacer plates, bike racks ect are all fitted between the back face of the tow ball and the tow bar. If this area stands proud of the back face of the tow ball you will get conflict as the distance from the centre point of an Alco head and its leading edge is greater than standard coupling heads.

If a spacer is fitted it needs to be level with the back upper face of the tow ball and idealy the spacer only needs to be as thick as the difference in length between the Alco extra length ball and the standard one, otherwise you will increase the tourque on the bar unnesesaryly.

ttfn

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
phorbiuz,

You should remove all tow-ball surface coatings when using an ALKO or Winterhoff stabiliser, and this includes any plated surface.

Certainly a paint covering will contaminate the pads in the coupling head and possibly result in annoying squeaks - and the same applies to a plated tow-ball.

I know it seems a shame to remove that nice plating, making it vulnerable to rusting, and you may not get a case of the squeaks anyway - but's it's the recommendation.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts