alloy wheels

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
has anybody had a wheel come off their caravan as they were going along ? it happend to myself the other week,damaging the underside of the caravan.trying to contact my insurance was impossible they are only open 9.00-5-00 mon-fri (caravan club insurance).my repair shop said its not unusual for the nearside wheels of caravans to come off!this was due to a blow out last june and had apparently damaged the axle ,although we had it serviced in sept no problem was noticed.so if you have a blow out have your axle checked.the caravan is a compass with alloy wheels and only 2 1/2 years old!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Even the Caravan Club had a wheel come off during the towcar of the year tests a few years ago.Its usually the nearside one.I always check mine with a torque wrench since stopping to help a little old man whose wheel was inside the kitchen cupboard. Incidently alloy wheels should have the correct bolts(different to steel wheel) and be torqued at 85 lb ft rather that 65lb ft for steel wheels.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
Even the Caravan Club had a wheel come off during the towcar of the year tests a few years ago.Its usually the nearside one.I always check mine with a torque wrench since stopping to help a little old man whose wheel was inside the kitchen cupboard. Incidently alloy wheels should have the correct bolts(different to steel wheel) and be torqued at 85 lb ft rather that 65lb ft for steel wheels.
Hi

Nearside wheel loss is not uncommon. Tha Ambulance service had serious problewms years ago and a lot of research was done then, and later, but no definite cause has been found. Torque your wheel bolts/nuts never rely on guessing and RE-TORQUE after the first 50 miles or so. Bolts/nuts should be clean and DRY not oiled.

I have plastic "arrows" fitted to each bolt which makes it easy to see if one has come loose (you have probably seen them on trucks) and they are available in some caravan shops. If not, Volvo truck Dealers sell them in all nut sizes including 19mm at a ridiculous low price (About 20p each)...bet they wish I had never put that! These may not fit alloy wheels as they have a deep recess. Beejay

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts