Am I anti children please help!

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 1, 2005
Visit site
I've really enjoyed reading through this thread, it seems to be a really emotive topic so I couldn't resist leaving my comments as well.

We have 2 kids, 4 and 8 and I like to think that we are responsible parents. Neither are particularly noisy by nature so perhaps we are lucky in this respect. However one of the main reasons we opt for caravan holidays is the freedom it gives our children to play in a safe open air environment with the opportunity to make friends with other children. We have just spent a wonderful week in the new forest where they were able to explore and play in the forest without us boring adults directing their every move.

However, I absolutley agree that whatever your children are doing, it is your responsibility as parents to make sure that they are not causing other caravanners/campers any annoyance, and certainly that they are not in a position where they could cause damage to property. How you do this is up to the individual parents to decide, children need to be set clear boundaries which, if ignored, lead to punishment (by the way I'm talking about loss of treats etc here not physical). Parenting is never easy but at the end of the day you must accept responsibility for their actions.

As a general observation, we have camped and caravanned both with and without children for the last 20 odd years and have only once had cause to remark on the behaviour of children on the campsite. Perhaps we have just been lucky.

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
Angus do you mean that the noise of children playing is an inconvience? how awful i am sure you dont mean it. What we have to remember is that not all parents set up their units and crack open the merrydown cider and leave their kids on their own, i wouldnt dream of it, there may be some undesirable caravanners about. some of us do take it in turn to 'trail' behind their kids and tell them off when and if needed. Again can we remember to not get personal its only a topic a much worn topic

yvonne

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi mandy, i have two children 6 and 14. i have a brand new senaotr wyoming and a 57 plate santa fe cdx 7. i wouldnt want children playing around my van like that. our kids can have a swing ball and anything else goes on the playing field. this is why i go on caravan club sites the no ball games rule.

if someones kid damaged my van or car who would pay?, yes the insurance but who would pay the excess the parent whos child kid the damage i dont think so.

so mandy i agree with you.

jo-anne ( in her mid 30's )

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
hi mandy, i have two children 6 and 14. i have a brand new senaotr wyoming and a 57 plate santa fe cdx 7. i wouldnt want children playing around my van like that. our kids can have a swing ball and anything else goes on the playing field. this is why i go on caravan club sites the no ball games rule.

if someones kid damaged my van or car who would pay?, yes the insurance but who would pay the excess the parent whos child kid the damage i dont think so.

so mandy i agree with you.

jo-anne ( in her mid 30's )
Last week we were in Nice and 3 young teenage beys and a girl were playing aroun in a shopping mall. Two Gendarmes saw them and one called out and the kids froze. The Gendarmes pointed to a bench a nd the meeekly walked to it and sat down. From a distance it was obvious from the chin down body language that the police were getting no cheek or back chat.

In Italy on site Italian and German and Swiss children were a delight to have around. All very polite and respectful of adults from what we could see and have seen before.

Rather than the who the **** are you and **** off attitude of British youngsters when a non related adult asks them to behave.

I think many of us are anti UK behaviour standards rather than anti child.

Italian family and friends group of 23 and sat with polite young children having a sip of wine and mineral water with their lunch and quietly talking within the group just stuck as kids that will not be rollng drunk binge drinkes in a few years time.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Last week we were in Nice and 3 young teenage beys and a girl were playing aroun in a shopping mall. Two Gendarmes saw them and one called out and the kids froze. The Gendarmes pointed to a bench a nd the meeekly walked to it and sat down. From a distance it was obvious from the chin down body language that the police were getting no cheek or back chat.

In Italy on site Italian and German and Swiss children were a delight to have around. All very polite and respectful of adults from what we could see and have seen before.

Rather than the who the **** are you and **** off attitude of British youngsters when a non related adult asks them to behave.

I think many of us are anti UK behaviour standards rather than anti child.

Italian family and friends group of 23 and sat with polite young children having a sip of wine and mineral water with their lunch and quietly talking within the group just stuck as kids that will not be rollng drunk binge drinkes in a few years time.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Interesting observation Sadie. Since kids are kids of any nationality, it leads us to the obvious conclusion that it's not the kids that are the problem, it's the upbringing - and that points the finger at parents - which is where I've always laid the blame for the bad uns...!!!

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
GOD

CREATED CHILDREN (AND IN THE PROCESS

GRANDCHILDREN)

To those of us who have children in our lives, whether they are our own, grandchildren, nieces, nephews,or students... here is something to make you

chuckle.

Whenever your children are out of control, you can take comfort from the thought that even God's omnipotence did not extend to his own children.

After creating heaven and earth,God created Adam and Eve.

And the first thing he said was

' DON'T

! '

'Don't what ? '

Adam replied.

'Don't eat the forbidden fruit.' God

said.

'Forbidden fruit ? We have forbidden fruit ?

Hey Eve.we have forbidden

fruit ! '

' No Way ! ' ? ?

'Yes way ! ' ? ?

'Do NOT eat the fruit ! ' said God.

'Why ? '

'Because I am your Father and I said so ! ' God replied, wondering why He hadn't stopped creation after making the elephants.

A few minutes later, God saw His children having an apple break

and He was ticked off!

'Didn't I tell you not to eat the fruit ? ' God asked.

'Uh huh,' Adam

replied.

'Then why did you ? ' said the Father.

'I don't know,' said Eve.

'She started it ! ' Adam said.

'Did not ! '

'Did too ! '

'DID NOT ! '

Having had it with the two of them, God's punishment was that Adam and Eve should have children of their own.

Thus the pattern was set and it has never changed.

If you have persistently and lovingly tried to give children wisdom and they haven't taken it, don't be hard on yourself.

If God had trouble raising children, what makes you think it

would be a piece of cake for you ?

THINGS TO THINK

ABOUT

!

1. You spend the first two years of their life teaching them to walk and talk. Then you spend the next sixteen telling them to sit down and shut up.

Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your own

children.

Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young.

4. Children

seldom misquote you.

In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you

shouldn't have said

5. The

main purpose of holding children's parties is to remind yourself that there

are children more awful than your own

6. We childproofed our homes, but

they are still getting in.

ADVICE FOR THE DAY:

Be nice to your

kids.