Am I missing something?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello all!

Went to a CC site this weekend from Friday to Sunday- sun shone, nice pitch all good really, BUT.......

There were a group who had a fair few kids between them who allowed their kids to take over the whole site. At one point they were throwing a football that hit a (new) caravan alongside (not related to the group) more that once, then hit their (again new) Dicovery a few times before going into the awning and 4 kids running in there to fetch it! After this the water pistols came out and soaked everyone around them! Where were the parents? They were watching the whole thing without saying a word! I don't mind kids playing at all- but surely parents should intervene when they are potentially damaging other peoples property? Or am i just a grumpy old (31) git?

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
No you are not a grumpy old git (wife says I am at 54) You shouldn't have to tolerate this especially on a CC site. Did you talk to the wardens about it? Footballs can do a lot of damage - I know - been there!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No, I don't think you are a grumpy old git. Rather confronting the parents I think you should have had a word with the wardens and let them be the judge and sort the matter out. After all every one is entitled a relaxing break without being wound up by this sort of behaviour.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No, I don't think you are a grumpy old git. Rather confronting the parents I think you should have had a word with the wardens and let them be the judge and sort the matter out. After all every one is entitled a relaxing break without being wound up by this sort of behaviour.
Alistair, snap:)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with all the comments, but I'm confused with the comment "especially on a CC site". Why should it be less likely on a CC site?

Aren't CC sites just like real sites but with less to do? Why should they be less tolarant of kids?

The only reason I can think of, is that the image they have of being a site for older people is true. Can you confirm this please?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No you are not a grumpy old git (wife says I am at 54) You shouldn't have to tolerate this especially on a CC site. Did you talk to the wardens about it? Footballs can do a lot of damage - I know - been there!
As far as I know nothing was said to the warden by those affected -but I may be wrong. I was the next van next to that was hit by the ball and only had a 7 bike race with the 'lap' being around my van and awning to contend with in addition to the power soakers! Said to the warden 'bit noisy here isn't it' as he walked past but he didn't seem to get the hint!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

I agree with Dusty,tell the wardens, if the parents have sat there and watched all this going on and done nothing then they obviously dont give a damn,more worrying is the fact that they actually defend thier kids and in the extreme you get a good kicking for having the cheek to "reprimand" their little angels!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stinky

I have only been caravanning since april,a mate said join the caravan club,I nearly died laughing,until I did join and went to some sites where there where loads of familys!

Im sorry I was guilty of thinking this club was just for snobby,old coffin dodgers,Glad I was wrong !!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had similar problems at Wellington Country Park. Choose a nice big pitch, set up the swingball for OUR OWN kids and before we new it, other kids were using it (The pitch was huge) and I think this was a mistake. We then became the opening to a goal between the 2 trees that were the entrance to our pitch. This followed by my own car being hit a number of times. Whilst this was going the parents (a large group) sat that watching, merrily getting more and more p155ed on alchol and did not seem to give a damn. We asked the children to not play in our pitch (and only did this becuase they were trying to pull up the swingball) and then had hell to live with for the next 2 days being continously bogged out by the large group making us feel very un-comforatable to actually go outside. My kids were younger than theirs and well behaved, they would not of dreamt of behaving like this...

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
I agree with all the comments, but I'm confused with the comment "especially on a CC site". Why should it be less likely on a CC site?

Aren't CC sites just like real sites but with less to do? Why should they be less tolarant of kids?

The only reason I can think of, is that the image they have of being a site for older people is true. Can you confirm this please?
The point I was making Stinky is that in my experience CC sites tend to be quieter in terms of unruly behaviour (Not always kids at fault!) They tend to be fairly strict on security and site rules to make it a pleasant experience for all. they are frequented by all ages.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't get me on this one.........

It's the 'parents/carers' aka 'the savages' who breed 'savages' - no respect for other people or other people's belongings too.

I wish I had a pound for some of the disgraceful things I've seen and heard both on campsites and in general daily life.

Call me grumpy.

lh

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Agree with you lh

We were on a CC site this past weekend and although not cramped there was not masses of room. We tend to allow our children outside games to suit the site. In this instance they were not allowed the football, we played instead with badminton. When they got bored we went for a walk. We were especially pleased when, as we were leaving, the elderly couple in the motor home opposite went out of their way to say to us how considerate, well mannered and well behaved our children were.

I think lh summed it up 'savages breed savages' so there will always be a 'Wayne and wayneter' who will let their children run wild so they can (not always) quietly get p****d.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
me & the family were on a commerical site a few years ago when a boy who was a couple of years older than my daughter 1st punched her ,next day kicked her ,then on the 3rd day

spat the contents of his mouth into her face,when i complained ,first politely informing them that i didn't want any trouble.the three men from this group of three familys followed me back to my caravan where they wanted to fight me , i'am a very proud person who does'nt like to draw attention ,so to have these 3 men in front of me & about 20 caravanning familes watching was sheer hell.perhaps sites should vet or ban large groups..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well Paul, I'm afraid you are missing something. I was brought up to respect my elders and other authority figures. Similarly, I've brought my children to show the same respect for others. Unfortunately, a great many other people of my age (52) didn't do the same and have bred children that simply don't give a damn. Does it really matter if they YOUR car/caravan gets damaged? Of course not. It's not their car or caravan after all and you shouldn't have put your precious possesions in their way. It's a reflection on society and the "me first" culture that it has bred, I'm afraid. Sickening.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lots of complaints here, but what did you all do?

You must complain to the wardens, and tell teh if it happens agains or cobtinues to happen that you will expect a refund of the site fees as they have failed to maintain a duty of care.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It depends on the size of the group, as we stated we became the victims of a very large foul mouthed group of adults with kids who were no better. We were the only caravan amongst this group and after the events felt prssured to stay with the van for fear of leaving it and having it damaged further. These parents did not seem to give a **** and if nothing encouraged the kids to play away from their vans and near ours. What I forgot to mention was when one of the parents whet ape-**** on one of the teenage kids who managed to hit his Dad's own car. Funny yet they did not give a damn or apologise after hitting ours twice, we even felt we could not check the car while they were all sat their for fears of abuse...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thankfully I have not experienced such bad behaviour apart from irresponcible dog ownership mentioned in another thread.

However we did have a problem with at home when a neihbour started acting in a bizarre way. We and others set up our cam corders to capture what was going on.

We then showed the Police who interviewed the guy who at first denied he had done anything. Apparently the look on his face when he was shown the video made even the hardened Policemen laugh.

He was cautioned and we have had no problems since.

Small digital camcorders are inexpensive and could provide all the evidence needed. Ours is a Packhard Bell no bigger than the palm of my hand and was bought from Dixons at just

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, as the originator of this thread I am surprised at how many people have experienced similar. I thought that it was just me. In response to the points above- those of us who were annoyed by the situation on site did not complain because the parents had been steadily drinking nost of the day (common theme here?) and didn't want their attitude spoiling my stay any more.

Next time I will probably do something about it- but it seems that Chris was right- I am missing the fact that good manners have gone in some families and allwoing your kids to scream at full volume is fine...as long as they are near someone else!

Let's all hope we have better time ahead of us- Ahh the winter season- empty sites and peace and quiet! Have a good day!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree with Paul - My caravan (and previously the tent) does not come out during the school holidays. I am not anti children - I have two, now grown up - but the bliss of quite campsites is hard to describe.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
It is precisely because of these type of children and families that we now feel we stand a better chance with some adult only sites and not because we are against children in general.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are also nasty couples (no kids) who are intolerant of children. Using Chris's example we should also have family only sites so that those with children don't have to put up with them.

But that would be prejudice and un-inclusive in a society where we want integration. Not to mention unfair and probably un-lawful.

See what I'm getting at?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are also nasty couples (no kids) who are intolerant of children. Using Chris's example we should also have family only sites so that those with children don't have to put up with them.

But that would be prejudice and un-inclusive in a society where we want integration. Not to mention unfair and probably un-lawful.

See what I'm getting at?
Have often said this and been shouted down. How I agree with you.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site

See what I'm getting at?
I think you are the one missing something now S-P - the issue is clearly around the bad manners, ignorance and selfishness of those whose behaviour spoils the enjoyment of others. These people are usually adults whose attitudes have permeated to their off spring. You are just as likely to come across these people on any site - anywhere, anytime, anyplace eg partying and being loud till all hours of the night (3.30am in one recent experience) I feel sorry for site owners having to deal with this but it is them or their wardens who ultimately need to deal with this, not individuals on a one to one basis.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
I think you are the one missing something now S-P - the issue is clearly around the bad manners, ignorance and selfishness of those whose behaviour spoils the enjoyment of others. These people are usually adults whose attitudes have permeated to their off spring. You are just as likely to come across these people on any site - anywhere, anytime, anyplace eg partying and being loud till all hours of the night (3.30am in one recent experience) I feel sorry for site owners having to deal with this but it is them or their wardens who ultimately need to deal with this, not individuals on a one to one basis.
Hi Alistair, Exactly right, after all we all put a lot of hard-earned money into these breaks and feel justifiably miffed if selfish people spoil them, no matter whether children or adults.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Am I missing something here? I thought this was a complaint from a family with children complaining about another family with children. What has that got to do with adult only sites?

I am quite happy for sites to run on a no children then no admittance policy. All you have to do is convince site owners to do so. If there are grumpy people, (naturally without children - although some with children are grumpy as well), why would families want them anywhere near them, surely they are better of out of the way at the adult only sites?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts